Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Lucid Dreaming/Spirit Quests question Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EternityRising

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 pm
Dear fellow Pagans,

Merry Meet! I hope you all are doing well in this "pre-New Years" couple of days! I have a question that I'm hoping you all can answer....

Has anyone here ever experienced a lucid dream (either a DILD or a WILD) and used it to go on a Spirit Quest or have you ever just fallen asleep and realized you were on a Spirit Journey?

If you have experienced a lucid dream, do you do it on a regular basis or is/was it a one-time thing? If its a regular occurance, what are you doing in order to promote them? Do you have any recommendations as to how to proceed during them or to start them? Are there any rules of conduct you've noticed as you've gone through them?

Thank you very much for any information you all can give! I hope everyone has a great New Year and Merry Meet Again!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 pm
EternityRising
Dear fellow Pagans,
Not a pagan, but hey- that hasn't stopped me before.
Quote:

Has anyone here ever experienced a lucid dream
wink Lots of folks.
Quote:

and used it to go on a Spirit Quest or have you ever just fallen asleep and realized you were on a Spirit Journey?
Define "spirit quest".
Quote:

If you have experienced a lucid dream, do you do it on a regular basis or is/was it a one-time thing? If its a regular occurance, what are you doing in order to promote them?
Sometimes I simply notice and take it from there.

Other times I am using sacred sleep- including ingesting certain things before bed and saying specific prayers.
Quote:

Do you have any recommendations as to how to proceed during them or to start them?
Depends on the tradition.
My tradition prohibits me leaving certain areas, or any form of invocation.  

TeaDidikai

Milendil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:43 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by spirit journey/spirit quest, DILD/WILD.

I lucid dream...a lot. Like every dream I have it is lucid. But for some reason I cannot control the environment. I can control certain aspects. Like a bunch of times I always try to walk through stuff. It's really difficult, and I can never manage to do it fully.

I do nothing to have lucid dreams. They just come to me. I guess I just realize I am dreaming when something is a little off in the dream. Then I try stuff.

When I was in the middle of a lucid dream, I wanted to AP. Instead of APing though, I just kept flying into buildings/ruins in the sky.

I did manage to AP once through a lucid dream. That was fun; I met three of my spirit guardians...sorta.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 pm
Thank you for the replies so far!

By "Spirit Quest" I mean using the lucid dream environment to explore your religion, perchance to meet the Gods/Goddesses, or just find out more about yourself on the path to enlightenment. I first heard it (I know I know, not the best reference) by Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager. He used the term to mean the spirit journeys some Native American's take in order to find their familiars and experience enlightenment.

I have found a book that I ordered at work (nice being the guy who can order books for a bookstore! biggrin Our New Age section is a LOT better than our Religion section [on a side note, we're tempted to change the "Religion and Inspiration" sign to "Old Age" or "Religion and Insanity" while keeping the "New Age" sign the same.) that has a LOT of information about supplements you can take to help. If you have read this book or know of some of the supplements mentioned (such as 5-HTP, L-dopa, Galantamine, etc) that info would be wonderful as well!

The book is:
"Advanced Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Supplements"
'How to Induce High Level Lucid Dreams & Out of Body Experiences'
by Thomas Yuschak

He lists a bunch of references in the back as well.

Thanks again Milendil and TeaDidkai! I hope you and everyone else have a great New Year!  

EternityRising

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:11 am
EternityRising

By "Spirit Quest" I mean using the lucid dream environment to explore your religion, perchance to meet the Gods/Goddesses, or just find out more about yourself on the path to enlightenment.
Why limit lucid dreams to this function?

There are many sacred sleep rites and the like designed to do just this without using lucid dreams.

Quote:
[on a side note, we're tempted to change the "Religion and Inspiration" sign to "Old Age" or "Religion and Insanity"
Wow... what a bigoted position.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:22 am
*sigh* Apparently my humour just does not get across to people sometimes.

Ah well, try the veal I'll be here all week! xd

I'm not planning on limiting lucid dreams to just that purpose but I figured it was a good platform to start out from because of the characteristics of lucid dreaming.  

EternityRising

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:02 am
EternityRising
*sigh* Apparently my humour just does not get across to people sometimes.
I just don't find degrading other theologies as funny.

Quote:
I'm not planning on limiting lucid dreams to just that purpose but I figured it was a good platform to start out from because of the characteristics of lucid dreaming.
Actually, Patch has had some amazing dreams involving gods lately- but they weren't lucid.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:49 am
Haha, I did a double take when I saw my name then xD
Tea is correct though 3nodding Most nights now I dream something very interesting.

I've been lucid dreaming to some extent since I was very little. I actually thought it came naturally to everyone. It means I don't get nightmares often, and If I want, I can wake myself up( I just close my eyes in the dream, and open them in reality).

It's funny though, because as I've had these interesting dreams more often; I've lucid dreamed less. Perhaps it's because my dreams are coming from other places now? As opposed to my own mind?  

patch99329

haine13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:13 pm
iv always wanted to lucid dream or AP but i havent been able to yet...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 pm
patch99329
Haha, I did a double take when I saw my name then xD
Tea is correct though 3nodding Most nights now I dream something very interesting.

I've been lucid dreaming to some extent since I was very little. I actually thought it came naturally to everyone. It means I don't get nightmares often, and If I want, I can wake myself up( I just close my eyes in the dream, and open them in reality).

It's funny though, because as I've had these interesting dreams more often; I've lucid dreamed less. Perhaps it's because my dreams are coming from other places now? As opposed to my own mind?

I experience the same thing...
or rather.. something very similar  

Celtic of the Fae

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:42 pm
I'm still confused about the tie-in between lucid dreams and "spirit quests" according to your definition. Must you be in a lucid dream state in order to have a "spirit journey"? Is every "spirit journey" a lucid dream? Or is this a case of borrowing scientific terms to bolster spiritual claims?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm
TheDisreputableDog
I'm still confused about the tie-in between lucid dreams and "spirit quests" according to your definition. Must you be in a lucid dream state in order to have a "spirit journey"? Is every "spirit journey" a lucid dream? Or is this a case of borrowing scientific terms to bolster spiritual claims?
I think that it is suggesting that lucid dreams can be a tool used to engage in "spirit journeys".  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:16 am
I have, of late, had lucid dreams, but not in my own dreamscapes.
I have been in other people's dreamscapes... and it is mildly disturbing. Especially when they call me the next day to tell me how odd it was that I turned up in their dream...

Beyound that, sometimes, in my lucid dreams, I encounter something that attempts to over-rule my lucidity of the dream... it's hard to really describe and I have been reluctant to post about it as I am still unsure of most of what is going on... or rather, I am so sure that I know I would articulate it in such a way that people may stop thinking me harmless crazy, and start thinking me dangerous crazy. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:33 am
When I was little I used to have some lucid dreams, but I didn't really think much about them at the time. Later, I stopped having lucid dreams.

A few years ago, I kept waking up in sleep paralysis. And when it happened I would do one of two things. I would either force myself to wake up, or I would fall back asleep, and I could move my mind into a dream and be completely lucid pretty easily.

Well, then the whole sleep paralysis thing stopped. And I kept having dreams about this person I know. They were very pleasant dreams, but never lucid, and I missed the lucid dreams.

So I started sort of obsessing over lucid dreaming. I would read about all kinds of techniques. I kept a dream journal. I paid insane amounts of attention to every little detail from my dreams. I started checking if I was dreaming all the time.

And I started lucid dreaming again. It started out kind of slow. I'd be in a dream, and I'd realize I was dreaming, but most of the time I would wake up pretty quickly, or the world would sort of fade out.

So I started paying more attention to details in reality. Keeping my mind focused enough on my surroundings so that in my dreams it will be able to hold my surroundings in place. I'd stare at pictures and objects until I could recreate them fully in my mind. Every detail, every texture. And my dreams did become more vivid. I wasn't having many lucid dreams at that time, but I remember at one point I was in a dream and I noticed it had "better graphics than real life". I didn't become lucid in that dream, though. (It was quite an interesting dream, though. Something had happened and my mind was repressing it, and I was a complete emotional wreck. We were in this like... place where people lived secluded from the rest of society. It's hard to explain what it was like. But we had this little house. And my boyfriend was sleeping on one of the beds. And I asked this other guy if he'd be my protector. And I made combat boots appear on my feet, but I don't think I really had combat boots, because everyone else seemed to not see them. And then my brother had this fake knife and I was crying because he was acting like he was going to kill kittens. But my protector had gone to sleep too. But the guy I liked in 4th grade was there and he was still awake. And he sneaked the kittens out the back door when my brother went outside for a few minutes.)

But anyway... I kind of went off topic there. But my dreams at that time were really vivid. And I actually had a lucid dream, but I woke up fairly quickly, but it was vivid. But I found if I kept my eyes closed and didn't move, and visualized something from my dream I could reenter it. So I did that a few times. Sometimes it worked, sometimes whatever I was visualizing would change. Like one time the ladder from the playground in one of my dreams turned into a brick and I found myself in an old museum.

But then I would stop dreaming for weeks at a time in between dreams. So I just stopped trying, and I started dreaming again. And now they're almost always lucid. Another strange side effect, I am aware of my thoughts as I'm falling asleep, and I actually remember thinking things as I fall asleep. I'm going to have to remind myself to try and focus them and see what happens. Most of the time, my thoughts as I fall asleep are disconnected and random. There are spiraling shapes and random words and objects and ideas are connecting in my mind. It feels kind of like a tornado and I'm catching glimpses of things in my subconscious rushing around.

I think if I were to try to focus those thoughts more and try to focus my lucid dreams on things other than people I find cute then I could use lucid dreams for some kind of spiritual journey.  

QueenSpiffy

Roukan Ookami

750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:08 pm
ive been having some REALLY weird dreams this last week and i hav been able to controle the things that i do and can affect others with my actions,
would anyone happen to know of any books on inturperting dreams?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff