Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Exercise Video Review Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:50 pm
Here is a place where you can all discuss exercise videos in one general location. Give us the good the bad and the ugly of any exercise videos you use.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:28 am
I'll be posting a buttload of stuff here in just a bit. x3 I've had a lot less time this semester than I had hoped for!

StilettoReject

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:35 pm
:'D

Yoga Booty Ballet

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Exercise Instructors:
Gillian Marloth "in order to change your body, you have to change your mind."
Teigh McDonough "free your inner funky ballerina."

I got the starter set from Target for about $35. A little more than most people our ages are willing to spend on a normal basis, but it's totally worth it! Depending on where you get it from you'll get more with the set. Since I got it at Target from the "As Seen On TV" company, it only had the two DVD sets (one that has guided meditation, total toning basics, and advanced fat burning, and the other with hip hop & abs, and cardio caberet), a small informational packet, the squishy ball, and the "ballerina diet" pamphlet. You get a little more than that when you order it from the site. :]

YBB Website

My personal thoughts // review: I. EFFING. LOVE. IT! I've had trouble staying interested in every other DVD I own since I started it.. just because all the other ones I have are just cheesy, and YBB is cheesy AND just.. awesome! They're silly, but they really do keep you motivated throughout the videos. :] Every DVD targets a different area of your body, really.. some have ab routines at the end, others ballet tone up routines. All start out with short yoga meditation routines, usually with around 2-4 different moves. You'll repeat a mantra or two and set an "intention" at the beginning of each session. :]

Rated 1-10? I give it a 1 million. x3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:42 pm
NYC Ballet

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Featuring:
Helene Alexopoulos
Albert Evans
Edwaard Liang
Deanna McBearty

It has a couple of sections including a warm up, stretches floor barre, abs, leg darts, etc. :] It also includes a short bio video for each person in the ex. vid. at the end. :]

My Personal thoughts // review: Awwwwesome! I can only do it about once a week because it seriously kills my muscles. :'D But it's amazing. It's really good for toning up!

9/10.

StilettoReject

Anhedonic Hedonist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:23 pm
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but what the heck.

I'm often home alone, and have a perfect large space in front of the tv, so I think an exercise video would be good. I mean, if I spent the cash, I'd pretty much have to use it.

However... Yoga Booty Ballet? xp It sounds like it's 1. Made for chicks, and 2. Ballet. Need I say more? xd Sorry, I know I'm a Negative Nancy.

What exercise videos can a guy use without being uber embarrassed about it? And, I'm incredibly cheap... so, how much do most exercise videos cost?

Thanks! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:03 am
this is gonna sound funny, but go to ross, they have tons of workout dvds for cheep  

Soi Tsuba

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:05 pm
Carnivorous Conway
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but what the heck.

I'm often home alone, and have a perfect large space in front of the tv, so I think an exercise video would be good. I mean, if I spent the cash, I'd pretty much have to use it.

However... Yoga Booty Ballet? xp It sounds like it's 1. Made for chicks, and 2. Ballet. Need I say more? xd Sorry, I know I'm a Negative Nancy.

What exercise videos can a guy use without being uber embarrassed about it? And, I'm incredibly cheap... so, how much do most exercise videos cost?

Thanks! biggrin

LOL.. yeah, it is a little girly.. at least it's geared more towards them since women are more likely to stay at home and exercise while guys are more like to run or pump iron. x3 Not totally correct! But that's how the industry sees it..

Anyway! All of the videos I have so far are geared more towards girls.. but you just have to look for what you want! If the exercise you're looking for isn't in a good video, then I wouldn't get them.. buuut there are a TON of martial arts and boxing videos that are geared towards men. :3 Go to Amazon! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm
Soi Tsuba
this is gonna sound funny, but go to ross, they have tons of workout dvds for cheep

That's where I get all of my yoga and pilates stuff! x3 I still have a TON of videos to put up.. xDDD

StilettoReject

CherryCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm
I love tabooe he's a awesome work-out. he does different kind of things to yoga/martial arts and dance. 10/10  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:38 am
http://community.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Kickbox-Yoga-Fusion.html

This is my FAVOURITE excercise video ever. She's a little annoying, but the kickboxing leaves me feeling so powerful! And ... jelly like. It's a really great workout.  

Lady Schist

nerdliberation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 pm
Here's some that I've used and liked:

Denise Austin's Personal Training System
Denise Austin is kind of scary (like many exercise video personalities), but this DVD is cool because you can use the menu and piece segments together for a customized workout, like cardio, legs, arms, abs, etc at different intensity levels.

Crunch Fat Burning Ab Attack
This one's pretty cool because you get some cardio in while focusing mostly on abs, doing standing exercises and mat work. A good one to rotate in every now and then.

Crunch Super Slimdown Yoga & Pilates
Here's another one from the Crunch series. I like the instructor on this one. She's not as cheesy and peppy as others. This is a cool yoga/pilates blend that feels mellow while at the same time effective, which is nice on days when you're not feeling up to high-intensity cardio stuff. I'm not patient enough for straight yoga, so I like the blend of yoga and pilates.

Tracy Mallett SuperBody Boot Camp: Burn It
Whoa! I just got this one (for a few bucks from Ross, hehe), and it's inTENSE! This is some serious cardio (mostly kick-boxing)...I was sweating bullets and must've burned a boatload of calories. I also felt the "burn" for a day or two afterwards. Serious stuff! I'm going to stick with this and see what happens!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 am
When I was young, my mom and me would "work out" to Richard Simmons. He is crazy, has a high pitched voice, and a curly afro... but he can lead a pretty helpful and fun workout. Most of his videos are good... just really really old, I don't even know if you can find them anymore.

I have two dvds I use now regularly.
1. The FIRM Cardio Dance Slim Down
"Dance your way to a slimmer you, guarenteed results in 10 workouts."
Yeah, the first time I used this, I was so sore the next day, I could barely walk. But no pain, no gain, right? This video really works. It's fun, and easy. The only thing I would complain about it, is by the beginning of the 3rd part (not including the warm up), my sides always hurt -really- bad, so much so I can hardly finish. But once again, no pain, no gain!

2. Power Yoga: Total Body with Rodney Yee
Okay, Rodney Yee is my favorite yoga dude of all time. I had a class in school with one of his easier videos, something like 'Yoga for Athletes" and by the end of that class I could see and feel a difference in every aspect of my life- it even helped my grades better.
Anyway, this dvd, the one I have skips, because I got it through a poor shipping company. BUt other than that, which isn't obviously an aspect of it, just something wrong with my copy, it's a great workout- it's really challenging. I would reccomend not starting with this video if you haven't had some background in yoga, because he does go through the positiosn quiet quickly..

And to answer Anhedonic Hedonist's question:
Tae Bo. I mean, all you really do is punch and kick stuff? Pretty manly, if you ask me.  

skipper_339

Kasumi Kama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Okay, well, I just did a workout movie called Self: Bikini Ready, Fast! and holy crap! It really did a good workout for the arms, at least in my opinion. I don't really think it matches the title (not that I'm preparing to wear a bikini any time soon xd ,) since it was a LOT of arm exercises...but... I think I will definitely have to add it into my strength training routine. xD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:37 pm
Kasumi Kama

Okay, well, I just did a workout movie called Self: Bikini Ready, Fast! and holy crap! It really did a good workout for the arms, at least in my opinion. I don't really think it matches the title (not that I'm preparing to wear a bikini any time soon xd ,) since it was a LOT of arm exercises...but... I think I will definitely have to add it into my strength training routine. xD

http://www.eztakes.com/store/streaming/watch.jsp?pid=0170307 watch it online  

Soi Tsuba

Bunniegurl123

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 pm
TurboJam

I know it's expensive but it's really worth it. I love it. It's so fun to do. It takes a while to learn how to do all the moves and get used to the workouts, but it really is fun and you really feel the workout.

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games