Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:26 am
First of all, let me emphasize...

This does NOT belong in the BL subforum!

*ahem* Yes, now that I got that little tidbit out of the way, I want to discuss a theory about L's heirs, Mello and Near. I don't want to do it on the Gaia A/M/C forum because there's already way too many Death Note threads. This is a theory of mine I came up with based on the actions of both Mello and Near in the manga, a.k.a. the original written storyline.

Mello and Near both appear to be rivals whom want to out-do one another in hopes of carrying on L's legacy by capturing his murderer, Kira. However, my deductions of their actions lead me to think that the two don't really hate each other even though they are in competition.

My little hunch is that Mello and Near really have a friendship, maybe even a sort of brotherly love between them.

Think about these events in the manga...

Mello's actions:
-Although he had the chance to, he doesn't order his mafia member whom has the notebook to kill Near.

-When they encounter one another, Mello doesn't shoot Near. (It may be because Hal interfered, but if he was really bent on killing Near because he hated him, he would have just shoved her aside)

-Mello gives Near valuable information on Kira. If he really loathed Near, he would have probably just took his picture and left.

-He kidnaps Takada. I know that doesn't seem like it has to do with his rival in any way, but in my eyes, it's like this. Mello did this so Near wouldn't have to, thus keeping him out of danger, but leading to his own end.

Near's Actions:

-Near got a hold of the last photo of Mello in the world which was at the Wammy's house. This shows he didn't want him killed by Kira.

-He also made sure everyone who knew Mello in the past didn't hold on to any photos or information of his real name. (That's a lot of trouble to go through for someone you hate, isn't it?)

-Near prevents his subordinates from killing Mello even though he's being threatened by him.

-In the end, Near admits that he wouldn't have been able to have the evidence against Light if it weren't for Mello. He wouldn't have said such if he really hated Mello, and probably would have taken the credit himself.

Now, what do you think? Is it brotherly or friendly love, or is it hate between L's successors?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:37 pm
I think it's sort of a brotherly love kind of thing; I mean, it's kind of like me and my little sister, only on a bigger scale. I mean, I hate her guts, but I wouldn't want anything really bad to happen to her.
At least, that's my interpretation.  

Cress Sybellos

Nimble Explorer

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:10 pm
DP_Fan14
I think it's sort of a brotherly love kind of thing; I mean, it's kind of like me and my little sister, only on a bigger scale. I mean, I hate her guts, but I wouldn't want anything really bad to happen to her.
At least, that's my interpretation.
Aww... that's a really sweet thing for you to say! XD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:01 am
If she learns that I said that, even on the Internet...  

Cress Sybellos

Nimble Explorer

SCP-511

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:56 pm
I dunno about Near, he seems to regard everyone with the same kind of respect because he cares about all human lives, the same reason why he doesn't want all the criminals killed by Kira.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:19 am
I doubt there's a 'Brotherly Love' in the whole thing between Mello and Near, but maybe a... Mutual Respect.

Ulterior Motives. Perhaps a little game, between them. When they're seen together, they seem to loathe one another.
Alone, they rarely mention the other's name with hatred.

I think the 'hatred' that is shown is mere jealousy, animals try to intimidate possible rivals, but once they are secure in their... 'community/ Pack/ Herd Etc', they show very little signs of continuing the... Intimidation game.

Perhaps it's just that among Near and Mello.

Whatever it was, it does NOT matter anymore, unfortunately.

Ryuzaki - Silence

tieru

Blessed Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:29 pm
nah
I don't think they hated each other.
I just think Mello was jealous as hell because Near was better than him.
= x=);
Didn't seem to me like Near cared so much though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 pm
I would say brotherly love. I wouldn't call their arguments hate, I would just say they are jealous of each other. They both want to be L's successor and they can't stand if they aren't as good as each other. That is why they argue and all, and that is also the reason why they work in separate teams against each other. It is to proove who is a better detective, and who is fit to be L's successor.  

Koishii X

ScottyQuick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:58 pm
I'm leaning towards respect. Near most certainly respected Mello, and Mello grudgingly respected Near.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:20 pm
there is no love what so ever mello hates near and near couldn't care less about mello the only thing near thinks mello is use full for catching Kira  

Ls_heir_near

animefreak225

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:28 pm
I would say brotherly love because they dont hate each other and they help each other out. Plus i think its more of a competitive thing with them not hate.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:25 am
Well..I dunno  

rabbitbutt

Loiterer

13,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Rebuilder 100

Elisabell-angel enraged

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:44 am
I think they hated each other, but grudgingly worked together to catch Kira because L would have wanted them to, and they respected L a lot.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:00 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I've figured out that Near might actually like Mello.  

tieru

Blessed Fairy

The World Within

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:56 am
I don't believe they honestly hate eachother.
For a while I'm sure they lived together, so who knows?
And at the end like you said, Near admits he couldn't have done it without Mello and the kidnapping of Takada.

I don't think Mello kidnapped Takada to get to Kira first. The whole "I have to do it" thing kind of sounds like he knows Near needs help and is willing to give it. So really I think Mello planned ahead [even though Near doubts this, but its a theory, bear with me here] and knew the kidnapping of Takada would be important and in the end risked his life to help Near get Kira.

And I find it hard to believe that Near hates Mello at all.
Like you said, in admiting that Mello's kidnapping of Takada was vital, he admited Mello played a major part in the capture of Kira [which...he did whee ]
And a year later, Near is sitting on the floor, playing with his toys as is his normal thing, but he now has his bars of chocolate with him. In memory and honour of Mellohead? I believe so.

So I dont think they like eachother in some roundabout brotherly way, or even as friends. Mello obviously dislikes Near, but I don't think it's hate. If Mello really hated Near he wouldnt of helped him out in the end. Near never really showed any signs of truely hating Mello, though. As far as I remember Near never really said anything to Mello at Wammy's when Mello said he was leaving...

This is like the longest thing I've ever posted. And I could say more. But that would be annoying..

Everything Death Note

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff