Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Voice Behind Tarot Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 am
When you use your tarot cards and ask it questions, who do you believe is answering them?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:32 am
Not Who. For me at least, there is no who.

Tarot for me is a tool for understanding the workings of the tapestry and an aid for predicting the upcoming patters based on the current trend. It's Mystical Futurism.  

Ethermus Prime

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:29 pm
My experience with Tarot has been that it varies form person to person and deck to deck.

My deck doesn't seem to have a voice, but I don't use it often.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:56 pm
That would completely depend on the reading itself.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:54 am
If I didn't ask anything to help, and just picked the cards, I'd say my subconscious, i'm not an animist so the cards themselves don't matter beyond my own tate.
Tarot cards and other things help me realise an answer to a question that I knew all along.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:14 am
My first deck was entirely antagonistic to me. It would draw a negative card for everything. I tried and tried to get along with it, but it didn't want to have anything to do with me, so I tried to give it to a friend of mine, but she decided not to take it for whatever reason. smile It's in its box, in drawer, in solitary confinement until it learns to play nice.

Then I got another (the Medieval Scapini Tarot), and it seems fairly neutral toward me. It seems to approach individual readings like a business transaction - I ask a question, it gives an answer, and that's all. That's fine enough for me, but hopefully it warms up!

So, I can't speak for anyone else, but I would say my decks have their own, individual voice.  

Collowrath

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:15 pm
Romanus

So, I can't speak for anyone else, but I would say my decks have their own, individual voice.

I've definitely had that experience. That's why I can't wait to get my Pythagorean Deck razz  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:18 am
From my own experience, tarot cards are a useful tool to help clarify a current issue or situation. I don't believe my cards speak for anyone but my subconscious, then again, I've never asked for higher help with my tarot readings.
Tarot is great for someone who may feel confused with what's going on in their lives because it can paint a pretty clear picture of what's currently happening and possible outcomes. However, if you, like me, are already very familiar with yourself and very aware of your current life situation, or issues, you may find tarot rather useless (i.e. not telling you anything you did not already know).
Of course, this has only been my experience. I'm sure there are many others who feel differently.
I am looking to learn more about runes (I currently know VERY little about runes). From what I have heard, their readings are a bit more 'in depth'...so after I've given this some research (I don't try anything I'm completely ignorant about) I may be able to give a review.

-x-Noxious-x-Nyx-x-

Philosophizing Smoker

44,800 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Winged 100
  • Master Slayer 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:42 am
Crystal-x-Shadow
However, if you, like me, are already very familiar with yourself and very aware of your current life situation, or issues, you may find tarot rather useless (i.e. not telling you anything you did not already know).
They're good at making it so obvious you can't try and disguise it any more. wink

Quote:
I am looking to learn more about runes (I currently know VERY little about runes).
Which ones?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:08 am
TeaDidikai
Crystal-x-Shadow
However, if you, like me, are already very familiar with yourself and very aware of your current life situation, or issues, you may find tarot rather useless (i.e. not telling you anything you did not already know).
They're good at making it so obvious you can't try and disguise it any more. wink So very true!

Quote:
I am looking to learn more about runes (I currently know VERY little about runes).
Which ones?

Well that obviously shows how little I know about runes... wasn't aware there were different types (unless you mean the same where there are different styles of tarot).  

-x-Noxious-x-Nyx-x-

Philosophizing Smoker

44,800 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Winged 100
  • Master Slayer 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 am
Crystal-x-Shadow

Well that obviously shows how little I know about runes... wasn't aware there were different types (unless you mean the same where there are different styles of tarot).
Rune means "mystery" or "secret". While usually applied to the Elder Futhark- it can also be applied to a host of other glyphs, some which phonetic values, some without as well as other mysteries which can take the form of poetry and prose.

Oghm, the Elder, Younger and Anglo-Saxon Futhark (and several other Norse/Germanic Futharks as well) in addition to Zanki and personal runic systems which in practical application number near the hundreds all are Runes in the strictest sense of the word.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Crystal-x-Shadow
They're good at making it so obvious you can't try and disguise it any more. wink

I usually get out the tarot cards when I need to be smacked into something and obvious talking to myself is going roundabout. It's still frequently talking to myself, but it helps construct a dialogue.

"Cards, lovely cards, what the hell should I be doing for school?"

"Studying, idiot."

"Okay, granted, but what should I do besides that?"

"Stop wasting your time divining that you should be studying."

I'm being silly and glib, but a lot of it really does go like that a great deal. In that case, I'm answering myself, really. It does not take anything more mystical or other to tell me what I know. It does help to have a conduit to sort the thoughts.  

TatteredAngel

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:58 am
TeaDidikai
Oghm, the Elder, Younger and Anglo-Saxon Futhark (and several other Norse/Germanic Futharks as well) in addition to Zanki and personal runic systems which in practical application number near the hundreds all are Runes in the strictest sense of the word.

Zanki are pre-Cyrillic Slavic runes, correct? Or are they part of your tradition that is separate from the overarching Slavic culture? Is there a good source where I can learn about them, or at least catch a glimpse of them?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:43 am
Romanus
TeaDidikai

Zanki are pre-Cyrillic Slavic runes, correct?
For the most part- this is my impression. They do not have a phonetic value however.
Quote:

Or are they part of your tradition that is separate from the overarching Slavic culture?
Some might be. My Baba didn't care about the historical roots of her practice the way I do. (Likely saved her a lot of grief)

The more I look at some of the "Zanki" that are within my practice- the more I become suspicious because I can't find them in other sources.

Quote:
Is there a good source where I can learn about them, or at least catch a glimpse of them?
If you like, I could put together a thread on it.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am
TeaDidikai
Romanus
TeaDidikai

Zanki are pre-Cyrillic Slavic runes, correct?
For the most part- this is my impression. They do not have a phonetic value however.

So, instead of conveying sounds and words, they would convey meaning? (Independent of language)

Quote:
Quote:

Or are they part of your tradition that is separate from the overarching Slavic culture?
Some might be. My Baba didn't care about the historical roots of her practice the way I do. (Likely saved her a lot of grief)

The more I look at some of the "Zanki" that are within my practice- the more I become suspicious because I can't find them in other sources.

Would you remove any if you found they had no historical backing, or would you regard their inclusion as UPG of some sort?

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a good source where I can learn about them, or at least catch a glimpse of them?
If you like, I could put together a thread on it.

I would really appreciate that. smile But no rush, of course. xd  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces