Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Different Bible Translations Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favorite Bible translation?
  New International Version
  New Living Translation
  New King James Version
  New American Standard Version
  Other
View Results

dragongirl42391

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:41 pm
I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion about different translations of the Bible. There are tons of them out there, including New Kiing James Version, Old King James Version, New Living Translation, New Internationl Version, English Standard Version, Good News Bible, The Message and more. I, personally, own a NLT and NIv Bible, and I absolutely LOVE the NLT translation because it's super easy to read and totally speaks to me.
Whats your favorite translation and why?
Are there are other translations I havn't mentioned?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having all these different translations?
What are the benefits/disadvantages to "para-phrased" translations?

Discuss away! biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm
They are basically translations to make it easier to understand to different cultures and languages. They get some translations wrong (that's given) but all in all it's pretty close to the original. We just have to remember that the Bible was written in a different time period and culture, so some things won't make sense.  

GuardianAngel44

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:48 am
Mine is an ESV (English Standard Version). I really like it alot, because it doesn't use super-fancy language but it doesn't deviate too much from it, and at the same time it's really easy to understand. I really wanna get a Life Application Bible though; my dad has one and he loves it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:24 pm
I've heard good things about the ESV version, my friend has one, and from what I've heard it's pretty close to my New Living Translation one, which means it's easy to read, and syntax is very close to how modern day angolophones actually speak.
Yeah, my first bible was Old King James. *GAsp* It was like asking a six year old to draw meaning from Shakespeare. lol But as soon as I picked up NLT it was like a revelation! *ANGELS SINGING IN CHORUS*
But, I would definitly also recommend the ESV to new christians, and christian teens. Good choice. 3nodding  

dragongirl42391

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:13 pm
dragongirl42391
Whats your favorite translation and why?

I don't have a favourite at the moment, but my current ones (full and pocket New Testament) are NIV. I previously bought an NKJV which was nice in that it was in a leather wallet, had gold-edged pages and Jesus' words were in red. Unfortunately, I returned it because it was bound incorrectly and I decided to get something a little lighter to read and more modest in look. However, I did like the NKJV for its regal yet challenging language because I rarely read and my vocabulary needs improving.
dragongirl42391
Are there are other translations I havn't mentioned?

Probably. If you want me to be pedantic, I would say each and every person who reads a Bible ends up with a single, personal translation in their minds due to the their individual learning processes. Such is the organic nature of the Word as it was alive in Jesus, and as it is now alive in us.
dragongirl42391
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having all these different translations?

The main advantages are that it enables access to Jesus and God's word for so many people throughout the world. For languages lucky enough to have multiple translations, it gives them the luxury of understanding God's word in a different light and way of understanding.

The disadvantages, of course, are that the choice multiple translations can confuse newcomers to our faith and they may even pick the wrong translation and thus put a stumbling block in front of their walk with God. Also, other religions may look upon the multiple translations and try to discredit the text by saying that it has been diluted and changed too much and deviates from the truth (which is quite an accusation)!

dragongirl42391
What are the benefits/disadvantages to "para-phrased" translations?

We all paraphrase from the Bible sometimes, especially when we can't remember a piece of Scripture specifically. Paraphrasing can be useful for getting a meaning or a point across quickly, differently or shedding new light on familiar teachings. Obviously the dangers are similar to the answer above in that the paraphrasing of Scripture can be used to condone a course of action it would otherwise condemn if not cross-checked.

All in all, I think the benefits outweigh the risks (as long as people are taught correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 pm
Priestley
[
All in all, I think the benefits outweigh the risks (as long as people are taught correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture).

Interesting how you mention correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture. What is the correct method, in you opinion? Just outta curiousity.  

dragongirl42391

Lindpen

Smitten Pumpkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Mine is an ESV (English Standard Version). I really like it alot, because it doesn't use super-fancy language but it doesn't deviate too much from it, and at the same time it's really easy to understand. I really wanna get a Life Application Bible though; my dad has one and he loves it.

My mom has a Life Application Bible! She loves it, too. I have an NIV, since that version was required for school, but I like to read my mom's. My NIV doesn't have notes, which often help me.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:21 am
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[

Interesting how you mention correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture. What is the correct method, in you opinion? Just outta curiousity.

Not sure if he's of the same persuasion I am, but I would venture to guess that deriving appropriate meaning from Scripture depends a whole lot on the Holy Spirit. Praying before any Bible study session is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare your heart and mind for God's truth. Asking for God's Spirit to reveal to you the most truth from your specific translation is evidence to God that you're sincere in wanting to know the truth.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[

Not sure if he's of the same persuasion I am, but I would venture to guess that deriving appropriate meaning from Scripture depends a whole lot on the Holy Spirit. Praying before any Bible study session is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare your heart and mind for God's truth. Asking for God's Spirit to reveal to you the most truth from your specific translation is evidence to God that you're sincere in wanting to know the truth.

Hm...I think I'll try that the next time I start a book.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:36 am
Any book?  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:43 pm
dragongirl42391
Priestley

Glad you're interested. smile

If you're asking for my opinion, I would say a good method would be to identify what guidance you want (for example, general or specific -- perhaps relating to an issue in particular), grab some kind of concordance (or even a thesaurus and online bible search), read up on as much scripture as you can relating to the issue, meditate on the scriptures in the presence of the Spirit, think about the context around and meaning behind what you have read and make sure when you finally decide to act on your guidance that it is well informed.

In contrast, a poor method would be simply to pick out one piece of scripture and use it to act out some kind of atrocity. I thought I made this quite clear in my previous post about the misuse of Scripture. confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:49 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[

Persuasion? Wait, what? eek  

Priestley

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:52 pm
Well, I'd have to say my favorite is the New International Version! I have a woman's devotional bible, and it's great! I like it's easy-to-understand... hee hee, funny story... when I was a kid, I thought everyone was being literal when they called Jesus a lamb... blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:26 pm
Priestley
dragongirl42391
Priestley

Glad you're interested. smile

If you're asking for my opinion, I would say a good method would be to identify what guidance you want (for example, general or specific -- perhaps relating to an issue in particular), grab some kind of concordance (or even a thesaurus and online bible search), read up on as much scripture as you can relating to the issue, meditate on the scriptures in the presence of the Spirit, think about the context around and meaning behind what you have read and make sure when you finally decide to act on your guidance that it is well informed.

In contrast, a poor method would be simply to pick out one piece of scripture and use it to act out some kind of atrocity. I thought I made this quite clear in my previous post about the misuse of Scripture. confused

Oh my goodness, thats exactly what I think! ( about the whole poor method thing. I hate it when people misuse Scripture) But what you are saying is pretty much what I do. I go to my Bible for help for all my issues pretty much. Thats what it's for. 3nodding
But what exactly is a concordance? And do you know of any good online bible searches, because I kind only find Bible searches that search for specific words, instead of topics.  

dragongirl42391

dragongirl42391

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:32 pm
Sakura_Chan133
Well, I'd have to say my favorite is the New International Version! I have a woman's devotional bible, and it's great! I like it's easy-to-understand... hee hee, funny story... when I was a kid, I thought everyone was being literal when they called Jesus a lamb... blaugh

lol Hah ha, cute! hey, I wasn't any better though. when I was little, you know that song, hark the herald angels sing? It says "with angelic host proclaim Christ is born in Bethlehem. " I stubbornly insisted that the real words were "and with jelly toast proclaim Christ is born in Bethlehem." Mmmm Jelly toast.
I've been in mood for Christmas songs lately.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff