View Results

Mardil

Witty Werewolf

9,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 am
For all you Golden Compass fans, what are you looking forward to most about the movie? Is there anything you have a particular desire to see translated on the screen... or left off of it?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:52 am
I look forward to seeing how they portray the armored bears and the relationship of the characters with their demons.  

GastricOverload

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:06 am
Ooo, that's what I forgot to grab when I was at home this weekend. I need to re-read that book.

I don't know if I'm actually gonna see the movie. I'll have to read the book again (I remember next to nothing about it) and see what I think of that before I decide if I'll ever see the movie.

I'd really like to see the armored bears, though. They were my favorite part about the books, hands down (from what I remember). And seeing how they manage to pull off the daemons would be another reason to go see it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:17 pm
I can't wait for the movie to come out! rofl I really want to see how the witches cme out. Serafina Pekkala is my favorite charecter in the books. I also can't wait to see Lee! anyway It will be interesting to see if they make all three books into movies with the religious content and everything. I hope they do though!  

astrum202

lovebooks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:49 pm
i liked the first book and it'll be fun to see how they adapted to the big screen but I never finished the series. I also want to see the different actors playing thier roles. it looks like an interesting cast.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:56 pm
I loved the first two, the last one got a bit preachy for my taste. I had almost forgotten about the witches, they should be fun to see also.  

GastricOverload

GastricOverload

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:00 pm
In the last one it will be fun to see how they create 'heaven /hell' were all the souls are crammed in like sardines.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm
I personally cannot wait until it comes out. The effects in it look great! Hopefully, they won't butcher the plot.

I have already gotten the "THAT BOOK IS ANTI-GOD!" speech from my grandmother XD She told me that she's not letting my aunt take her kids to it (like she would have anyway) and that I myself should not go see it, nor should I ever read the books (However...I already read them--in fifth grade XD) Ha. What she doesn't know won't hurt her xd

Draug Heltikana

Excitable Counselor

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 am
Where's the "Yes, I read it, it was ok" option in the poll?

I read the trilogy--I thought it was decent, but not quite up to the hype ("Paradise Lost with a Blakean slant, only for children" may've been a bit too much for any book to live up to, I'll grant). There were some neat, inventive & very colorful bits, and the recording I listened to was superb (I listen to books on tape while doing dishes and such wink ), excellently acted, and Lyra's parents are intriguing people, but it wasn't spectacular, which is pretty well what I'd been led to expect.

And, yeah, it was preachy, especially toward the end, and decidedly anti-church .That, of course, is where some of the preachy comes in--by the end, Pullman doesn't quite trust us to see that, in his mind the church is basically a Bad Thing & has o also *tell* everyone, which something I find annoying, whether or not I agree with the author (I don't, in this case, but that's largely a matter for another topic).  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 am
I can't wait to see how they make the dead world and how they make the mulauf  

murphyad

astrum202

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:26 pm
Draug Heltikana
I personally cannot wait until it comes out. The effects in it look great! Hopefully, they won't butcher the plot.

I have already gotten the "THAT BOOK IS ANTI-GOD!" speech from my grandmother XD She told me that she's not letting my aunt take her kids to it (like she would have anyway) and that I myself should not go see it, nor should I ever read the books (However...I already read them--in fifth grade XD) Ha. What she doesn't know won't hurt her xd

wink haha I feel sorry for your grandmother. She is missing out on some great literature  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:59 pm
The previews look good, but I need to reread the books.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Eoinda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:42 am
Hate when they do movies out of books I have read it spoils it all! crying  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:56 pm
NightIntent
Ooo, that's what I forgot to grab when I was at home this weekend. I need to re-read that book.

I don't know if I'm actually gonna see the movie. I'll have to read the book again (I remember next to nothing about it) and see what I think of that before I decide if I'll ever see the movie.

I'd really like to see the armored bears, though. They were my favorite part about the books, hands down (from what I remember). And seeing how they manage to pull off the daemons would be another reason to go see it.

I wouled suggest that you don't re-read it before you watch the movie, but after, perhaps? That way you'll be complaining less about what they left out and just concentrating on the movies. It really is impossible to transfer a book to a movie perfectly, especially since different people view books differently  

Angleic Shadow

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:00 pm
Angleic Shadow
NightIntent

I wouled suggest that you don't re-read it before you watch the movie, but after, perhaps? That way you'll be complaining less about what they left out and just concentrating on the movies. It really is impossible to transfer a book to a movie perfectly, especially since different people view books differently

Well, odds are I won't even see the movie until it comes out on DVD anyway. Movie theaters aren't my thing. 'Though that's probably a better idea and I may do that either way.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff