Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
18+ "Why are you Pagan" survey Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 pm
I happened across this survey today via Chas Clifton (an honest to goodness pagan academic). It is being done by graduate students at the University of Idaho, and concentrates one why people join Pagan religions. It is aimed at converts, but I suppose if you are a different strain of pagan than your parents, that will count too.

18 and over only, thank you.

You can find the survey here  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:03 am
Nice to see some folks doing more studies. whee  

Starlock

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:06 am
Intersting survey. I'm curious to see how this turns out for the people. I might email them inquiring about such, or maybe even volunteer for more interviews.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:18 am
It's an interesting survey. They might have to junk my responses though. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

sprite_of_the_shadows

Lady Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:16 am
Cool, this survey was not only good I think for the ones doing the study but it got me thinking about what exactly I believe too.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:20 pm
Heilsan Allir,

I'd love for them to interview me, but it could be a bit hard me being in Australia and all... LOL

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:34 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Allir,

I'd love for them to interview me, but it could be a bit hard me being in Australia and all... LOL

Ver thu heil

It's all online. Unless it was US only, you shouldn't have a problem.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:01 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Allir,

Ver thu heil
Calling cards are fun!  

TeaDidikai

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49 pm
Nuri
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Allir,

Ver thu heil

It's all online. Unless it was US only, you shouldn't have a problem.

I dont remember it being US only, so I think he would be able to.

On another note, can someone please send me their email addresses? I decided to do an interview, but the only way I can get their emails is by filling out the survey again. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:08 pm
If you have questions about the study or interview, you can ask the investigators during the interview, when the interview is complete, or at any time you feel is appropriate. Please contact Michell Wood M.S. (wood8762@uidaho.edu), Chris Wood M.F.A. (wood87632uidaho.edu) or Dr. Deirdre Sommerlad-Rogers, Department of Justice Studies, 208-885-4210, drogers@uidaho.edu.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:44 pm
Intersting survey, I had to think on a couple of the questions.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:40 am
TeaDidikai
It's an interesting survey. They might have to junk my responses though. sweatdrop
I have to keep saying I haven't left the religion of my family of origin.  

TheDisreputableDog

EternityRising

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 am
I am considering doing a history of paganism and its affect on America as my senior thesis project for my History major. That or what people believe the "Founding Fathers" believed. I actually did not know that Benjamin Franklin was a polytheist but I did know Jefferson was a Deist.

If anyone has any suggestions for books, etc. I'd really appreciate them! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:53 pm
EternityRising
I actually did not know that Benjamin Franklin was a polytheist
I still don't know that... since in "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion" he states:
"I Believe there is one Supreme most perfect Being, Author and Father of the Gods themselves. ... He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no Worship or Praise from us, but that he is even infinitely above it.

He also states:

"It is that particular wise and good God, who is the Author and Owner of our System, that I propose for the Object of my Praise and Adoration."

Ben was an Eutheistic Trancendent Kathenotheist.  

TeaDidikai

EternityRising

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 pm
Benjamin Franklin was definitely a polytheist. He wrote on several occasions about how he felt the structure of the universe was in a religious sense.

The idea he proposed was that there was an OverDeity(s), one that created the lesser Gods/Goddesses, of which there is one that ruled over each solar system and who created lesser Gods/Goddesses of themselves to aid and guide mankind. By rendering devotion unto these Deities you were in fact rendering devotion to the OverDeity because the OverDeity was so far above us as to not even notice us and what we do or don't do. The devotion the OverDeity received was from the lesser Gods/Goddesses.

I'd quote my sources but I do not have the book handy at the moment. The books title is "Faiths of our Fathers: What the Founding Fathers truly believed."

Why don't I have it you ask? Its because I presented it as a gift to my former Southern Baptist pastor because he believed and said during a sermon on the 4th of July that Thomas Jefferson was a devoted Christian when in fact Jefferson was, if anything, a Deist.

Since I'm a History major and have been an avid student of history since I could read, that really irritated me (not as much as his saying during the same sermon that we should be offended and angered by Muslims and what they are doing to our nation and how horrible it was that a boy could grow up to be taught to love a man...nothing like bigotry and gay-bashing in a Southern Baptist church to get the "AMEN" corner going *GAAAAK* crying ).

So when I saw this book at the Barnes & Noble I work at on campus I bought it and presented it to him with the correction about Jefferson in front of several prominent members of the church and several other people my age. twisted Pissing me off is generally a bad idea and he is still learning that.

If I can find the author's name I will present it here. biggrin  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces