Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Benfactors: Helping you learn the hard way! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:09 am
So I'm not sure how many people deal with the concept of Benefactors and I'm not totally sure how to even begin to define the concept. For me and a few others it's kinda like the Spirit Guide; except depending on who's favor the person has earned it can be anything from an actual Deity to an Angel to the Spirit of someone who cares for you.

I've noticed that the role of the Benefactor in the few people I've talked with is to be a spiritual Aid and Teacher, but usually taking on the role of a Negative teachers.

My own benefactor has been seen to me only once, and I'd like to see if any one could identify who she/they are .....while thinking of asking that question I thought I might be interesting to see how everyone else views the concepts and how they get in touch with their Benefactors.

So here is an excerpt from the Dream I recorded where my Benefactor shows up.....the all of one time I've encountered her and Have no way of knowing who she is or how to contact her again ><
Quote:

Cloaked so that at first i thought it was death, come to whisk me away before i should attain the object of desire. But the presence and countenance of the figure was far from gloomy. A cold heat washed over me, a perplexing experience. The figure said no word as of yet,but lifted back it's hood.

Under the hood was the face of an elegant women. I didn't know how i knew it was a woman's face, because it shined with such a piercing glow i could barely put my eyes upon it, all I managed to see was her silver hair flowing down. From behind her silvery strands of what looked like wings began to show, 7 strands of silver shaped like the bones, and forming two sets of wings. 4 in total. And then she spoke

"You can not have this", her voice was the loudest whisper i had ever heard. Soft, boisterous and Declarative. She seemed sorrowful that she denied me this treasure. I responded..
"but i want it"
" but you are not meant for this."
I asked, "what AM I meant for?"

She said nothing and pointed at a door. I looked to the door and it seemed most uninviting. Spears laid upon it in a vertical pattern, the door was made of solid stone and seemed meant to be swing open. I approached the door, more unsure with every step.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 am
Okay, so a good Friend of mine gave me a Name...but also an identity which is very malevolent. Vorshuthia Camatiae.....to ponder this I must.  

Ethermus Prime

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 am
What cultural tradition is this? What are the assumptions around spirits, gods, and the determination of the future?

I would caution you against mysterious malevolent beings; they tend to come with Mr. Dark Stories.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 am
Quote:
quote="Deoridhe"]What cultural tradition is this? What are the assumptions around spirits, gods, and the determination of the future?

Me? Oh ya....This is Rook. My new account.
So the Tradition is Gnostic.

But I was wondering what other people thought of Benefactors and how the concept works in their traditions.
Quote:

I would caution you against mysterious malevolent beings; they tend to come with Mr. Dark Stories.

That's just one of my friends opinions. Her perspective is "Unique" to say the least.  

Ethermus Prime

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:07 am
Ethermus Prime
So the Tradition is Gnostic.

But I was wondering what other people thought of Benefactors and how the concept works in their traditions.

I have no idea how it would translate to Asatru, but then the neopagan standards of spirit guides doesn't translate well, either, and totems and spirit animals are problematic at best.

I have been bitchslapped by the odd god, but I've always asked for it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 am
I tend to see it as a lesser form of the whole "Patron God" thing, just with an entity that isn't exactly a God. Just some Higher entity which is either assigned or has assigned itself to ones progress.

Not all the stories i've heard of my friends Benefactors are Bitchslappings, alot of them are things done as a reward for completing tasks and such. ...  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 am
Ether? Is it safe to say that you would consider the "Benefactor" to be the title of a role that any being can take on?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Ether? Is it safe to say that you would consider the "Benefactor" to be the title of a role that any being can take on?

That would be a tenatrive yes.  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Do you see a difference between a "Benefactor" who is kind and one who is brutal?

At what point would a "Benefactor" stop being considered a Benefactor and be considered malicious?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:02 pm
TeaDidikai
Do you see a difference between a "Benefactor" who is kind and one who is brutal?
At what point would a "Benefactor" stop being considered a Benefactor and be considered malicious?

No. Just in the same way that a teacher can be kind or Brutal; so can the benefactor. The only time they cease to be their tittle is when their actions actively go against Growth  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 pm
Ethermus Prime
TeaDidikai

No. Just in the same way that a teacher can be kind or Brutal; so can the benefactor. The only time they cease to be their tittle is when their actions actively go against Growth
Is it their actions or their student's unwillingness to learn the lesson they are teaching?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Is it their actions or their student's unwillingness to learn the lesson they are teaching?

It would be their actions. I.e: If they intently did something to make the student revert rather then grow; such as giving "false" lessons.  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:26 pm
Ethermus Prime

It would be their actions. I.e: If they intently did something to make the student revert rather then grow; such as giving "false" lessons.
If this is the case- I would wager that many people have spiritual benafactors.

Even if their experiences are limited (not a bad thing in my opinion), there is usually some root of faith that spurs someone to grow.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 am
Ethermus Prime
I tend to see it as a lesser form of the whole "Patron God" thing, just with an entity that isn't exactly a God.

There are Issues with the whole concept of Patron Gods, my referring to Odin as my father notwithstanding.

One of the aspects of neo-paganism which makes me twitch is the tendency of individuals to have a whole army of psychic supporters, most of them somehow "cool". This sounds like another on the list, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 am
Deo, might it simply be a cross cultural description of a relationship?

I mean- one could argue that a Catholic Mystic has the Cloud of Saints as Benefactors- right?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff