Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Robin artisson- Yay or nay? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:52 am
For those that don't know, Robin Artisson writes books related to traditional witchcraft. For example 'the witching way of the hollow hill'.

People seem to have wide range of opinions about him and his books from, 'He's a con!' to 'His books are brilliant and insightful'.

I myself am undecided. For the most part I find myself pointing out things I disagree with in his books, but sometimes I find his writing quite interesting. Whether what he describes is actually traditional witchcraft is a different matter confused .
I have also heard that some of his work is unoriginal.

What are your opinions of mr. artisson's works and why?

P.s- For those who have not read any of his books, here is one of his websites. The information found there is based largely on his books.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:32 am
Eh, I'd have to actually sit down with it, so primarily I can only say what I suggest for any work. Give it a fair treatment, and pull the things out of it you find useful, ignore the things you don't and think are a little sketchy. There's not an author I've read who hasn't had both things I've agreed with and parts where I've been 'er... sure... (cough cough).' One work you think is good or bad from an author doesn't mean everything they write will be of similar streak.

A brief overview of what's on the website piqued my interest in that he seems to have some interesting perspectives (agree OR dissagree). Chances are I won't get to looking at this guy for a long time unless I happen to see something of his in the local bookstore.  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:53 am
I enjoy reading him. He offers a refreshing change from the Ravenwolfs of the Pagan scene and to date the information I have read of his that I disagreed with is of a non-falsifiable nature.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:09 pm
I occasionally like his stuff.

However, his web presence is annoying and troll-like.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 pm
Nuri

I am curious as to what sets him apart from Draven's Journal in your opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

I am curious as to what sets him apart from Draven's Journal in your opinion.

Well, if its true, the sockpuppetry. I'm really not sure what to think -- honestly, I think part of it might be that Davan seem to stick to things that he knows about.

I've seen Hellenic Recon from Son_of_art, and let's just say, it wasn't convincing.  

maenad nuri
Captain

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 am
Hmm, his new book 'the horn of evenwood' seems much better.
I'm going to order it when I have some spare money ^_^.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 am
Heilsan,

I've had the misfortune to deal with this individual online, spouting his opinions on the Germanic Folkways. Suffice it to say, he was well and truly "pwned", and his behaviour failed to endear him to even the most liberal of list participants.

He abandoned the Germanic Folkway, and stopped considering himself "Heathen", his reason? It's a religion of "racists" and "assholes". No doubt I am one of the assholes as I have dared challenge his ideas and statements, and requested evidence to support his assertions.

His own list seems to be a Robin Artisson Fanclub. It surprises me not that he's taken to Wicca with gusto, and frankly, the renaming of Germanic practices into "Traditional Witchcraft" is absolute tripe. The Germanic folk had their own names for their practices. It's a bit like someone calling themselves Shaman.

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 am
^ As far as I know, his newer stuff dosen't suggest much about germanic folkway (bearing in mind I know nearly nothing about this path *pokes* make a pathway thread scream whee ). Instead, i'd say his ideas stem from hedgewitchcraft.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 pm
It's interesting. I have seen the term "Hedgewitch" tossed around a lot without any clear context.

confused  

TeaDidikai

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:20 pm
TeaDidikai
It's interesting. I have seen the term "Hedgewitch" tossed around a lot without any clear context.

confused

A witch whom is hedging their bets perhaps *cheeky grin*

twisted

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 pm
TeaDidikai

confused

My limited understanding is that a hedgwitch travels between here and the otherworld on a regular basis confused  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:08 am
patch99329

My limited understanding is that a hedgwitch travels between here and the otherworld on a regular basis confused
So Hedgewitch is the term applied to generic neo-pagan otherworld traditions?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am
TeaDidikai
patch99329

So Hedgewitch is the term applied to generic neo-pagan otherworld traditions?

Eh...no, theres more to it, but I don't really know much or understand hedgewitchcraft.
What is your take?  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:36 am
patch99329

Eh...no, theres more to it, but I don't really know much or understand hedgewitchcraft.
What is your take?
Honestly- at this point I can't say.

It seems that historically the Hedge-Rider would likely have used the charms spoken of in the Havamal.

Present day? It suffers from the same inability to establish meaning that most other neo-pagan traditions do, which is why I look at it funny.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff