Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Memorization? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

should memorization count?
  yes
  no
View Results

[lady joker]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:21 pm
Do you think memorization is major or minor?

I personally think it depends on what you want to memorize.

Like the fact that I can compare myself to Athena for most part. (and if you know Athena like i do you know why)

but if it was for a call the the Gods and Goddesses, then i don't feel it should be written word.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:28 pm
I think it highly depends on the deities or rituals involved; for shorter prayers reading from source is a no-no to my gods, but for longer rituals it's perfectly allowed. Now, I know there are some pagans out there for whom the ability to spout off the entirety of the Descent of the Goddess is a sign not that they are more well-versed or have a better memory, but that they are better than you. These pagans are also known under another word:

Assholes.

Really, it's a case-by-case (no pun intended) thing, with some religions or traditions requiring rote memorization of all or some rituals word-for-word, some more lax, some not caring at all. When working with deities, I'd say it's really up to them whether or not memorization is a necessity or just a good thing.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:36 pm
Big fan of it myself for a couple reasons:
1) It maintains a flow- when the words are second nature, you don't have to break the flow of ritual to find your place or stumble over how to pronounce something.

2) The "energy" one pays into learning the ritual is energy that can be "paid out" to the ritual itself.

3) As Case mentioned, Respect. In the case of some beings, reading from a cheat sheet would be disrespectful.

4) It helps others keep up. When working with a group, when timing counts, having an even cant helps others remember their lines too.

5) Isn't 1-4 enough?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:29 pm
good points...but don't you think practice is important as well? i mean, you can't do a ritual and just know what to do...can you?  

[lady joker]

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 pm
I, myself, think memorization counts for something, yes, but I think that placing a heavy emphasis on it can be something of a hindrance.

I memorized a few calls to Gods, and this made rituals feel more even as I wasn't fumbling with a book, which was a good thing

However, memorizing a religious doctrine does not necessarily give you any insight, just a collection of words in order. It's analysis of said document that gives a person insight. Also, I don't think what you think personally or how you feel, or rituals you create should be abandoned entirely in favor of memorizing something by rote.

Takes a lot of the spirit out of things if you're just parroting. I don't think memorization is as important as the thought and feeling behind the act of memorizing.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 am
[lady joker]
good points...but don't you think practice is important as well? i mean, you can't do a ritual and just know what to do...can you?
In my practice? Very much so. The bulk of what I do is that way.  

TeaDidikai

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 am
Heilsan Allir,

Within the context of the Germanic Folkway, the mark of a good ritualist is in fact the ability to come up with stuff off the top of your head. Indeed, Skaldic capabilities are outside the process of memorisation in the classic model. Snippets of passage, or kennings may have been memorised, but it was how the Skald put it all together which made, or broke, their reputation, and I find that the same applies in what I do.

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:46 am
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Allir,

Within the context of the Germanic Folkway, the mark of a good ritualist is in fact the ability to come up with stuff off the top of your head. Indeed, Skaldic capabilities are outside the process of memorisation in the classic model. Snippets of passage, or kennings may have been memorised, but it was how the Skald put it all together which made, or broke, their reputation, and I find that the same applies in what I do.

Ver thu heil
At the same time however- I have seen "Godhja" and "Godhi" do ritualistic "readings" and it was like listening to Ben Stein fumble through ancient greek.  

TeaDidikai

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Allir,

Ver thu heil
At the same time however- I have seen "Godhja" and "Godhi" do ritualistic "readings" and it was like listening to Ben Stein fumble through ancient greek.

Heilsan Tea ok Allir,

Yep, so have I, and yes, the effect is entirely underwhelming smile Thankfully most people whom have done blotar here have eschewed such practices smile

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:33 am
I am not a huge fan of memorization, but that's because I suck at it. Clear, slow, smooth speech is a must, though, when one is speaking within a ritual - imo.

I'm attempting the skaldically gorgeous stuff off the top of my head thing; it's not easy, especially when one is also grappling with large and often unvoiced/unworded feelings.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 am
Deoridhe
I am not a huge fan of memorization, but that's because I suck at it. Clear, slow, smooth speech is a must, though, when one is speaking within a ritual - imo.

I'm attempting the skaldically gorgeous stuff off the top of my head thing; it's not easy, especially when one is also grappling with large and often unvoiced/unworded feelings.

Heilsan Deoridhe ok Allir,

I must say, the more you do it, the easier it does become, as it's indeed a process of internalisation and the ability to listen to your inner voice. I've come out spontaneously with Old Norse, and have undertaken Galdor spontaneously as well. But this has taken a number of years to materialise. I am sure that as I continue, more will bubble to the surface in blotar smile

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:58 am
I'm sure some basic speech therapy always helps as well. ninja  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:22 am
Sometimes it's a little jarring to have people dressed in tunics, robes, and gowns while they're reading off computer print-outs.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:51 am
TheDisreputableDog
Sometimes it's a little jarring to have people dressed in tunics, robes, and gowns while they're reading off computer print-outs.

...I think I'd find the tunics, robes, and gowns more jarring. wink  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 pm
Deoridhe
TheDisreputableDog

...I think I'd find the tunics, robes, and gowns more jarring. wink
I wouldn't say jarring as much as distracting. heart  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas