Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
ADF, or Those Elitist Pagan Punks! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm
Introduction

So. Here I will attempt to lay down what path I follow, as well as what Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF hereafter) holds as its tenants (using correct grammar, spelling and everything! Lucky you.). It is very important to make the distinction between the two as ADF is actually a *public religion.

While a private and solitary worshipper may use any paradigm, action, religion, etc. in how they practice, ADF does have some limitations. These will be explained further, as well as comparison, where needed, between private and public practice. Both are considered equally important in one's religious life.

Hopefully I can give a full account, or as accurate as possible. Unfortunately, I am not considered a priest of our organization, so I feel rather bereft of the proper wording to lay out things in detail. If something looks odd or confusing, do not hesitate to ask. Again, we are a public organization and are perfectly happy to explain what being a member of ADF entails for an active practitioner. Meanwhile, if a member has made a certain oath, or been spoken to by a Kindred, and it has been made clear it is to be kept secret, it's still viable. It's just not officially ADF.

Edit: Yes, we have been called Elitist ( rofl ). But, as with many names, it comes from the critics; in this case those who like to play make-believe with history. I still think it's rather funny, xp .

*Upon further discussion with a number of members, it seems only the eight High Days of a grove have to be public. Any other rituals they have may be private.

Other than that though, ADF still limits what it's rituals can be claimed to follow. Individual practices can vary, as per Pagan tradition, and do not need to follow a certain process.

Updates

September 3, 2007 - added asterick in Intro, deleted paragraph in General pertaining to publicity.

December 26, 2008 - substituted "Germanic" for previously listed "Norse" in General. Scholastically and historically speaking, "Germanic" is much more encompassing than "Norse", as the former covers Continental as well as Northern Peninsular, which "Norse" is generally used to define. More often than not, when "Norse" is used, it specifies to Icelandic, which was not the extent of the Germanic peoples.

January 22, 2009 - added Ritual Order, link to Warrior's Guild, membership limitations, moved Updates to Introduction

April 13, 2009 - changed last Reserved post to Commentary. Added personal commentary on Earth Mother.

June 18, 2009 - finally added content to Personal Path. Not complete yet, however serves for basic.

August 6, 2009 - edited phrasing for ADF translation in General. Wasn't clear that the other definitions I was providing were not linguistically accurate, but that they were personal holdings to others within the organization.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 pm
General

Ár nDraíocht Féin, as it is translated, means literally "our own magic". Depending on who you speak with, they might personally interpret it as "our own path", or even the common "our own Druidry" (more on the use of the word "Druid" later). It was founded in 1983 by Isaac Bonewits as a reaction to other existing pagan religions and their creative historical accounts. As a result, scholarship is a significant aspect that is ever present, both in creation and retention of beliefs/practices/rituals. Literally, whenever a new idea is presented, the most common inquiry is "What's the scholarship behind it? What sources did you draw upon to create this?" To some extent, it is a reconstructionist religion, to another, pure creative genius.

While the use of the word "Druid" would imply a strictly Celtic inspired faith, it is actually encompassing of all Indo-European (IE) cultures, with the encouragement for each member to "pick" a hearth culture to build upon or start from. Celtic, *Germanic, Roman, Greek, Slavic and Vedic all play a part when speaking of ADF as a whole. There is no one source that explains the progression from a Celtic faith to an IE inclusive one, although I suspect it might stem from the fact that some cultures did a little bit of intermingling and drew on a number of similar beliefs. As a result, it is fairly eclectic.

Like many other religions of the time ADF was started, it does hold a healthy amount of Nature Worshipping as well as polytheistic. In many of the rituals, one might see soft polytheism, as the Earth Mother is usually titled under the deity of the culture of the rite, as well as other functions, however the organization has no public stance, and many are in fact hard polytheists. Most of the more vocal members believe the deities are distinct individuals, with their own personalities and quirks, and some just so happen to have the same job functions as another from a different culture.

A sanctioned ritual would (generally) have one IE culture as the basis for whom to refer to and some of the cosmology tailored to fit better. Some successful rituals have spanned multiple IE cultures, but no non-IE beings may be used. It would need to follow ADF ritual structure (which includes calling deities of purpose depending on culture, all three Kindreds, and establishment of the three Realms) and at no point involve bloodletting.

*Editorial: Apparently the general public doesn't approve of bloodletting in any sense.*

When joining, as well as any time after, one has the ability to either classify themselves as a solitary or affiliate oneself with a specific Grove (Chartered, with at least three members). Affiliation however does not necessarily make one a member of that Grove, as each does require their own annual dues.

Yes, dues. Because paper and websites cost money, there are fees to be a member of ADF and its Groves. Some Groves even have a mortgage to pay, however that is supported by donations. Membership or no, it does not give more or less credence to one's faith or practices.

Each Grove, upon gaining their Charter, classify themselves as a certain IE religion, or some just simply IE. This signifies what culture they lean to when performing their rituals, although they might deviate depending on their membership.

Membership to a Grove is limited to only one Grove, however membership in ADF is not limited to only ADF. There are regularly members who also patron other neo-pagan or reconstructionist organizations (such as, The Troth, Nova Roma, OBOD, Keltria, etc.).  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:51 pm
Cosmology

Kindreds

We hold to three different types of beings that make up whom we worship, honor, remember, etc.

Ancestors: those who come before us and have died. Kin of blood, kin of heart, those who were your family and are dead, those who attained the status of great hero, those with ideas and beliefs of a kind to yours.

Some hold that our own past lives, or the past lives of living family, may be called on for Ancestors.

They are classified as the Mighty Dead and the General Dead. The former is composed of the heroes, the "famous" ones who accomplished great deeds.

Nature Spirits: those that walk, crawl, swim, fly, blow, stand, grow. They are the animals, the wind, the rocks, the plants, the streams, the oceans and seas, the mountains. They are both the Spirits living among us and those that have departed.

Many accept and use the notion of Totems when referring to specific Nature Spirits that have touched their lives.

Deities: the Cthonic Ones and the Shining Ones, the Gods of the Underworld, those of Nature and those of the Upperworld. Depending on which culture, some are immortal, others mortal.

*Editorial: Concerning the Ancestors and the Nature Spirits, there can be some confusion, depending on what culture is drawn. Celtic and some Roman show interweaving and -knitting between the two, where in one a person could have been a Nature Spirit in their past life, and the other was nursed by a Nature Spirit now deceased. This particular issue has not been formerly addressed yet and is left for the individual to sort out.

Structure of the Cosmos

Upperworld; realm of the Gods

Midworld; realm of man and the Nature Spirits

Underworld; reald of the Dead

Sacred Center

Crossroads of the Vertical and Horizontal Axes

- Three Realms

Land; median between the two

Sea; seen as Chaos

Sky; seen as Order

- Three Hallows or Gates (can vary depending on which culture one is drawing on)

Well; associated with the Underworld and the Dead, potential

Fire; associated with the Upperworld and the Gods, spark of inspiration or initiative

Tree; associated with Midworld and the Nature Spirits, bridge between the two  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:53 pm
Ritual

In each rite, there are certain job functions that need to be called on. While we don't technically invoke the deity, we do ask their presence and specific actions. High Day rites also have a Deity of the Occasion, based on which culture is being used and which seasonal holiday it is.

Guardian; a deity usually associated with the Warrior's class, often though, a demigod or Ancestor (such as Cuchullain) can be called. We do not caste a circle, so to keep what we call Outsiders from meddling with what we're doing, we ask a Kindred to guard our rite and keep them at bay. (Morrighan, Thor, Cuchullain, Ogma etc.)

Earth Mother; depending on the culture, she is called by the deity depicted as the Land.* (Danu, Nerthus, Gaia, etc.)

Inspiration; a deity who guides the tongue, usually associated with Bardic class. One who either was given secret wisdom and has shared it, or one who will put the right words into one's mouth. (Brighid, Ogma, Taliesin, etc.)

Gatekeeper; deity who walks between the worlds. Often can be one who guides the Dead to the Underworld, or guards an entrance to another World. (Manannan, Heimdall, Hermes, etc.)

*Recently I've come to an odds with this. There have been a number of thoughts that pass my mind with this particular practice of simply calling the Earth by all the names of Earth deities. One, as a hard polytheist, each name is a distinct deity, so calling each name for one thing doesn't make sense. Two, with some cultures, I would assume the name for the Earth deity is actually the name of the Land itself, limited to a set area. Calling then one Land by another name would be disgraceful and disrespectful.

Ritual Order

Core Order of ADF Ritual for High Days

1. Initiating the Rite - May include:

* Musical Signal
* Opening Prayer
* Processional
* Establishing the Group Mind

2. Purification - This must take place prior to Opening the Gates

3. Honoring the Earth Mother

4. Statement of Purpose

5. (Re)Creating the Cosmos

* Sacred Center must be established in a triadic Cosmos
* The Three Worlds or Realms must be acknowledged
* The Fire must be included
* Sacred Center is most commonly represented as Fire, Well and Tree

6. Opening the Gate(s) - Must include a Gatekeeper

7. Inviting the Three Kindreds

8. Key Offerings - This will commonly include:

* Invitation of Beings of the Occasion
* Seasonal customs as appropriate
* Praise Offerings

9. Prayer of Sacrifice

10. Omen

11. Calling (asking) for the Blessings

12. Hallowing the Blessing

13. Affirmation of the Blessing

14. Workings (if any)

15. Thanking the Beings

16. Closing the Gate(s)

17. Thanking the Earth Mother

18. Closing the Rite

Items that ADF Rituals Do Not Include

1. Elemental Cross Symbolism (the 4 Elements)
2. Casting Circles in public ritual
3. Calling Watchtowers or Elemental Guardians
4. Calling the dualtheistic "Lord" and "Lady"
5. Acknowledgement of one divine being with power over all
6. Blood Sacrifices
7. Non-Indo-European mythic and deity motifs  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:53 pm
Calendar

ADF uses the basic Pagan Calendar, with 8 High Days. In fact, a Grove is obligated to celebrate those High Days yearly to retain their charter.

Depending on which culture the rite will be in, the name can vary.

A Grove's and solitary's rites are not limited by 8 days. It is often encouraged actually to celebrate those other significant dates of one's hearth culture or patrons.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm
Personal Path

I am currently a member of ADF, as well as the Troth. Dual memberships in these organizations are not contradictory, nor do they seem to harm my relationship with my Kindred.

I also am a part of ADF's Warrior's Guild. This means a great deal to me as I have always been called to this path. I am a military brat and recently have taken my oath for the Navy.

My personal path has me combining certain aspects of the Celtic gods I have had significant experiences with, and the Germanic ancestry and Kindred that call to me. It's been...interesting to say the least.

I have an altar set up with many different Kindred presiding upon it. Deities of a couple of pantheons dwell there (Athena and Dionysus both have their own statues, as well as Durga, Quan Yin and Bride. The Green Tara has a postcard from when the Dalai Llama was in town and a guest at the hotel I was working for brought it back specifically for me.), and representations of other Kindred (pictures of loved ones past and previously owned objects, small sculptures of animals - yay wolves! ooh, and lizards - a post card of the Dalai Llama).

There is also one tattoo, for now, on my body that is a constant reminder of my path and what I will stand for. It is the rune Tiwaz, which is associated with the god Tyr (in some sources, actually having the same name as the rune). He is a god of sacrifice, honor and right action. For a basic feel of why, Wiki* seems to be pretty accurate. I plan on getting a few more tattoos that are equally important to my life and faith (a bee for Bride and my gods-children's footprints).

There will be more to follow when I am more coherent.

*This print out was actually used for "approving" my tattoo when I enlisted.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:57 pm
Other

Due to constant updates and improvements to the scholarship and what we know about those that passed, ADF can be termed a fluid religion. We are always growing, adding, amending and subtracting things.

While we hold scholarship highly as well, we also hold true to personal gnosis. There is no problem with including something in one's own workings that one might hold true. However, it must be made clear that it is gnosis and not scholarly.

Websites

Official site of Ár nDraíocht Féin.

Warrior's Guild website.

Isaac's site.

Archdruid Skip's page.

Wiki's take, and fairly accurate.

My grove's site.

Ceisiwr Serith's site. Oh, he's amazing!

Books

ADF Recommended Reading List

In Search of the Indo-Europeans
Comparative Mythology
A History of Pagan Europe
The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory
The Celtic Heroic Age
Celtic Heritage
Pagan Celtic Britain
The Mabinogi
The Tain
A Brief History of the Druids
The Druids
Greek Religion
Religion in the Ancient Greek City
Theogony, Works and Days
The Illiad/The Odyssey
The Homeric Hymns
The Poetic Edda
Edda
Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
The Saga of the Volsungs
Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe
Heaven, Heroes, and Happiness
The Romans and Their Gods in the Age of Augustus
Fasti
The Gods of Ancient Rome
An Introduction to Roman Religion
Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
The Bathhouse at Midnight - although I've heard from a member or two that this is now very questionable
The Early Slavs
Religion and Philosophy of the Veda and Upanishads
The Religion of the Veda
The Origins and Development of Classical Hinduism
Vedic Mythology
Drawing Down the Moon
The Triumph of the Moon
Being a Pagan
The Idiot's Guide to Paganism - I do not recommend this book. There are far better "beginner" books.
Landscape and Memory
Keeping a Nature Journal

ADF Authors

The Idiot's Guide to Paganism
A World Full of Gods
Book of Pagan Prayer
Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
The Druids' Alphabet
The Solitary Druid
Sacred Fire, Holy Well

Mottos

"Why not excellence?"

"As fast as a speeding oak!"

"Ár nDraíocht...ooh shiny!"  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:57 pm
On the Nature of the "D" Word

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:00 pm
Nine Virtues*

Wisdom - Good judgment, the ability to perceive people and situations correctly, deliberate about and decide on the correct response

Piety - Correct observance of ritual and social traditions; the maintenance of the agreements, (both personal and societal), we humans have with the Gods and Spirits. Keeping the Old Ways, through ceremony and duty

Vision - The ability to broaden one's perspective to have a greater understanding of our place/role in the cosmos, relating to the past, present and future

Courage - The ability to act appropriately in the face of danger

Integrity - Honor; being trustworthy to oneself and to others, involving oath-keeping, honesty, fairness, respect, self-confidence

Perseverance - Drive; the motivation to pursue goals even when that pursuit becomes difficult

Hospitality - Acting as both a gracious host and an appreciative guest, involving benevolence, friendliness, humor, and the honoring of "a gift for a gift"

Moderation - Cultivating one's appetites so that one is neither a slave to them nor driven to ill health, (mental or physical), through excess or deficiency

Fertility - Bounty of mind, body and spirit, involving creativity, production of objects, food, works of art, etc., an appreciation of the physical, sensual, nurturing

*As printed by ADF in the Dedicant's Manual  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:02 pm
Personal Commentary on Practices, Concepts, and Turds

The use of Earth Mother in Ritual -
Typically, ritual has certain "functions" that are met with specific deities. In a Norse rite, for the "functions", different deities of Norse pantheon will be selected to fill certain "roles". Insert culture the High Day or ritual will be in, and it's pretty much chug and plug with the deities in that culture.

I personally have recently taken an affront when it gets to the Earth Mother portion.

What generally happens here is that the Celebrant or "Talking Head" as we call the main person in a High Day, will select the typical representation of an Earth Mother in whatever culture and pay heed and offerings to this deity. What I've found more often though, is that the deity they are using is actually a local deity of the culture that was specific to a certain land area (Nerthus and, shoot me later Cu - Danu, being the ones that spring to mind).

I find this an affront because not only is it calling only the deity of a specific land (on which many are not actually dwelling or making ritual), it's also "yanking" said deity away from where they actually are (perhaps just me, I think some local deities are bound unless ritually "wander" or "moved"), and insulting the local land deity as well as the deity of the Earth by not referring to them correctly.

I have had a number of conversations with other members of ADF, and it was rather interesting that they didn't seem to come up with this thought on their own. Some gave me near hostile push back, but again, I think that's part in parcel to ADF not commonly understanding numerous closed culture concepts and too much pantheism.

In short - I hate chug and plug for some things. It isn't the same and it doesn't work.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 pm
So- what is the ADF's Public stance on taking from Closed Cultures?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:23 pm
TeaDidikai
So- what is the ADF's Public stance on taking from Closed Cultures?
officially, there is no stance as there is no (official) distinction of Closed Cultures.

concerning the Celtic cultures, some members are Celts and some have been called by specific deities to worship them. in an attempt to honor the deity calling them, they attempt to create a path coinciding with that culture.

concerning non-IE Closed Cultures, it would remain in the domain of private practice and ADF does not limit private practice, as long as it's not being represented as ADF.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:45 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
officially, there is no stance as there is no (official) distinction of Closed Cultures.

concerning the Celtic cultures, some members are Celts and some have been called by specific deities to worship them. in an attempt to honor the deity calling them, they attempt to create a path coinciding with that culture.

concerning non-IE Closed Cultures, it would remain in the domain of private practice and ADF does not limit private practice, as long as it's not being represented as ADF.

So- why is there no official stance on the distinction of Closed Cultures?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:50 pm
TeaDidikai
So- why is there no official stance on the distinction of Closed Cultures?
i can think of a number of reasons, but do not know which one is more likely. heck, it might be a combination of reasons.

could be:
1. part of the inclusionist reasoning that permeates a deal of the pagan scene.

2. lack of foresight and consideration for those cultures.

3. most do not see any of the IE cultures as closed, and therefore don't deem to place a position on such.

4. the concept of a Closed Culture is fairly unknown to many members.

truthfully, i suspect much of it might be the 4th. i didn't really consider that until you had mentioned their existance some time ago.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:53 pm
phoenix shadowwolf

truthfully, i suspect much of it might be the 4th. i didn't really consider that until you had mentioned their existance some time ago.
Fair enough.

Is there any guideline for ethics (outside of the bloodletting) when it comes to taking from other cultures for public ritual?  
PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff