Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Michael Stackpole

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Durigen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:08 am

Just curious if anyone has read any books by him. He's most famous for his work in writing Star Wars books (although I haven't read any of those). He's written a bunch of really good fantasy books too, although those are less well known. I'm currently reading the Codex Alera trilogy. Talion: Revenant is a very good book as well. Possibly one of my favorites. I have the first too books in the Age of Discovery trilogy too, but I'm waiting for the third book to come out in paperback before I start them.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:33 am

<.<" Isn't the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher?

Either way, the author sounds interesting. Which book would you recommend to start with?

NightIntent
Captain

Durigen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Whoops. I'm getting my authors mixed up. I read something by him recently... what was it >_< ... bah. I can't remember. Yes, the codex of alera is by Jim Butcher. I read something by Michael stackpole around the same time so I got 'em confused.

As for which to start with, I suggest Talion: Revenant. It's only a single novel. Guh... I'm distressed now... I can't remember what his other fantasy books were that i've read.

Now I remember! The DragonCrown War series by him is quite good too. There a trilogy and prequel. I read the prequel first, even though I think he wrote that one afterwards. The ending to the prequel is, for lack of a better term, gut wrenching, but it gives an interesting insight to the trilogy that would be absent otherwise. The main character in the prequel (Tarrant) is different then the main character in the trilogy (Will). In the trilogy Tarrant is somewhat famous/infamous and it isn't until you read the prequel that you find out the truth of what happened in the past.

The order you read the books in depends on how you like your personal character imagery to develop. Would you rather have a mysterious character and learn the truth about him after all is said and done? Or would you rather know the truth about his past and read the trilogy with extra insight?

Personally, I'd recommend the prequel first, but try Talion: Revenant first to make sure you like his writing style first. If you read The Dark Glory War first, it'll be too late to back out razz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Okay! I'll see if I can find Talion: Revenant whenever I can manage to get to the bookstore next.

NightIntent
Captain

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces