Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
I think you'll find this highly interesting. . . Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The 69th Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 pm
If you live in Florida, you might have seen this in the newspaper ( The Florida Today) , but in a school not so far away from mine, they have banned all gothic clothing and my school is talking about enforcing the ban already in place at our school that bans all gothic clothing and anything promoting death. In protest, several students, myself included, are dressing as goth as we can be on Tuesday when we go back to school.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:41 pm

... So this outfit promotes death?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Or this outfit?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

EDIT: Sarcasm meant towards school board policy, not the OP.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that there's going to be a ban in place, but look at it this way: there is no rule against dressing in goth fashion off-campus. Consider this a look into how getting a job would be like when it comes to dress regulations.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:43 pm
That's terribly sad. gonk
But I think dressing up will just make them want to have the ban more. I wouldn't do it. You might make some kind of formal complaint, though. Get as many supporters and think of as many good reasons as you can for them not to do it and talk to your principal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:52 pm
How would they define that?
"Those black pants are a little too much on the goth side. Come back when you can find some three and a half shades lighter, young man
...And that shade of green seems pretty dangerous"

I mean, is there a set of rules, or are they just going to wing it?  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Firstly, you need to get political savvy, point out, if goth clothing is to be banned, then skate clothing is, sports clothing is, any brand name is to banned. Failure to comply to that request or to dissolve the ban, should then result in petitioning of the school, also remember to invoke your amendment rights as often as possible, should that fail the final step would be to sue the Florida school board for socio discrimination against a specific group without any real justification, don't forget to insight that bands like the beach boys and Buddy Holly were once considered satanic and that your music and fashion are just that, nothing more.

Undoubtedly they will try to use columbine as reasoning for this, so at which point, no official study has proven that the columbine incident was a result of goth culture, as no one so called expert can decide whether it was music, film or video games that supposedly inspired the shooting. Also worth pointing out, that the people involved in columbine weren't goths and were members of the trench coat mafia, which isn't affiliated with any alternative culture.

Follow these steps and worst case scenario, trench coats are banned on the grounds they are very easy to conceal weapons in and there for a security risk. You made your school board look so completely out of touch with everything, there will be an in depth investigation into the board, which will result in members being replaced with more 'in touch' representatives of various alt. cultures.

Works every time. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:52 am
IY_and_MCR
How would they define that?
"Those black pants are a little too much on the goth side. Come back when you can find some three and a half shades lighter, young man
...And that shade of green seems pretty dangerous"

I mean, is there a set of rules, or are they just going to wing it?

Just going to wing it as far as I know.  

The 69th Unknown

The 69th Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:53 am
Rellik San
Firstly, you need to get political savvy, point out, if goth clothing is to be banned, then skate clothing is, sports clothing is, any brand name is to banned. Failure to comply to that request or to dissolve the ban, should then result in petitioning of the school, also remember to invoke your amendment rights as often as possible, should that fail the final step would be to sue the Florida school board for socio discrimination against a specific group without any real justification, don't forget to insight that bands like the beach boys and Buddy Holly were once considered satanic and that your music and fashion are just that, nothing more.

Undoubtedly they will try to use columbine as reasoning for this, so at which point, no official study has proven that the columbine incident was a result of goth culture, as no one so called expert can decide whether it was music, film or video games that supposedly inspired the shooting. Also worth pointing out, that the people involved in columbine weren't goths and were members of the trench coat mafia, which isn't affiliated with any alternative culture.

Follow these steps and worst case scenario, trench coats are banned on the grounds they are very easy to conceal weapons in and there for a security risk. You made your school board look so completely out of touch with everything, there will be an in depth investigation into the board, which will result in members being replaced with more 'in touch' representatives of various alt. cultures.

Works every time. wink

Oddly enough, our school doesn't have a problem with trench coats... They say gothic clothing is a "distraction", and that facial peircings are "potentially harmful". If they say anything to me, I'm going to complain about the bright red football jerseys the football team wears all day on game days, and the incredibly short skirts you see the preppy girls walking around in. Plus theres a rule in our student handbook that says and I quote " The student body at (my school) is one of the most diverse student bodies in the county. The administration and faculty value the various ethnic/cultural backgrounds as well as the variety of social-economic levels represented by our students. Disrespect toward any student or staff member due to ethnic/cultural differences or negative stereotypes will not be tolerated and will result in disciplinary consequences, including out-of-scool suspension."  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:47 am
JeanClaude11
If you live in Florida, you might have seen this in the newspaper ( The Florida Today) , but in a school not so far away from mine, they have banned all gothic clothing and my school is talking about enforcing the ban already in place at our school that bans all gothic clothing and anything promoting death. In protest, several students, myself included, are dressing as goth as we can be on Tuesday when we go back to school.

Your school is jacked up, and I love the protest you you are taking part in... Maybe the teachers will learn not to mess iwth the students independace... were did you get your lay out picture?  

Devils_lilboy

Divinity Rage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 am
Yet again, our rights are being violated. I'd say it's time to get organized. Contact political representatives and whatnot. If you're old enough or know people old enough, advise them that votes are required to keep a politician in office, and yours could always go elsewhere.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:40 pm
That's such $%@!! The world is being censored away.

I know it's often borderline-excrutiating to accept -- to any degree -- something so naive & silly & flat-out wrong. But it's always nice to shock people who are shocked by "deviant clothing of SATAN" by displaying maturity, intellect, self-control, & hospitality.

If your school hasn't done so already, I'd talk to the authority figure(s) at your school that most pertains to changes in the dress code [or, if they're hard to reach or constantly busy, writing a formal-style note requesting to, if possible [it nearly always is, anyway] arrange a brief meeting with them to please clarify exactly what type of "Goth" clothing is currently banned, so you can know what "attire is appropriate for a classroom setting, & what is better worn on weekends, or not in an academic enviornment".
That alone -- as long as you don't get too "suck-up-ish" -- will get you farther than straight rebellion will.

... & you should simply work around the rules. There are so many different ways to "dress Goth". I wouldn't be suprised if they banned guys from wearing 3 lbs of eyeliner, or those crazy Tripp pants, or spiked jewelry, or even shirts with absolutely harmless, yet sarcastic, satirical, or somehow "weird" slogans... but, they can't ban a colour 3nodding

elyzia

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:00 pm
JeanClaude11

Ummm have they ever heard of the constitution? stressed  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:51 pm
That ban is stupid, pointless, and unjustifiable.

If you want to try to stop the ban from being implimented, one way is to get parents to complain about it. Schools will oftentimes cave to the wishes of parents. Tell your friends to have thier parents call or write to the local school administrators, and tell them that they disagree with the ban. Perhaps have the student body do this as well. FLOOD thier mailbox with letters of dissent.

It seems that most sensible people would disagree with the ban of a certain style of clothing, so long as that style is not risque or somehow inappropriate.  

DreamerSpirit

exeno rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:55 pm
Rellik San

Works every time. wink

That would work! Rellik San, you're a genius aren't you? Or you've had a lot of experience with this kind of stuff.

In any case, I hate Florida and can't wait to get out of here DX  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces