Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Would you say...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anger As Motivation
  Good
  Bad
  Depends
View Results

Aranel-Raina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 pm
Anger is a bad motivator to lose weight?

Cause it's strange. I've wanted to lose weight pretty badly for a long time now. Yet it was something I could never seem to commit to doing, exercise and dieting. Blah. Those weren't for me.

Now something has happened and I won't deny that is has to do with a guy. He played with my feelings and hurt me pretty badly. The thing is you can only make me hurt so much before it turns into anger.

That anger he caused has fueled my desire to lose weight like never before. I feel like I CAN do it now and nothing will stop me. Thing is I know a HUGE part of that is because of the anger I feel directed towards said boy.

So is it bad that my motivation to do this is fueled, very much, by anger? Or is that fine. I'm not saying I don't want to do it for myself but the anger is giving me what feels like a huge push foward.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 pm
Oh yeah,
I lost 40lbs merely because an ex friend of mine was a b***h, and I wanted to spite her.

Anger is a good motivation for many things.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Keren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:36 am
I would say that it's not a bad thing. If you're motivated, you're motivated. Anger tends to stick around longer, thus keeping you focused on what you want to achieve, especially since you're doing this for you. As long as you're not letting all of the angry stress eat away at you and make you severely unhappy, I think this will be fine. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:58 am
I wouldn't say it's a bad thing at all. At least you have a motivator at all, ja? :] I think it'll definitely make you feel better. I know a lot of the time you can feel really used up and terrible after break ups, and I think doing something for yourself like this would be great. It'll definitely help boost your confidence, too. heart

StilettoReject

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 am
I'd say that any motivation that WORKS is a good motivator. Keep an eye on your emotions, though. If anger or frustration sends you to the gym for a good hard workout, then use it! Anything that gets you to work out is a good thing.

But if there comes a time when you look to soothe that feeling with high-calorie foods ("comfort" foods that later make you distinctly uncomfortable for having eaten them), then it's time to drop the anger and take up something different. Something such as loving yourself enough to give yourself a healthy body that feels energetic and strong.

There may also come a time when you're just not angry anymore, because you've gotten past the hurt. At that point, whip out your best motivating music, such as Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." That one always gets me really moving. I can dance around my apartment for hours, just putting that song on repeat, or go on a really good hard walk, or use the elliptical running machine in the gym until I'm dripping with sweat and exultation. Pick out some music that makes you feel like moving, and use that when you find that your anger has run its course.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games