Welcome to Gaia! ::

The RPS Guild: Dungeon Crawls For All

Back to Guilds

The RPS Guild is for RPing using the simply-named Roleplaying System (RPS) to manage combat. 

Tags: Role Play, Fantasy, Dungeon, Adventure, System 

Reply RPS Guild
The first DM discussion thread.(Current topic:Recruiting) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 33 34 35 36 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FARGORE
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:21 pm
This is going to be the first discussion thread for the DM’s. There are several topics that I would like to tackle here. I would like to ask that only DMs (and those specially requested to do so) post in this thread. This does include acolytes. There will be a thread made for characters to discuss what they think about what we are……. discussing. I can assure you that the DM’s will keep an eye on this thread and be mindful of your opinions.

We will discuss one topic at a time and once everyone agrees that we are done with one we will move onto the next. This will take awhile but I think it is a good idea right now.

The topics of conversation will be as follows (in order)
*Possible new acolytes
*Organizations
Recruiting
*Item Creation
Land of Opportunity (Minigame)
A DM forum
*DM Responsibilities
Perrian’s DNA idea.

If there is another topic that a DM feels need be added please say so and we will put it at the bottom of the list.

First I will introduce some new potential acolytes and let them say a word for all of us. Then we will discuss their ascension to acolyte.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:26 pm
The three possible acolytes are
Kowsauni
l.a.v.
Perrian

They have been asked to come in and make a post.

Potential Acolytes: Just introduce yourself to all the DM’s, and say why you should be an acolyte.  

FARGORE
Captain

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:53 pm
Hey I guess I should say a little about myself. I first saw this guild in Radryns banner from another guild I rp at. I was intrigued by how his character had a system of stats and decided to investigate. Upon reading about the combat system I was immediately enamored. Finally someone had sat down and came up with a system of fairly balanced rules that one could rp with. I spent the following evening coming up with multiple different characters until deciding upon Kail and Veet (I can never seem to just make one) and then helped my girlfriend (Alphabetfish) design a character to play along with me. I was quite excited to be recommended to become an acolyte DM as I was planning of requesting to become one myself once I got a little more experience in the guild. I love coming up with plots and stories and have actually been toying around with a few to try in the mini-games or general rp threads. Anyways I have great interest in becoming a DM and would be honored if you would have me.

(edit.) I was brought to my attention that having more than one character is discouraged. I would like to point out that one is not a mule and the other my main. They are two separate well developed characters that I never plan to have run in the same quest together. There was reason why I only entered Kail into the minigame as I figured it would be unfair to have Veet in there as well. I really wanted to try two different play styles and I hope you won’t hold it against me. It’s really hard for me to have just one character. In other guilds I usually have between 2 to 6 characters because I’m usually running the plot.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:03 pm
Hi! My husband Fury came to this guild first. He enjoyed the system so much that he couldn't stop talking about it, and mentioned off-hand that I should join, so I did. ^_^ He was doing so well that I asked his advice about coming up with a character but it still took me two days to design Djanni because I wasn't sure *who* I wanted her to be.

As far as me being an acolyte DM, well, first I would like to say that I really like playing here. With my busy schedule I have not been able to participate in actual tabletop gaming for some time (been a month or so since the last game). Secondly, I have 10+ years experience as a DM under a variety of systems, including 2nd and 3rd addition AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade and Vampire the Requiem (currently running a Vampire the Masquerade chronicle, but like I said we haven't been able to get together for a game for over a month). I write my own gaming materials and do a lot of custom creature designs to suit my purposes. Third, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Video Game Art & Design, so it would be great to put that to use as well. My busy schedule keeps me off the computer for much of the day but can write and prep my games ahead of time for ease of application.

I am very flattered to be considered for the position at all, so no matter what you decide I have to say thank you very much. mrgreen  

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:14 pm
Well, here is some info about me. My name is Matt and I am 16 years old. I forget where I saw the ad to this guild, but once I did I automatically joined. I joined this guild, I think, a few weeks before I made my character. I made my character on October 1st. I have so far participated in one quest, a tournament, and I currently am in a quest with Veet, Djanni, and Tobar. Although I have only played one real D&D game in real life, I do host some D&D games on Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne, when I played WC3, and I play a lot of roleplays with my friends.

Here are some reasons I should be an acolyte:

I have a very good imagination.
I have WEIRD ideas.
I am kind.
I already have one idea for a quest and can probably think of many more.

Here is a look into my quest idea I already have:

Area 72

Multiple floors

Special stuff about each floor:

Floor 1: No extra stuff
Floor 2: Attack stat decreased by 2 for all group,
Floor 3+: You'll need to find this out if I become an acolyte and host this quest.

I am very honored to be even considered for this position. Thank you for considering me.

To everybody reading this and everybody who is not, have a good day and God bless!

~Matt  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:40 pm
Well, it warms my heart to see three qualified candidates for acolyte DM. I haven't really discussed with Fargore how to continue with this process, but I am interested to know how you three envision yourselves DMing. I.e. how much do you intend on planning in advance about the dungeons you run?

I'm not sure if any mixture of planning it or winging it can be considered "better" than any other, but all mixtures contain their own quirks that impact how your dungeons will turn out. We'll maintain oversight over your dungeons either way, so I'm not so worried about that. Still, I'm curious.  

Grand_Commander13

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:34 pm
For most quests, my storyline will be planned out and the the creatures and what is where. But a huge portion of my quests will be improvised.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 pm
For my part, I would like to say congratulations to each of the prospective DM's. I welcome the opportunity to see each of you in action. However, it would seem to me that beyond the basic imagination factor, a solid understanding of the system being used is essential to a DM. Also, I believe the DM should have a superior level of literacy, making each post as clearly and concisely as possible. With these considerations in mind, how well do you think you measure up on the system knowledge and literacy scale?  

Master of Gladiators

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 pm
I think I have a very high level of literacy. If you would like to see an example of my literacy, I could send you the outline of my first quest idea, which has a description of the setting and events, etc.

I know the system knowledge pretty well, but not the perfectly yet. I'm still studying the system a little more day by day, and I should know the system better as each day ends.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:03 pm
To Grand Commander’s question, I’ll probably have the entire overarching plot planed out for most of my dungeons, which means there will probably be a fare amount of railroading going along. However it’s the little in between stuff which will probably be made up as I go along based on the actions of the characters.

To master of Gladiator’s question, I can only say to look at what I have done in the guild so far. I try to know the workings of the system in and out and if I am unclear about something I make sure to find out. I know myself to be quite literate usually responding in paragraphs and trying to be as concise as I can in describing my actions. I also try to describe in a way that sound like I’m not just playing a game but rather I am an actual character there experiencing it.  

Kowsauni
Crew

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:33 pm
Well, to answer the question as to how I structure my campaigns, it's roughly a 50-50 mixture. I write up monsters and items, have a rough metaplot and well-defined NPC personalities, but the rest is written entirely custom to the players and their actions. I will say for myself that I think on my feet and (after a hard learned lesson with a completely planned out campaign that went...awry) I have not had any trouble adapting almost imediately to my players' actions.

As far as my knowledge of the system, I will admit that I am still in the learning phase. I do learn quickly however, and do research before creating anything.

Regarding my literacy, I would have to say that I am fairly literate; I do have a fair amount of writing under my belt and a strong love of words. However, I will let my writing speak for itself as it were. It is the best example of what I am capable of that I can give you.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:10 am
Ok then fellow DM's, I have a question for all of you potentials.

What would you do if a certain character was blatantly trying to ruin a game? How do you not only handle that situation, but handle the player afterwards?

So far I have seen good things from you all! We are now going to be digging a little deeper.  

DM of Death

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 am
Well, I think a discussion via PM would be the first step - try to find out whether or not they are actually trying to ruin the game or it just appears that way, and if so, to find out why. If they continue to be destructive and no solution can be found, them the issue would have to be elevated to a guild moderator for the quickest possible resolution. If this became the case, the dungeon would be put on temporary hold while we resolve the issue with the problem player. If the issue is resolved positively, play would resume with the character still in the dungeon. If the issue is resolved negatively, that would necessitate their removal from the game to keep their behavior from impacting the other players too much.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:37 am
Basically I'd first contact them through PM. After that I'd contact FARGORE, GC, or any of the other DMs. If that didn't work I'd probably tell them to leave the dungeon. Then I'd probably ask the other people, if the person did not stop trying to ruin the game, if they wanted to continue and just ignore that person or for me to try to continue to make that person stop or leave. If it came to me forcing them to leave the game, they would not get any loot or rewards from the game.  

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

FARGORE
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 pm
I see “contacting a higher up” as a reasonable answer. Since acolytes don’t have actual disciplinary power you should seek a minor or major DM’s help. If you cannot resolve the issue yourself of course.  
RPS Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 33 34 35 36 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff