Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Monkey man=the most ska song!
  YEAHHHH!
  No. -_-''
View Results

I Love To Pick It Up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:45 pm
In my opinion, the most ska song would have to be Monkey Man by Toots and the Maytals.

Not only has it survived across the three waves, its been covered by at least three other bands/artists: The Specials, Chris Murray, and Reel Big Fish.

Discuss:
Agree/Disagree?
If you disagree, what song do you think is the most ska song?
etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:13 pm
but... monkey man was a reggae song ._.

j/k

anyway- i think there are far better ska songs out there. i will agree that its proved to be an important ska standard. i think for me- the best ska song would be "Ska, Ska, Ska!" Prince Buster backed by Skatalites, and the sentiment i think summs up the core ldeals of "the Ska scene"... also its catchy as hell  

Slag10

Frankenska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 pm
Slag10
but... monkey man was a reggae song ._.

j/k

anyway- i think there are far better ska songs out there. i will agree that its proved to be an important ska standard. i think for me- the best ska song would be "Ska, Ska, Ska!" Prince Buster backed by Skatalites, and the sentiment i think summs up the core ldeals of "the Ska scene"... also its catchy as hell

I'll have to agree with ya on that one. Fantastic song  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:11 pm
I Love To Pick It Up
In my opinion, the most ska song would have to be Monkey Man by Toots and the Maytals.

Not only has it survived across the three waves, its been covered by at least three other bands/artists: The Specials, Chris Murray, and Reel Big Fish.

Discuss:
Agree/Disagree?
etc.

I love Monkey man but i really dont agree. Pressure Drop's better and its been covered by so many bands. But I truly think "Unity" by Operation Ivy is because the whole point of Ska was for unity of the White British and the Black Jamaicans, and for all blacks to be equal and thats what the song "Unity" is all about.  

MCS4evr0

Don Caballero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:37 pm
I say i dont really care... ska is ska and thats all that matters...

i hate hearing these kinds of things... xp MY SONG IS MORE SKA THEN YOUS!!! NO ITS NOT!!! YEAH IT IS xp this reason is why I refuse to recognize anyone else in my small town as part of the ska scene... stare sorry if my rant pisses you off... im just an angry little child... stare  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:59 pm
MCS4evr0
I Love To Pick It Up

Discuss:
Agree/Disagree?
etc.

I love Monkey man but i really dont agree. Pressure Drop's better and its been covered by so many bands. But I truly think "Unity" by Operation Ivy is because the whole point of Ska was for unity of the White British and the Black Jamaicans, and for all blacks to be equal and thats what the song "Unity" is all about.
i thought about unity too, but its really not a ska song  

Slag10

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:11 pm
A Perfect Circle 420

i hate hearing these kinds of things... xp MY SONG IS MORE SKA THEN YOUS!!! NO ITS NOT!!! YEAH IT IS xp this reason is why I refuse to recognize anyone else in my small town as part of the ska scene... stare sorry if my rant pisses you off... im just an angry little child... stare

It's true though. There are too many people who go around talking about how "that isn't ska! You're a poser!" You'd think ska would bring nothing but happiness, and that it would be better than that whee  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 pm
Melomaniacal
A Perfect Circle 420

It's true though. There are too many people who go around talking about how "that isn't ska! You're a poser!" You'd think ska would bring nothing but happiness, and that it would be better than that whee

Sometimes I debate this myself then in the end if I wanna consider it ska or in the rude genres all I ask is am I skanking to it?

And a perfect cirlce you seem just as snoby as them if you wont concider them part of the scene. If they go to shows and skank with you thats all you need. Just show them the way!  

Kingshortpants

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 pm
This is a very good thread =) I like it.

And I would have to say either Monkey Man( though yes, it was originally done by Toots and the Maytals who played reggae)

OR

Pressure Drop by Toots and The Maytals and once again The Specials, and then The Clash.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:32 am
oreskaband did a cover too. cant understand them but they sounded nice. :O  

Mister Ska

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:06 pm
Mister Ska
oreskaband did a cover too. cant understand them but they sounded nice. :O

hah really? I'd like to hear that.

Dance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 am
I believe that the most ska song ever would have to be "Guns of Navarone". However, I completely agree with those two gentlemen that pressure drop should be the most ska song with lyrics...  

Throwaway Style

Turn the RADIO off

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:19 pm
User Image
User Image
The most ska song... Huh, I think I agree with you.
But I like to tell my friends that the official ska initiation song is "241" By Reel Big Fish.
Almost ever local band plays it, meaning when I take my friends to ska shows who've never heard ska, the first thing they go home and listen to is 241.
Plus it's the first song I ever skanked to. Correctly. biggrin

User Image

User Image
it's a modern look
but it's all about roots

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:05 pm
Witness The Failure
User Image
User Image
But I like to tell my friends that the official ska initiation song is "241" By Reel Big Fish.
Almost ever local band plays it, meaning when I take my friends to ska shows who've never heard ska, the first thing they go home and listen to is 241.

User Image

User Image
it's a modern look
but it's all about roots

Funny, that's the first ska song I ever heard, even if I didn't know it was ska back then.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Turn the RADIO off

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 pm
Melomaniacal
Witness The Failure
User Image
User Image

User Image

User Image
it's a modern look
but it's all about roots

Funny, that's the first ska song I ever heard, even if I didn't know it was ska back then.
User Image
User Image
I'd have to say the first ska I heard was the Aquabats. Because I was making a pool party mix in 8th grade, and just for kicks I typed 'pool party' into the search.
Found their song pool party.
Eh, not my favorite, but I credit it as being the first ska song I ever heard.

User Image

User Image
it's a modern look
but it's all about roots

Rude Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items