Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The Ashes Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will England Win back the Ashes?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
What are these Ashes that you speak of?
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
I prefer Football
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Moomba666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 am
Ahhh yes, its that time of the year again. Scattered showers, terrorist attacks, and yet still the country focuses on one event...The Ashes. An event that has existed for countless years, where we English (and British) rally together to watch our team get hammered by the Australians in the sport we created...Cricket!

We've already lost the first Ashes Test match due to clumsy fielding, woeful batting by our top and middle order, and ineffective bowling in the afternoon on Day 2. However i still believe that England have a good chance.

We have Kevin Pieterson, the best batsman in the team (who is...South African by birth uhhh who cares! He chose to play for England and he has the Three Lions tatooed on his arm) and our bowlers have proven they can take Aussie wickets.

This thread is designed to analyse our chances at winning back the Ashes Trophy aswell as discussing Cricket as a sport.

Come On England! Come on The Barmy Army! smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:58 am
I think they have a fair way to go in terms of team spirit and functionality, however they could win if they produced more vigor in the rear flank, comprising of mainly strong fielders etc. They could make a fair amount of ground if they employed this technique.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:03 am
I'd like to think we can, but I don't think we will. We've a better chance than we've had for a long time but the sport in this country is too crippled by the poor teaching of it in schools.

We need to correct the root of the problem before we can expect to lead the world at the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:08 am
Invictus_88
I'd like to think we can, but I don't think we will. We've a better chance than we've had for a long time but the sport in this country is too crippled by the poor teaching of it in schools.

We need to correct the root of the problem before we can expect to lead the world at the sport.

Oh, indeed. For example, there could be an auxilliary person to organise strategic organisation to maximise result in the field of cricketing tactics.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:14 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

Oh, indeed. For example, there could be an auxilliary person to organise strategic organisation to maximise result in the field of cricketing tactics.

Not really, the tactics are all fairly predefined and static.

When we need to do is teach the raw skills of fast bowling, fielding and killing the ball. The roundersesque way that the game is taught encourages people to simply blat it out into the green, this gets you caught out.

As well as this there is the bastardisation of the game which is aimed at speeding it up. This detracts from the willingness of batsmen to sit and wait and guard whilst boring the crowd to tears. Kids are taught to hit the ball hard, not to value the fact that while you and a friend are at the bat, your team cannot lose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:18 am
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

Not really, the tactics are all fairly predefined and static.

When we need to do is teach the raw skills of fast bowling, fielding and killing the ball. The roundersesque way that the game is taught encourages people to simply blat it out into the green, this gets you caught out.

As well as this there is the bastardisation of the game which is aimed at speeding it up. This detracts from the willingness of batsmen to sit and wait and guard whilst boring the crowd to tears. Kids are taught to hit the ball hard, not to value the fact that while you and a friend are at the bat, your team cannot lose.

Yes. Think about it. *points*  

Nebelstern
Crew

Moomba666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 am
I agree, teaching of sports needs to improve. Cricket has long been taught well in Private schools, however as these are on the decline, this means State Schools must carry on the job. But they arent doing it very well at all.

Cricket at my school was taught very poorly, and only when i got into the Cricket team did any useful teaching occur. It was treated more like rounders which is sad.
Now with the Twenty20 cricket format we have children seeing Sixes and Fours every over, something i barely saw when i was little. Although Twenty20 does help bring an audience to the sport, it is Test Cricket that is the real sport.

That may have been the problem in the First innings of both teams in the first Match, we saw Australia playing bizarre shots and Englands batsmen looked in too much of a hurry when trying to play Glenn McGrath. The only batsmen to actually show any patience in the game was, ironically, Kevin Pieterson, who had made his fame from playing extravagant shots in the ODI's.

It's a tough balance to achieve, Audience for the game or actual Cricket. Hopefully the 2012 Olympics will bring more money from the Governement into all British sports which we invented in the first place.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:04 am
I've a nasty feeling that the money will go toward curling, volleyball and dance rather than cricket.

Bastards.

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:27 am
Hee hee! I was drunk! And I know nothing of the sport!!! *runs* rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:29 am
*Passes well oiled rifle to invictus*

Fire away sir.  

Moomba666

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 am
Moomba666

Fire away sir.

Hey, hey! I'm a MOD here, and you're just a butler! xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:45 am
And so the Second Test has started. Glenn Mc Grath is injured, which is a huge plus for England. The pitch looks like its perfect for batting, and England have been put into Bat.

I say...Biff it!  

Moomba666

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:56 am
Nebelstern
Moomba666

Fire away sir.

Hey, hey! I'm a MOD here, and you're just a butler! xd

*BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!*

*fusilade of shots spoil Simon's suit*

You're crew, thou shalt not use improper terminology! scream

Also, Australia has chosen to field. England at the bat, 26 for 0 (5.1 overs).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:03 am
407 all out. The batting was so aggressive... They played it like a 50 over game.  

Moomba666

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:17 am
Invictus_88

Actually it's more that lottery funding isn't reaching village clubs to facilitate the youth coming up through the ranks. In my experience anyway.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff