View Results

sectumsempra225

4,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:37 am
I'm sorry if this has been done already. sweatdrop

I was just wondering where you TNG fans (or others) stand on this pivotal issue: Is Lt. Comm. Data the property of Starfleet?

While it is ideal that one has seen the episode "The Measure of a Man," it is certainly not required.

I will stand on the sidelines for a little bit. I want to see where you guys take this. wink

The Issue:
Is Lt. Comm. Data the property of Starfleet?

The Positions:

Yes: Data is a machine, built by a man in the same manner Pinocchio was built by a man. He has no rights and is the property of Starfleet, and must subject himself to be disassembled, studied and possibly replicated.

No: Data chose to join Starfleet, and therefore, has the right to choose to not be disassembled. He is a sentient being with inalienable rights and is not the property of Starfleet.

Let the debate begin! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:21 pm
It's kinda like the situation asking weather the doctor in Voyager is just a hologram to be toyed with.

Data is sentient and has the ability to learn and reason, therefore I believe he is his own person and has rights. I do not think he should be considered starfleet property at anytime  

goddess_oraorchid

purple_freak15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:34 pm
I think that Data is defenatly not Starfleet property. He choose to join Starfleet, and he could choose to leave. If his maker had sold him to Starfleet it would be different, but because it was Data's choice I think that he's his own person (or android in this case). Plus, he has feelings and emotions (well, later on he does) so that means he's practically a person. You wouldn't cut up a live person to study then and then put them back together.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:51 pm
Data is NOT property. He can think and decide for himself. Dr. Soong didn't build him to be a slave. He gave him the same potential to grow and learn that any human would have.

Besides, they already ruled in his favor in the episode so there razz  

Katina Star

Dangerous Noob

3,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Red Roses in December

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 am
I think that Data is a sentient being, and thathe is not the property of Starfleet. If you don't beleive me, ask the writers of TNG. They agree with me.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:53 pm
Of course not. Data is a setient being. But he is the pwnege twisted twisted  

pcoppage

aviator1989

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am
Data is most definitely a sentient being! Granted he was made by Dr. Soong. Be we all are made. His is just a unique situation. And he can not be property of starfleet, because it was HIS decision to join. He can think and act on his own behalf. He is indeed a sentient being!

cool  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:08 pm
I like Data, and if you don't like Data, then bugger off!  

startrekadmiral

Saoraan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:25 pm
I personally believe that Data, being a thinking, logical, rational being who is capable of higher thought and decision making is definitely a sentient being who should not be considered anyones property.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:38 am
I totally agree with the idea that he is a sentient being, but...

ALRIGHT! Who voted he is the property of Starfleet? Show yourself! biggrin  

sectumsempra225

4,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Shopping_Spree_101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:48 am
wasn't me. I voted he isn't. Yeah, who did vote yes?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:31 pm
firefactorx

Me. By accident... PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!! *Cowers*  

Naphatarie

Edge3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 pm
The machine and creation is Dr. Soongs property and respect. The mind and learniing intellect is all Data! He has free will and personal rights. Therefore, Data cannot be the property of Star Fleet. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:00 pm
Naphatarie
firefactorx

Me. By accident... PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!! *Cowers*

by accident? oh ok that's ok then smile  

Shopping_Spree_101

sensei_ken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:18 am
It seems like everyone believes that Data is not property. Most have cited that he is not because of his ability to think on his own.

Some scientists believe that we will have a true AI in the next 20 years. More believe that it will happen within our life time. What then. Do most believe that the intelligences that we create, if proven to be so, also have rights as individuals?  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff