Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you happy with this turn of events?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Saoraan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 am
I hope you all know about Star Trek Online the MMO game that has been in production for the past 3 years. The setting for this game is approximately 21 years after the events chronicled in ST : Nemesis and apparently many things in the ST universe have changed. Perhaps the most poignant example of this is that the Cardassians are now provisional members of the Federation! After the events of ST : DS9 this is an enormous change and perhaps the delicate balance of power in the Alpha Quadrant has shifted. I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 am
Ah ... before I forget, if any of you want to find out more about ST:O here is the url for a site with a great wealth of info about it.

http://www.startrek-online.net/  

Saoraan

meatsack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:05 pm
my god! how was i never made aware of this game! xd

but yeah that does sound a bit off, about the cardassians. all tho by the end of it most of the cardassian people were against the war. so i suppose it is a possible outcome that after their government and military were devastated like that they would be more open to joining the federation.

as a people i actually like the cardasians, so i wouldn't be opposed at all to working with them or playing as one.

but i am DEFINITELY going to have to look into this game a bit more. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:37 am
Check out the link it has all the info that is available at this time.  

Saoraan

-[.Moo.]-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 am
You're kidding?!

Well, the klingons joined with the federation.. So why not the cardys?
Alot of cardassians seemed to me quite nice, jolly, eccentric people. But the military ones were.. Eww.. D:

:'D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 am
actually looking into it i don't see anything about the cardassians, ferengi or the klingons joining the federation of planets, just that they are playable races, and we've seen some lone individuals that have joined starfleet already with Worf and Nog, who's to say there wouldn't be others?  

meatsack

Saoraan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:59 pm
If you read the caption under the picture of Garak about the Cardassians being a playable race it says that they are now a provisional member of the federation.

This is the quote from there

"After 25 years of Federation occupation, Cardassia is now a provisional Federation member."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:54 pm
hmm, well that isn't exactly cannon, nor in keeping with the pre established future timelines that have been hinted at (alto those themselves are non-cannon.)

but they always do switch it up with future timelines, and all video games are pre designated as non-cannon any ways, so what the heck. still looks hella fun. XD  

meatsack

Saoraan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:39 pm
Actually I am fairly certain that the game is cannon. Paramount is playing a part in its production and from all that I have read its storyline is going to incorporate a vast amount of future star trek plot developments and seeing as how the game has been in development for over three years and does not look like it is coming out any time soon I would expect nothing less.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:45 pm
Paramount no longer owns the rights to ST. CBS does. Word is CBS plans on sitting on a lot of new development with the exception of the new movie and my guess is to roll it back out again like Paramount did with ST:TNG.  

sensei_ken

meatsack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:09 am
it wouldn't be cannon any ways, according to all sources that i have found only the live action series and the 10 movies are considered cannon, with a few technical manuals bordering since they are unsure about including them.

all the animated series, all novels, misc. books, games, and even any klingon that hasn't been spoken on the show (or in the movies) is considered to be non-cannon as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:09 pm
yes well, in a lot of future scenes, you do see Cardassian's in Starfleet uniforms, and there is a book I read post Dominion War with Garek as an Ambassador for Cardassia to the Federation.

We all know, that the future holds the Federation being the ones to take over the Alpha and Beta quadrants. Klingon Empire, Cardassian Union, Bajor, Dominon, Romulan Empire, Thorians, Tholians. They will all become Federation Citizens BWAHAHAHAHA  

Josh Paris

Saoraan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:27 pm
From what I have heard and read about the game they are basically making it in place of a new star trek series and that it shall contain a vast amount of plot developments it has the ST license and is making the game accordingly and it is cannon.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:40 pm
Josh Paris
yes well, in a lot of future scenes, you do see Cardassian's in Starfleet uniforms...

actualy i remember the scene you talking about, but that was something like 200 years in the future, and this game takes place only what, 20-30 years past voyager? and it was never stated that the union joined, they just had a cardasian crew member.

books like i said, are irrelevant to cannon.

whatever the powers that be do with the cannon in the future is any ones guess, im just stating their current standing policy on it. xp  

meatsack

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:51 am
I know that books aren't considered canon by most people, but the books following the end of DS9's finale, "What You Leave Behind," and the books that are from Insurrection to Nemesis, the "A Time to..." series, are incredible important to the political and religious structure of not only Bajor, but the Federation, Andor, Cardassia, Ferenginar, the Dominion (Founders, really), and Trill.

MAJOR, MAJOR BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

The "A Time To..." series was most important to the Federation, as it exposed an incredible amount of corruption and outright dirty players that existed in not only the Federation's government, but in Starfleet as well. They follow the Enterprise-E crew in their 'quest,' if you want to call it that, to regain Starfleet's trust after the Insurrection mess. It also reveals a lot of the personal conflicts leading up to Nemesis...such as Beverly leaving for Starfleet Medical, Will and Deanna's wedding, Will taking the Titan for his own, etc.

The books following DS9's end are many, but very, very good.... They are:

Mission Gamma, Pts. 1-4
Rising Son (not necessary to understand,but covers from end of Avatar Pt. 2 to end of next book, as a complement.)
Unity
World of DS9, Bks. 1-3
Warpath

There are a few stories that take place in the Mirror Universe following Warpath, but they don't directly affect ours, as of yet.

Many of the worlds I mentioned above - Bajor, Trill, Andor, Cardassia, the Dominion, Ferenginar - they are all thrown upside and on a roller coaster ride of epic porportions. I know that seems a bit dramatic, but it's true.

The parasites from TNG and DS9 return with a vengence...(btw - Cardassians are immune to them...that gives way to very interesting situations....)...and the parasites' origins are revealed, which results in Trill getting tossed around.

Andor is thrown around because it's revealed that there's a possible way to circumvent the need to have four compatible sexes for reproduction. When you consider that the need to reproduce - and to hold to the four sex way of such - had pratically become the entirety of the Andorian race (much like profits for Ferengi), this would be very unsettling.

The Dominion and Cardassia had similar problems, both stemming from the end of the war. Cardassia's economy and such had been so devastated - especially by that last strafing run - that even almost 9 months later, they still were very dependent on the Federation. The Dominion had problems because Odo, while I commend him for his thinking and love him for it, didn't have much success at all in finding either Jem'Hadar that weren't dependent on White or in finding Founders willing to be open to his way of thinking. (Though there is yet another Weyoun clone...lol.)

Ferenginar has troubles because of Rom and Leeta. Leeta was pregnant (don't remember if that was ever told in the show), and near birth by the end of World of DS9, Pt. 3. Most of Ferenginar wasn't too happy with either the idea of a half-blood heir, or the reforms Rom was making. Quark had to go help his brother.

(Fair warning, this next section has the most important spoilers of all...I suggest stopping if you truly don't want to be spoiled....)

And finally, Bajor.... The beloved Bajor, I think, was the most upturned.... Not only did Kasidy deliver her baby - a little girl - but Ben returned, just in time to be there for Kas and the baby, who was named Rebecca. Also, the parasite infection I referred to earlier was more intense on Bajor than anywhere else. Odo also returned for a short while (me being an Odo/Nerys fan, I was extremely happy heart ), but there where several other events in those books that had me on the edge of my seat.

Also, I have recently read several TNG books that take place AFTER Nemesis:

Death in Winter
Resistance
Before Dishonor
(still reading)

Oh...my...word...these books are incredible.... There were one or two things hinted at in Resistance that were a little farfetched, even for ST...but considering the author was J.M. Dillard, it's understandable. Anyway, I suggest reading the TNG book, Reunion, before these. It'll set the stage for Death in Winter better, but you don't have to. (It would ruin Reunion to read Death in Winter before it though....) But these have been absolutely INCREDIBLE....

I mean...to put it simply, by the time Resistance comes around...the Borg are back in town...and they're pissed. And I mean the 'attack-on-sight,' 'kill-not-assimilate' kind of pissed. cool ...I absolutely love these books. heart

SPOILERS END

I guess what I'm trying to say here is to not count out the events in the books from the game plots yet. You never know what they could pull in. So, I know some of you are pure canon-ists, but keep an open mind, would ya? xd  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff