Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply Other Music Discussion
Illegal Music Downloading: Yes or No? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it be illegal?
  Yes!
  No!
  No opinion
  Don't care.
View Results

Leowna

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:45 pm
Okay, guys.
I'm writing a persuasive essay in English on illegal music downloading. I have a very strong opinion on it, so I wanted to start a little debate. xp

Please, guys, no flaming. (You all have every right to tell me if I'm getting a little...mad sounding. >.<)

For those of you that don't know, illegal music downloading is downloading music off the Internet without paying for it.

So the question is this: Do you think illegal music downloading should be illegal?
I know it is illegal, guys. But do you think it should stay that way?

Also, I'm sorry if this topic doesn't apply to you. D:

On a side note, this is the first time I have started a topic in the whole entire time I've been in this guild. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:05 pm
I think that music downloading shouldnt be illegal because the music suppliers just try to take money from you if u just buy it from Itunes or somethin. i think it should be free because music is a good way to express yourself..

it might not make sense...but, its my opinon  

tanyjames

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 pm
tanyjames
I think that music downloading shouldnt be illegal because the music suppliers just try to take money from you if u just buy it from Itunes or somethin. i think it should be free because music is a good way to express yourself..

Well, what about the artists? Don't you think they deserve a little something for their work?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 am
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

Well, what about the artists? Don't you think they deserve a little something for their work?

I totally agree with you girly. You'll be surprised at how little artists get for their songs. Most of it goes to the record label xP. It's like what my math teacher said. If you keep illegal downloading, the less money the artists would get, and they would stop making songs, b/c they would know it would be useless to make songs if they don't get the money they would need. and if you want free songs to download, heck, use Napster, not Limewire xP

GoodbyeLights

PrimeOdd
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:19 pm
I think it depends on the band or artist. I think it should be up to them. Not a record label, and not a music downloading website. If a band is just making music because they're in love with what they are doing and want to share it with the world, I don't see any reason as to why they should have to make their fans pay for music. If a band wants to actually make a living off of the music they create, then sure, they should make their fans pay for it.

As a fan, I will always want to help out my favorite bands by paying for their music. I usually don't download music off of the internet, though. I usually just buy their album and then load it onto my computer, which is completely legal. 3nodding <3

(Oh, and I moved this topic because it relates to music. I hope you don't mind. And congratulations on your first thread in the guild! ) wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:35 pm
Well, yeah, I understand that the artist is more likely than not doing it because they love doing it. But they kinda need money to make more music. >.>

(Thank you. I wasn't to sure about it.

And thank you. I think we should have a big parteh. xD

EDIT: I'm sorry. Technically, this is the SECOND thread I have made. But it's the first one that means anything. xP)  

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:05 am
I don't really know.
I download music illegally surprised gonk But I also buy music.
Obviously, it'd be nice if it was legal. But the band has to make money somehow, so. Yeah. I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:53 am
CityScene
I think it depends on the band or artist. I think it should be up to them.

Yeah, like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters actually downloads "legally" lol rolleyes

GoodbyeLights

cinnamilk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 am
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

that's true  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:43 am
punkguitar65
CityScene

Yeah, like Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters actually downloads "legally" lol rolleyes
There is such a thing as legal downloading, you know.  

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:46 am
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

I totally agree with you girly. You'll be surprised at how little artists get for their songs. Most of it goes to the record label xP. It's like what my math teacher said. If you keep illegal downloading, the less money the artists would get, and they would stop making songs, b/c they would know it would be useless to make songs if they don't get the money they would need. and if you want free songs to download, heck, use Napster, not Limewire xP
Why is Napster any better than Limewire?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:47 am
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
CityScene

Yes, I do. But note how i put legally in quotes. Dave makes a joke out of that, he apparently illegally downloads his own music.

GoodbyeLights

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:48 am
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

That's a good point.

Though, on my essay, I kinda exaggerated and said that if enough people illegally downloaded, music production would come to a screeching halt...
That isn't bad, is it? redface

~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

Why is Napster any better than Limewire?

Napster lets you download music for free legally. The company actually pays the artists.

GoodbyeLights

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
CityScene

Yes, I do. But note how i put legally in quotes. Dave makes a joke out of that, he apparently illegally downloads his own music.
=O
That's pretty dumb.
But if its his...  
Other Music Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out