Welcome to Gaia! ::

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Back to Guilds

Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
Hey you. Yeah, you. Come here. EVERYONE IS REQUIRED TO READ. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:23 am
Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, you've noticed the guild has had a lot of revived threads. What's a revived thread? First, I'll explain what a dead topic is. It's any topic that has not received any posts for more than two months. When someone posts in a dead topic, it is brought to the first page of the Guild Forum again, thus resulting in a revived thread. In case you didn't know, topic and thread mean the same thing.

I know many of you are asking, "What's so bad about revived threads?" Well, they're often irrelevent. The reason for the thread no longer being active is: nobody wants to discuss it anymore. There's nothing left to say about it. When a thread is revived, it will receive three or four more responses before becoming inactive again. If the Guild Forum is full of old topics, there will be nothing to discuss. All the good threads are pushed down, where nobody can see them.

If you don't think this is bad, consider this: What if someone revived a "Merry Christmas" topic in March? What if someone revived a thread about Asian athletes at the 2006 Olympics, when it's currently 2007? Wouldn't you be upset with those people? The "no revived threads" rule is there to prevent this.

So, what if you see a good dead topic that you'd like to revive? Well, you can do two things. Usually, you would need to create a new thread about that same subject. We've had two or three "What's your favorite Asian food?" topics before; we don't mind that. Sometimes, it's okay to revive a very popular topic, if it's still discussable. By very popular, I mean a topic that has more than ten pages. Please post something like, "I really enjoyed this topic and I think it can still be discussed." Mods will consider this when locking threads. You should only do this every once in a while. Do not revive too many old threads.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think we should change our policy on revived topics?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:26 am
ooo u think u r all bad bckuz u say dat lol
but it iz tru  

DiSxBxLyoN

Dive Into Yourself

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:27 am
I think this is a good policy. Can I have a cookie? whee  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am
Well, um, I'm still pretty new here, but here's my opinion.

I've always thought reviving threads was fine. Like I said in another thread here, the only time it's bad to revive threads is when there's already a more recent, active thread dealing with the same topic.

It might be true that it will become inactive again, but what's so bad about that? It will just be buried again as new threads are made.

Ok, you make a very good point concerning threads dealing with Christmas, but those are an exception. I guess you can just lock those threads.

Then, you say that one should just make a new thread if he or she wants to discuss a topic that was already dead. I guess this is a good alternative, but if someone finds a dead topic first, I don't think he or she should make a new topic. One should just revive the thread. There could be some important information from the old thread. Maybe some opinion from intelligent members from before were in the old thread. What if those members quit? If the thread was revived, then new members can read the posts of the older members and discuss it further.

MistuhFieryCat

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:32 am
DiSxBxLyoN
ooo u think u r all bad bckuz u say dat lol
but it iz tru

Yes. I'm Henry and I'm bad to the bone. rolleyes

Dive Into Yourself
I think this is a good policy. Can I have a cookie? whee

Chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:09 pm
what the HELL is up with this new layout, and even more the hell, 33 announcements?!?  

djTAKA
Crew

DarkAngelDaisuke

600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Sorry didn't see that rule crying

sorry guys

yeah..but isn't reviving a dead topic better than posting a new one cioncerning absolutely the same exact thing?

and i just kinda found ALL the first ones boring and had to do with stealing some, throwing sometyhing, or another random thing to the avi above yours...

so i wanted to find something useful and more fun to talk about...

but sorry i didnt know reviving dead threads was bad

Lastly i'd like to know if i could post a new thread concerning the same thing as a dead one? bc some of the dead threads are what i wouldve put up if i hadnt seen them earlier...

so i'd lkike an answer if that wouldnt b much

plz and thank you  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:14 pm
I think some of the rules are kind of clashing against each other. If we can't make repeat topics or revive old threads how are we supposed to talk about the topic we want. If there's already a topic and it's old it's just going to get locked for being revived and if we make a new one it gets locked for being a repeat. So I think the best thing for this is to allow one or the other.

Cursed Ronin

Dangerous Hero

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:31 pm
Cursed Ronin
I think some of the rules are kind of clashing against each other. If we can't make repeat topics or revive old threads how are we supposed to talk about the topic we want. If there's already a topic and it's old it's just going to get locked for being revived and if we make a new one it gets locked for being a repeat. So I think the best thing for this is to allow one or the other.

A thread is only considered a repeat if it's created while there is another one just like it that is active. If a thread is dead and you want to make a newer one on the same subject, you are allowed to.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm
djTAKA
what the HELL is up with this new layout, and even more the hell, 33 announcements?!?

Gaia is being stupid The new layout is glitchy sad  

King Henry
Crew

metamonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm
maybe we should start utilizing sub-forums more. ive noticed that the APG has become more of a games guild than a discussion one. because the games take up about half the front page, the discussion threads get pushed down fairly quickly.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:19 pm
What if there are new people to the thread and they search the guild from top to bottom and end up reviving a lot of dead topics? I've seen that happen.  

Michie`s Flips Inc.

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:34 pm
smile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:37 pm
Well, now that you've cleared up why reviving old threads is bothersome, I suppose I agree.  

Laughing Platypus

Isako Narumi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:35 pm
XOXO

User Image
I don't think you should change it now that you have enlightened us why it is even part of the rules. 3nodding

Although, isn't it also part of the rules that we should /not/ repeat topics? Since...you don't need "hundreds of topics on the same thing"?

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff