Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
pencils??? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

which one?
  graphite
  colored pencils
  charcoal
  ink
  i don't draw.
View Results

-Tiktax-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:47 pm
i have just been wondering what kind of colored pencils dose everyone use??? i have had that question for a long time and i need an answer!if you have any recomendations and samples of work you used the pencils on plaese let me know!!!

thanx!
-Tiktax-  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:06 pm
That's a good inquiry. I've used the prismacolors because that's what the school told me to get. I hardly used them too. I'm not really too familiar with using them.

Someone told me watercolor pencils are nice.

As far as graphite goes, I just got woodless ones and they kick a**.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:23 pm
I use Prismacolors as well. One thing I didn't know about them (in case you do buy them) is that you should only use a mechanical pencil sharpener with them because they are so soft they don't sharpen well with the electronic ones.

As for examples... I don't really scan much of my traditional art, but I have a group of sketches on my dA gallery from when I first got them with all of the colors (set of 48 ) being tested (link).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:34 pm
I use Prismascolors & Crayola. It's nice to have a combination of both hard and soft pencils to use. (And with Crayola you get more colors for less money!)

http://horus-goddess.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Colored-Pencil-39218040

That's the tutorial I use, essentially. I tweak some things stylistically. But I really haven't touched my colored pencils in a long time. o____o;;

WWW is my gallery. There's prolly really old colored stuff in there. (Beware. xD)
http://zhoushijie.deviantart.com/art/Monochrome-Alice-46457338
That's a half-decent one. ;DD  

KotokoPlum

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:27 pm
Pomato Soup
I use Prismacolors as well. One thing I didn't know about them (in case you do buy them) is that you should only use a mechanical pencil sharpener with them because they are so soft they don't sharpen well with the electronic ones.

As for examples... I don't really scan much of my traditional art, but I have a group of sketches on my dA gallery from when I first got them with all of the colors (set of 48 ) being tested (link).

I wish I'd have known that before. My electric sharpener doesn't work now cause a color tip is broken in there.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:49 am
So that's what the white colored pencil is for!!!

Never tried colored pencils because the colors are never vibrant enough.
Or maybe I just have bad supplies.  

Mogtoats

GB_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 am
Haha...I just use whatever stock of colored pencils I had from childhood, with brands like Rose-art and Crayola. Once in a while I use prismacolor, but for some reason I still like my cheap brand pencils. (I wonder why this one art instructor lady stressed how bad it is to use "non-pro" color pencils. :/ )

Are there ways to even make colored pencil works not looks so grainy on the computer when scanned? Anyway, this is basically how the colored pencil art I made with Crayola and Rose-art pencil looks. (I can't say that the background is colored pencil, but the character is pure colored pencil.)

Sample Link

Oh, and for a really good sharpener brand (non-electronic), the Palomino long-point is really nice. It made my pencils oh so nice and sharp!! The lead wasn't as breakable, but then again I wonder if I'm imagining things....  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:41 pm
I haven't used colour pencils in a while...too lazy to ink and colour >:

I used to use Crayola, but I stopped once I discovered that Laurentian colour pencils aren't as harsh...so that's what I use now.

I'm not sure how to get the grainy parts out of the picture..but colouring over it with a lighter colour might help....well once that's similar to the base colour.  

[evangline]

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm
I usually dont use any color at all since I am a Portrait artist but when I do anime I usually do the same with my portraits, but on occasion I have been known to color some of them.

Here is my DA for Examples

Buddhateddy.deviantart.com  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:41 pm
I tend to use derwent watercolour pencils, they're nice and soft and I can get really gentle washes with them.  

Haloquine

Anetra_Pendragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:50 am
I've wanted to get my hands on some of the Prismacolor pencils to give them a whirl, but haven't had the financial opportunity as of yet.
What I have used, and enjoyed, is the Staedtler watercolour pencils.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 pm
I love the graphite and charcoal sticks. Pastels are pretty much the colored version of the sticks.
They've got great texture, especially on charcoal paper.

If any of you are curious, go to your local art store and ask to try some of their supplies out!  

DavidFlakes

_Yuichi-Kun_18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm
well i would use the charcoal... it has the traditional effect im pretty used to it when i draw landscapes, portraits... etc.. whats the best tools for manga,,?? any suggestions??  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:36 am
prismacolor colored pencils are excellent for getting rich colors, but not for blending, i've noticed.

i like derwent's inktense ink-based water-soluble pencils for a good amount of richness, blending, and once they've been exposed to water, they become waterproof (more or less), so layering colors is very easy.

i don't have any examples, but i recommend trying the inktense. i'm not sure if they sell them individually yet (i got to try them at an art materials expo), but maybe you can find them on display or something, or even find a friend who has them and ask to try them.

prismacolor's lighter colors are great on brown paper, by the way.

(i just picked up their watercolor pencils, but have yet to try them. but i suppose they're good.)

also, try out prismacolor's new lightfast colored pencil, which are archival and will not fade when exposed to light (or so they say...), they have a really nice texture, which i feel is just a little different from regular prismacolor pencils.  

Romanticism

Obito

Fashionable Explorer

5,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm
I use a mechanical lead pencil(0.5 lead) for doing sketches because the lines they produce are thin. Occasionally, I use 0.7 lead pencils for thicker and darker line drawings.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff