Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 am
hey what up?
my name is Lee and i'm a vampire.
well not in the Bram Stoker's Dracula way anyway.
ok i like blood and the night and i don't like the sun all that much.
but a lot of things i like are gothic and i was thinking what the difference is really?
what makes and goth a goth and a vamp a vamp?
or are we all just on different levels in the same gothic world?
i want to get to know the rest of you better so tell me what you think.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:27 am
Goths are fans of goth rock.
Vampires are fairy tales.  

Sinister Kung Fu

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Goths are fans of goth rock.
Vampires are fairy tales.

I was going to say essentially the same thing. Since you already said it, I may as well elaborate...

Goth is a culture. It's been around for about 30 years. It was the love-child of post-punk, glam, experimental, and classic horror films. Goth-rock is a genre of music. It has numerous subgenres and fusion genres, like death-rock, darkwave, and dark cabaret. Goth has numerous associated styles of fashion. Goth has iconography. Celebrities. Aesthetics.

Vampires are fictional beings from eastern Europe. Then they became the monsters of novels and film. Vampires can also be a theme. Vampirism can be a fetish. In some places, there is a subculture of otherkin who consider themselves vampires.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:53 pm
ok good point.
but i don't like most gothic music or at least what i've heard i don't like.
and what about if you only like the gothic clothes or if you like to drink blood. can you be goth and not dress in all black or not like death metal and still be gothic?
what makes a goth a goth?  

Hollow_Banki

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.
and what about if you only like the gothic clothes or if you like to drink blood. can you be goth and not dress in all black or not like death metal and still be gothic?

the defining factor is the appreciation of goth rock. there is nothing else that makes you a goth. Since the goth culture grew from the music, the two are inseparable.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:13 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.

the defining factor is the appreciation of goth rock. there is nothing else that makes you a goth. Since the goth culture grew from the music, the two are inseparable.

Here here. Also...

Death metal is metal subgenera, no relation to gothrock. Metal came from blues rock, goth rock came from punk rock I belive.

Dressing in black 24/7 doesn't make you goth. Darker colors are assosciated with us, but it really isn't a strongly defining trait.

Sounds like you've got a fetish.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Draco Vampir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:04 pm
Vampires as you're thinking of them are fictional, though there is a reality to vampirism. it involves an awakening, and alot of really odd changes in a person, and the need to feed off of energy(read, ENERGY, not Blood, though some feed off of the energy contained in blood).

Goth is a subculture based around a subgenre of music that began in the late 70s, had its heyday in the 80s, and has sort of meandered since. this genre of music is called Deathrock, and has it's beginnings in the punk subculture. later the gothic subculture was expanded to include other genres such as Post-punk, Psychobilly, Darkwave, and most recently techno subgenres such as EBM, Industrial, and Electro.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 am
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.

What have you heard?

Quote:
and what about if you only like the gothic clothes or if you like to drink blood.

Its sort of strange you like to drink blood...

Quote:
can you be goth and not dress in all black or not like death metal and still be gothic?

Death metal belongs to another subculture. If you don't like death metal it won't effect you turning up to Goth events or being a Goth generally. Listen to Goth rock, darkwave, death rock, industrial and EBM, those are the genres most any Goth would be familiar with.

Quote:

That old chestnut lol.

If you like Goth rock, or darkwave, then you can be a Goth. I think death rock is included, but also has its own term for its fans. Likewise, industrial and EBM are simply tagged on, and while they play a vital part in the subculture it is possible to be Goth and not into industrial.  

xStephanx

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 pm
well i didn't know that.
thanks for the info  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm
Goths exist and vampires don't. eek  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:57 am
Well I believe that vampires exist... Then again I believe in a lot of things xD Whether otherkin, spiritual, or physical, vamps are real.
Those who believe they are only fiction simply have not experienced them, and so they think they aren't real (lame).
Never give up your beliefs just because people say they're wrong. It's not like they know for sure.

As for the difference. Goth is a subculture and lifestyle, vampires are a kind of people. Vamps are on the darker side of life and often relate themselves to the Gothic lifestyle.

I have just a little of Vampiric blood in my family, I have it more than the rest of my family I believe. But it's not a lot, but definitely there.
Might you be an Otherkin, Hollow_Banki?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am
The one factor that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that "otherkin" are completely full of s**t - they all have to be something 'cool'. notice none of them are ever goats, or lobsters, or platypuses. They all pretend to be vampires, or elves, or dragons, or wolves or some other equally ridiculous nonsense.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 am
wow i never knew that goths could be so hateful of something so gothic in nature. you know you can all try and be a little more open minded.
but no you just want to be the same as everyone else and put something down just cuz it's not something you're into.
and i'm glad at least one person in this gulid is willing to look outside the box.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:38 pm
Not all Goths are Vamps, nor are all Vamps Goths. It's already been said that Goth has spawned from music and classic horror films, and last time I checked, classic horror films contained Vampires from time to time. I don't know why Vamps aren't considered part of the Gothic culture seeing as they sort of established their culture off of movies containing Vamps. Yes, Vampirism is more of a fetish than anything. A lot of Vamps like Gothic stuff, but I'm not so sure the same could be said for the other side. Goth is superficial, Vamps have a fetish. There's your difference. There's a difference between looking outside of the box to give you what you want to hear and being told what's what. You asked for what's what, that's what you got.  

DioRte

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 pm
you do have a point.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items