Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Political Compass Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loIitoads

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:54 am
This should help give people and idea of where you stand, politically. Delete this topic if it's in the wrong place, but I thoguht it'd be usefull, especially for new members who might not know who stands where on the spectrum...

Political Compass Test

I am:

Economic Left, -7.00
Social Libertarian, -6.00

It might not give you exact results, as I'd say I'm more liberal than that, but for the limited range of questions, it's pretty good.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:33 am
Economic Left/Right: 4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Right-wing libertarian. Tory, with anarchist sympathies.

Invictus_88
Captain

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:41 pm
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.97

Very centralist according to this. xd Basically a One Nation Tory with a bit of a dislike of authortarianism.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:31 am
Tory's better than BNP, at least XD

Seriously though, I don't see how anyone can relate to contemporary politics. It's all spin and bullshit. Even I'd be obliged to vote Tory if they could offer an honest policy and forget populist nonsense. I'll probably vote for Lib Dems, if they get Charles Kennedy back. Otherwise, probably let the nation go to the dogs and increase voter apathy.  

loIitoads

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:25 am
Pokegirl Princess Lolicat
Tory's better than BNP, at least XD

Seriously though, I don't see how anyone can relate to contemporary politics. It's all spin and bullshit. Even I'd be obliged to vote Tory if they could offer an honest policy and forget populist nonsense. I'll probably vote for Lib Dems, if they get Charles Kennedy back. Otherwise, probably let the nation go to the dogs and increase voter apathy.

You want my honest option as a Conservative Party activist?

I find modern politics to be full of spin, but I constantly look past the spin and focus on what matters to me, trying to improve this country. Politics for me isn't about the grand debates and the big policy ideas of the day as much as it's about the people and what we can all do for each other to make things better. And for me, if I have to play the game a bit to get somewhere with that, i'll do it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:05 am
Economic Left/Right: -2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Hmm. That really does not do my position justice.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:48 pm
Economic Right/Left 2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

But then again, I seem to get different answers whenever I do the political compass.

There's another, more UK-based one at 2005 Political Survey, by the late Chris Lightfoot. Recommended.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:10 pm
[Finrod]
There's another, more UK-based one at 2005 Political Survey, by the late Chris Lightfoot. Recommended.

I really liked this one. It's accurate, but also a bit lighthearted. I like the reference to the "hang 'em flog 'em" brigade.

Quote:
The results on this page refer only to your position on the first and most important axis. Positions on this axis describe your views on crime and punishment, Europe, and other transnational issues including immigration and international law.

Crime and punishment, internationalism

Your position on this axis is -1.4
You are likely to be slightly internationalist and rehabilitationist.

Economics, etc

Your position on this axis is 4.2
You are likely to be very free-market and pro-war.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You told us that you intend to vote for the Conservative party. Here's how you compare on this axis to others who intend to vote the same way.

Based on the answers you've given us, we judge that of the well-known parties, Liberal Democrat (!?) voters have views most like yours.

Quote:
The results on this page refer only to your position on the second and less important axis. Positions on this axis describe your views on public and private involvement in the economy, international trade, redistributive taxation... and Iraq.

rolleyes

Oh-ho, then at the -very- end they give me the link to show people my results.

Ici.  

Invictus_88
Captain

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:07 am
Invi, you're really not far at all from my results smile

Your position on this axis is -1.7

Economics, etc

Your position on this axis is 4.3

Link: here  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:10 pm
I kinda break their system.

http://www.politicalsurvey2005.com/scripts/quiz?s=AAPBCACFBCBDABDDDDABBDEACADDBECBAEBDBBADAA

Your position on this axis is -5.1
You are likely to be very internationalist and rehabilitationist.

Economics, etc

Your position on this axis is 3.5

I'm not pro-war. You can be a big supporter of the free market and not be pro-war, peeps. I describe myself as a radical centrist; I guess I'm just a radical as I pull well over to the free-market internationalist.

…

Guardian. XD  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 pm
I agree about Iraq being suddenly lumped in there with the free market - it does seem a touch disconnected. However, lightfoot said that there seemed to be some correlation on that axis.

There's details from a brief he gave on the overall survey here.
(Nothing on the Iraq thing, though. Lot's of snazzy graphs, though (I'm easily pleased smile ))  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:24 pm
[Finrod]

Economics, etc

Very similar indeed!

And I see you got the same "Based on the answers you've given us, we judge that of the well-known parties, BNP voters have views most like yours. But... not very many people intend to vote for that party, so this might be wildly off." tarring that I did.

Ridiculous, given that the BNP are wildly opposed to laissez-faire economics. Their economic policy is essentially two-pronged in that it involves both nationalisation where possible and protectionism everywhere.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:30 pm
I love this one, it's genuinely very interesting indeed.

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:23 pm
Invictus_88
[Finrod]

Economics, etc

Very similar indeed!

And I see you got the same "Based on the answers you've given us, we judge that of the well-known parties, BNP voters have views most like yours. But... not very many people intend to vote for that party, so this might be wildly off." tarring that I did.

Ridiculous, given that the BNP are wildly opposed to laissez-faire economics. Their economic policy is essentially two-pronged in that it involves both nationalisation where possible and protectionism everywhere.

The "BNP on the economic axis" is due to the small number of BNP supporters that have taken the test - the few individual BNP voter-results that are at either extreme of the economic axis are weighted highly when expressed as a percentage in comparison to the other parties. The same effect happens at the left end of the scale - see here and here.

The issue is simply sample error due to a very small BNP sample. And that economic policy tends not to be the reason for BNP supporters to support their party - any overlap between the BNP's actual economic rantings and the economic beliefs of BNP supporters would probably be purely coincidental.  

[Finrod]

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:39 am
BNP voters hold an economic position almost opposite to that of the BNP?

That's very odd.

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games