Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Any Good Coloring programs other than Photoshop? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

C h a o l i a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:01 pm
YES, I'm looking for a coloring program OTHER than photoshop. Since I'm 13, and Photshop costs 500 bucks. =_= I can't afford it. Someone has told me about gimp, but I don't know how to use it and it's quite difficult considering I don't own a tablet either. ;o;
Are there any free coloring programs that you would reccomend?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:30 pm
The GIMP.

Opencanvas 1.1 if you can still find it.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

C h a o l i a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:26 pm
I have open canvas 4.06 or something. >< I don't understand how to use it though. D; I need a mentor. ;o;  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm
User Image

Open Canvas is a pretty good coloring program. Don't be asking for new programs if you're not even willing to use the programs you already have. Go to deviantart, and search for some Open Canvas tutorials. Mess with the program a bit. I've had to teach myself both Photoshop CS2, and Corel Painter X. It's not that hard, you just have to experiment and look at tutorials.
Oh, and....
Boom

User Image

VineTabris

Dangerous Man-Lover

Sora Mayku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:10 pm
I use most of time Corel Painter 8 because that program give the sensation to draw with traditional tools. I think everyone need to test and see what program is made for himself.

Like I say above I color most of time with Corel Painter and finalise with photoshop CS2. But I know ppl who do it just the other way. Only try it out and see. Don't forget that in the begining we all got it hard. 3nodding So don't give up.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am
Or perhaps you should use SAI,it's something similar to OpenCanvas and it works quite well.
If you aren't sure how to use it,I found these tutorials that might help you out->by Himiko,by meli-ichigo,by catgirl-aishiru
If those tutorials dont work just search in DA,there's tons of them.

Slinxy

Freiheit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 am
paint shop pro is basicly photoshop with a few less options... bnut if you have trouble understanding a simple program like open canvas, then I suggest sticking with it until you get more comfortable with computers as it is the simplest of those you've got listed in the thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:13 pm
You can try Corell painter.  

Ryosayku

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Lunara_moon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 am
GIMP shop is okay and it's free.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:54 pm
opencanvas is nice! the colours produced are very paintery and soft. just very sad that i find it hard to use. (not used to it) Photoshop's colours are harsher i think but you can change the palette colours i guess. smile  

x Yuria-chan x

T o x ii c R a ii n b o w

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:53 am
If you already have the gimp then I would suggest learning how to use that before anything else. Other programs are usually harder than that. The Gimp is just about (I think) the easiest program to use without a tablet. If you think gimp is hard, then don't bother getting photoshop.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:31 pm
Opencanvas!

Just go to download.com and get the latest version. Do a trial version. My OC program claims trial time has expired, but it still works for me (minus saving, which I can do in photoshop).

And hopefully you can get ahold of 1.1 as well.

fluffy shem

firezz3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 am
Open Canvas~
Quite Good~ But I Like Photoshop~ Better~  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:45 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-discussion/art-resource-tutorials-programs-tablets/t.10559578/#543985197
=x
You can dl opencanvas 1.1 from there.  

Comet 2062

Rezseni

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:46 am
Open Canvas and SAI are good and similar but SAI is a 30(?) day trial.
I have trouble with layers on Open Canvas.

I'm using Artweaver right now, it's free and awesome! It reminds me a lot of Corel Painter which was hard to work with for me at first since I was used to Photoshop.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff