Submit

Streetlight or Catch?
  Catch 22
  Streetlight Manifesto
  I don't like ska [THEN GET OUT OF THIS GUILD!]
View Results

Black Dragon Disciple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:59 pm
Okay, so anyone who's into ska I meet says they don't like Catch 22: "their singer is gay", "their horns suck"... but the most common thing I get is "Streetlight Manifesto is so much better!" Does anyone agree with me that Catch 22 does, in fact, own face, especially Streetlight's? And why?

I think that if it weren't for Catch, Kalnoky wouldn't have made Streetlight what they are today. Streetlight sounds a lot like Catch BECAUSE of him.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:23 am
Black Dragon Disciple
Okay, so anyone who's into ska I meet says they don't like Catch 22: "their singer is gay", "their horns suck"... but the most common thing I get is "Streetlight Manifesto is so much better!" Does anyone agree with me that Catch 22 does, in fact, own face, especially Streetlight's? And why?

I think that if it weren't for Catch, Kalnoky wouldn't have made Streetlight what they are today. Streetlight sounds a lot like Catch BECAUSE of him.

Wouldn't that be because he was the singer/songwriter for Catch? I don't listen to Catch much, but I hear them with my two best friends all the time. I don't have anything against them, but I love Streetlight Manifesto. I listen to Somewhere in the Between at least once a day, most of the time more > .x>  

mibuwolfX

Slag10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:37 am
Catch 22 is by no means my favorite, but they are far better than a band who hasn't written anything particularly ground breaking since the front man of said band was the front man of Catch... seriously- its been 10 years, and he hasn't changed up his song writing in any way. Its boring, just like their live show. I say yay catch, and streetlight should get a clue and break up now  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28 pm
oi
kids chill
their basicly the same
their drums never change
and their horns are simplistic
im not bashing here
their both good for their only reason
but please dont get upset over either
insted link arms and just dance

!?  

mist-ery

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:32 pm
I used to LOVE Catch22.

Hell, they were my first ska band that I got into WAAAAAAAAY long ago.

They have really gone down hill, and they are no where as good as they used to be.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 pm
Eh... I liked Catch 22 in the Keasbey era... now... blaaah. There's only like two or three songs of theirs I actually listen to post-Keasbey.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Frankenska

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:14 pm
I like both. But I like Catch 22 back in the day better  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:22 pm
I'm not so big on third wave stuff, but I kinda like them both. I think Streetlight's songs are more catchy, but Catch 22 wins it for me because they're a bunch of commies like me (concepts album on Trotsky yo).  

The Leninator!

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:19 pm
wow I love you people who're like. ehh I only like keasbey nights era catch. like you even have listened to s**t since then? you just listen to streetlight.

catch 22 wins. they are constantly doing something new, not the same ten songs over and over. they do have good songs after keasbey, infact I think its one of their worst albums. still great, but nowhere near the best CD ever.

Go listen to point the blame and tell me catch 22 still sucks.

and the new cd was amazing. if you don't like it, then you're one of them people who're like oh god its slow eww. ska started off slow, I love 2-tone and trad, so slow stuff is fine with me.

ya know streetlights first show was to over 1000 people? all cuz people who listened to catch 22 because catch 22 kept playing and making ska big in the area after kalnoky left. then he's like oh hey lets start a band and instantly sell out shows. woo. like. its just stupid. catch wins, because they can write more than 10 songs.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 pm
Guns of Navarone
wow I love you people who're like. ehh I only like keasbey nights era catch. like you even have listened to s**t since then? you just listen to streetlight.

catch 22 wins. they are constantly doing something new, not the same ten songs over and over. they do have good songs after keasbey, infact I think its one of their worst albums. still great, but nowhere near the best CD ever.

and the new cd was amazing. if you don't like it, then you're one of them people who're like oh god its slow eww. ska started off slow, I love 2-tone and trad, so slow stuff is fine with me.

ya know streetlights first show was to over 1000 people? all cuz people who listened to catch 22 because catch 22 kept playing and making ska big in the area after kalnoky left. then he's like oh hey lets start a band and instantly sell out shows. woo. like. its just stupid. catch wins, because they can write more than 10 songs.

Yes, I have listened to all the newer albums. I like some songs off of them, but for every one song I like, there's 2 or 3 that I can't stand. I'm not saying Catch 22 sucks, I'm just saying that they aren't my cup of tea anymore. As you should know, I listen to my fair share of traditional and 2-tone ska.
I still don't get what you mean when you say Streetlight only has 10 songs. Right now, I can list you 21 songs, all of which are unique and have different sounds. If you say they sound the same, that's because either A) I'm pretty sure you (unless I'm thinking of someone else) admitted to only listening to them once awhile back, and not listening to them since, or B) You hear them, but you aren't actually listening to them. At least give me reasons why you think they sound the same. And if you're going to tell me "O, THEY REDID KESBEY, LOL, THEY RNT CREATIVE!" I'll direct you to a interview where Tomas explains that none of them really wanted to do it, but it "had to be done." He said he couldn't go into more detail, so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

But, back to the point, Catch 22 doesn't suck, I just don't like them as much. I still like some of their new stuff, but Keasbey Nights was just more up my alley then their newer stuff. When I hear songs like "Hard to Impress," I cringe. The way I see it, Streetlight is much less simple, but Catch is more fun in a sense. It's hard to compare them, and neither is better than the other, there is no "winner." Really, you can't declare any band to "win" over another band, that's just dumb and opinionated. They are both good bands, but very different. Catch 22 is a ska band, Streetlight is BARELY a ska band.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:08 am
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone

Yes, I have listened to all the newer albums. I like some songs off of them, but for every one song I like, there's 2 or 3 that I can't stand. I'm not saying Catch 22 sucks, I'm just saying that they aren't my cup of tea anymore. As you should know, I listen to my fair share of traditional and 2-tone ska.
I still don't get what you mean when you say Streetlight only has 10 songs. Right now, I can list you 21 songs, all of which are unique and have different sounds. If you say they sound the same, that's because either A) I'm pretty sure you (unless I'm thinking of someone else) admitted to only listening to them once awhile back, and not listening to them since, or B) You hear them, but you aren't actually listening to them. At least give me reasons why you think they sound the same. And if you're going to tell me "O, THEY REDID KESBEY, LOL, THEY RNT CREATIVE!" I'll direct you to a interview where Tomas explains that none of them really wanted to do it, but it "had to be done." He said he couldn't go into more detail, so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

But, back to the point, Catch 22 doesn't suck, I just don't like them as much. I still like some of their new stuff, but Keasbey Nights was just more up my alley then their newer stuff. When I hear songs like "Hard to Impress," I cringe. The way I see it, Streetlight is much less simple, but Catch is more fun in a sense. It's hard to compare them, and neither is better than the other, there is no "winner." Really, you can't declare any band to "win" over another band, that's just dumb and opinionated. They are both good bands, but very different. Catch 22 is a ska band, Streetlight is BARELY a ska band.

I'd listened to them multiple times. first cd like atleast 3 or 4 times all the way through. can't get into it and so its like ehh ******** that don't wanna listen to it.

I know that victory was just gonna release Keasbey Nights as a streetlight album, so they were like ******** that if you're gonna do that we'll just re-do it ourselves.

the songs sound the same to me because I don't think any of the songs from EGN were any different from keasbey nights pretty much. there were like 4 songs that were new on SITB out of 10. but for the most part it all sounds generally the same, and seeing as I didn't like it the first time, I heard it, I didn't like it the next 40 times I heard it either. which is another reason I'm not a fan of them.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:15 pm
Navarone, I've been trying to tell my streetlight-obsessed friends, who think they (my friends) are complete skaheads just because they know everything about that one band, that the Streetlight sound is barely even ska for the longest time now... Just throwing that out there.

(BTW... your name is an awesome Skatalites song. Maybe my favorite. Love the Ba! Ba!'s in the beginning... hehe...)  

Black Dragon Disciple

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:25 pm
Guns of Navarone
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone

I'd listened to them multiple times. first cd like atleast 3 or 4 times all the way through. can't get into it and so its like ehh ******** that don't wanna listen to it.

I know that victory was just gonna release Keasbey Nights as a streetlight album, so they were like ******** that if you're gonna do that we'll just re-do it ourselves.

the songs sound the same to me because I don't think any of the songs from EGN were any different from keasbey nights pretty much. there were like 4 songs that were new on SITB out of 10. but for the most part it all sounds generally the same, and seeing as I didn't like it the first time, I heard it, I didn't like it the next 40 times I heard it either. which is another reason I'm not a fan of them.

Honestly, you saying that the songs on Numb sound anything like Keasbey Nights is COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. The song structure is completely different, and the songs on Numb are MUCH, MUCH more complex. Every song on Keasbey Nights uses the EXACT same drum beats, while Numb changes things up a lot. As for SITB... every song on that album is a completely new original song, so once again to say that they aren't new is completely ridiculous to me. But I don't understand how you can possibly think Keasbey and Numb sound the same...
But let me just make sure you understand that I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike Streetlight. Go ahead, hate away 3nodding I just don't want you thinking that I'm trying to make you like Streetlight...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:49 pm
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone

Honestly, you saying that the songs on Numb sound anything like Keasbey Nights is COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. The song structure is completely different, and the songs on Numb are MUCH, MUCH more complex. Every song on Keasbey Nights uses the EXACT same drum beats, while Numb changes things up a lot. As for SITB... every song on that album is a completely new original song, so once again to say that they aren't new is completely ridiculous to me. But I don't understand how you can possibly think Keasbey and Numb sound the same...
But let me just make sure you understand that I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike Streetlight. Go ahead, hate away 3nodding I just don't want you thinking that I'm trying to make you like Streetlight...

lol I love how much you try and be all like politically correct at the end of your arguements. its not a big deal. everyone has their own opinions, if you take someone else opion so seriously it bothers you, well thats your fault then. so don't worry about being all PC instead, just sit back listen to I Got This Neighbor. lol

and to black dragon. yeah, a lot of kids who listen to streetlight do that. its best to just go ahead and inform them about the history and everything else, because no matter what you say they're just gonna talk about how they're so ska. and yes, Guns of Navarone is an amazing song, I wake up to it every morning. hahaha  

Guns of Navarone

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:01 pm
Guns of Navarone
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone

lol I love how much you try and be all like politically correct at the end of your arguements. its not a big deal. everyone has their own opinions, if you take someone else opion so seriously it bothers you, well thats your fault then. so don't worry about being all PC instead, just sit back listen to I Got This Neighbor. lol

and to black dragon. yeah, a lot of kids who listen to streetlight do that. its best to just go ahead and inform them about the history and everything else, because no matter what you say they're just gonna talk about how they're so ska. and yes, Guns of Navarone is an amazing song, I wake up to it every morning. hahaha

After that last argument, I'm just trying to be careful xp

Honestly, I think Streetlight is a good gateway band, so to speak. Yes, we all hate those people who think they're the rudest skanks because they know all the words to Point/Counterpoint, but sooner or later they're going to want to dig deeper into ska. Just give them time, they will learn more about ska, and without bands like Streetlight and Reel Big Fish, who appeal to more people who listen to modern music and whatnot, ska would be a whole lot more... dead.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff