Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
DDR, is it really that good? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HIM_fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:33 am
ive seen NUMEROUS posts about people useing DDR as workout..
i personally own one.. but ive never used it in my life. my younger
sister plays it when shes home.
(im afraid of looking like an idiot haha..i
not trying to sound stupid but i feel id look dumb)
but since they are in school it just sits there.and im alone and bored almost allday at my house.

but anyway. DDR is is as good as everyone says?
i think the DDR we have does a workout thing
and calorie counter. ive seen my sister use it.

i mean since i have it why not give it a try i guess right?

heart  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 am
One: I've got a friend who's lost 90 pounds, and her only form of exercise is DDR.

Two: ANY activity is better than no activity at all. Try it. The worst that can happen is that you don't enjoy it, so you move on to another form of exercise.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

HIM_fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:05 am
Divash
One: I've got a friend who's lost 90 pounds, and her only form of exercise is DDR.

Two: ANY activity is better than no activity at all. Try it. The worst that can happen is that you don't enjoy it, so you move on to another form of exercise.

yeah, i have a good work out at dangerousfish helped me plan out, and i have a good diet control to. i just need something a little less boring than my usual work out.i mean dont get me wrong my work out is great, but sometimes it gets a lil repatative and kinda boring.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm
Yeah there is this article: Tanya Jessen's DDR story, off of this website get upand move. There a LOT of kids who've lost tons of weight using DDR.. the newer versions of the game even have a "workout" mode. :3

StilettoReject

HIM_fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 pm
Frau Svenja von Wolfsberg
Yeah there is this article: Tanya Jessen's DDR story, off of this website get upand move. There a LOT of kids who've lost tons of weight using DDR.. the newer versions of the game even have a "workout" mode. :3
wow i read some of those when i clicked th elink on your post.
what amazing people smile

yeah i talked to my younger isster about it because she plays it ALOT
and she said there is a work out mode and she'd help me set up everything so it'll record my "stats"? i guess...going by what she says tho..
ive never even played tha game so i basically have no clue on how to set it up lol..so shes gonna help me i guess.. she says i have to weigh myself, and give my height too or something liek that..we bought the game like maybe a year ago?? it was a brand new game..straight out of the package.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 am
HIM_fan
wow i read some of those when i clicked th elink on your post.
what amazing people smile

yeah i talked to my younger isster about it because she plays it ALOT
and she said there is a work out mode and she'd help me set up everything so it'll record my "stats"? i guess...going by what she says tho..
ive never even played tha game so i basically have no clue on how to set it up lol..so shes gonna help me i guess.. she says i have to weigh myself, and give my height too or something liek that..we bought the game like maybe a year ago?? it was a brand new game..straight out of the package.

Yeah in the work out mode you enter all of your stats (age, weight, height, etc) and it keeps track of all of it for you. :] It tells you how many calories you've burned and how far you've "jogged," and then when you save, it'll keep record of all of your progress.

StilettoReject

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:56 am
Yes, it's great! You really do need to get good at it to get a decent workout out of it (although, like Divash said, ANY activity is better than no activity at all, so start slow and work up to the harder songs). I've found the best way to go about it (once you can do most of the hard mode songs) is set it into constant play mode so there's no break between songs, and just set the in-game timer in workout mode for like half an hour or 45 minutes or something like that. I'm not sure if you have the version that has all that stuff... I highly reccomend Konamix for PS1, it's super great (and also super cheap by now surprised ).  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:00 am
I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE DDR!!!!!!!!!!! Its my fav game of ALL TIME. Im 264lbs and can do it on Advanced on speed 2. I just love it so much. And yes it will help you lose! I plan on sticking it in my weight loss plan and doing it a LOT more!!  

LadySilverNite

avoirdu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 am
well it's fun and it's not torture like running outside or going to a gym where everyone can see you  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm
I also just suggest that you get a few of the different versions of it, though. I´ve been playing Super Nova for a little over a year now and I´m bored to death of it. x_o;;  

StilettoReject

lionantlers12066

9,800 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:30 am
I also just suggest that you get a few of the different versions of it, though. I´ve been playing Super Nova for a little over a year now and I´m bored to death of it. x_o;;
oh, god, soooo agreed. I gotta get out and get the new game soon.

But yes, DDR is a great way to exercise. It's in your home, it's fun, and it doesn't really feel like a work out. You're getting a workout, but because it's fun and not at a gym, it doesn't feel like one.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 am
What's the name of the mat that's $75 and "just like the arcade game," firm and doesn't slide? I'd love to look into getting this for my new apartment, once we've moved in. Right now I've got carpeted floors, but the neighborhood where I'll be moving has a LOT of places with hardwood, and I shudder to think of doing DDR on a slip-slidey mat and going down hard on that hardwood.

Also, do the newer versions come with more songs, or are there expansion packs that have more songs? I'd love to add some material to my dancing repertoire.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

lenady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm
I've been looking for one of the nicer dance pads also, and they've been kind of difficult to find. I looked on Amazon and all of the thicker non-stick pads are unavailable except through outside sellers, which I'm somewhat leary of working with.

And as far as I know all of the different versions have different songs. Some appear in multiple ones but I've got two (extreme 2 for the ps2 and konamix for the ps) and only a couple of songs were on both. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I got dance factory recently, which allows you to use your own cds with the game. I think it enables your console to download a version of the cd onto it's harddrive and use it in the game... to be honest I"m not certain of how it works, but it sounds cool.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm
I am a huge fan of Dance Dance Revolution and I play it often. This game provides a wonderful workout and you can even add your own dance steps! However, like every other work out routine, DDR can become boring over time. Be sure to mix your routine up a bit. DDR does provide an excellent cardio workout, but strength training should be included in your routine. 4laugh  

_Miss_Bootiful_Girl_

Psychotic_Psychic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:47 pm
DDR is a good way to mix up your workout. It's awesome for cardio, and much more fun than just trying to do jumping jacks or jumping rope. biggrin However, like any other exercise, it can get dull, so you've got to alternate to keep it fun.

I do 40 mins-1 hr of DDR every once in a while, whenever I feel guilty about not exercising enough or when I want a change of pace. I have three different games, though honestly, I'm bored by most of the songs I have because I've played them all to death. I'll need to get a new one.

Though isn't there a game LIKE DDR where you can somehow put in your own songs? I know there's StepMania that you can use on your PC (and you use an adapter for the dance pad or something), but I'm talking about one for the PS2.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games