Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Grounding and it's varients Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:54 pm
This sprung from this discussion:

Rookherst[KOS]
Deoridhe
What's spiking?

Gathering a size-able amount of a particular energy and dumping it on someone else to watch them react to it in amusing ways.

Deoridhe
For me, airing and watering have the same effect as grounding, plus an added "purifying" and "balancing" aspect which I find very pleasant. I'm the only person I've met who does this, though. Ground and I ...don't really get along.

mmm....I mean I call the action "grounding" But very little Earth/Ground is actually involved in my processes. I kinda forgo the elements in this regards as a lesser modality and prefer to go strait for the "Good stuff"

I.e: Just pure concentrated Positive energy.

Which has the effect of Purifying, but certainly not balance. I'm damn near "high" after Grounding.

To fill out some basic concepts.

Grounding is one of the pair of "grounding and centering" which is typically recommended before spiritual and magical acts. The purpose is essentially to shift out a certain amount of energy and/or create a link which will drain energy out if an overload occurs - kind of like a psychic surge protector.

The typical method involves connecting with the earth, or ground, thus the term "grounding".

I commented in passing that I tend to "air" or "water" instead of "ground" because of my less-than-earthy nature. It look like Rook "lights" instead of "grounds". whee  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:58 pm
Rookherst[KOS]
Gathering a size-able amount of a particular energy and dumping it on someone else to watch them react to it in amusing ways.

Ooooo, sounds both amusing and dangerous! No, what I do isn't like that. I have several gather points (a stone, a ring, a car) but I don't tend to send the energy out again from them and I've never targeted energy at a person except when doing Reiki.

Rookherst[KOS]
Deoridhe
For me, airing and watering have the same effect as grounding, plus an added "purifying" and "balancing" aspect which I find very pleasant. I'm the only person I've met who does this, though. Ground and I ...don't really get along.

mmm....I mean I call the action "grounding" But very little Earth/Ground is actually involved in my processes. I kinda forgo the elements in this regards as a lesser modality and prefer to go strait for the "Good stuff"

I.e: Just pure concentrated Positive energy.

Which has the effect of Purifying, but certainly not balance. I'm damn near "high" after Grounding.

Well, high can be balanced - I get "high" after I air and "settled" after I water or stone. Makes air flights really fun. ^^

My understanding of grounding is you're supposed to feel more settled afterward, rather than high.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm
When you say you "stone" can you describe that?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:27 pm
TeaDidikai

I find a stone - like last night I "found" amethyst. Mostly it involves imagining it. Then I take my incorporeal self and put it inside of the stone. Then I usually sleep. Al alternate, non-sleeping version is holding a stone and forming a connection with it.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:38 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I find a stone - like last night I "found" amethyst. Mostly it involves imagining it. Then I take my incorporeal self and put it inside of the stone. Then I usually sleep. Al alternate, non-sleeping version is holding a stone and forming a connection with it.

Beats the other kinds of stoning I think of. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:20 pm
Can lack of sleep interfere with the Grounding-Centering-Shielding process? Cause I've been trying that out and when I go to focus my energy it doesn't focus on my first try...usually takes 2 or 3 tries for me to be succesful and focus my energy and the same with the shield. And when I'm finished I feel much more sleepy than I did before I did the process...is it just my lack of experience? or my lack of sleep? (I've been up late lately researching...)  

Saint Of Demons

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:34 pm
Saint Of Demons
Can lack of sleep interfere with the Grounding-Centering-Shielding process? Cause I've been trying that out and when I go to focus my energy it doesn't focus on my first try...usually takes 2 or 3 tries for me to be succesful and focus my energy and the same with the shield. And when I'm finished I feel much more sleepy than I did before I did the process...is it just my lack of experience? or my lack of sleep? (I've been up late lately researching...)

I took to centering and shielding like a fish to water, so I'm not a good judge for that. It does require energy, though, and sleep is always important (though not too much, of course).  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm
Quote:
Deoridhe
Saint Of Demons

I took to centering and shielding like a fish to water, so I'm not a good judge for that. It does require energy, though, and sleep is always important (though not too much, of course).
confused Just so I'm clear I imagine the energy spreading after I center it and it filtering right? and then for the shield (I found a shield made of water came best for me) I just imagine it growing around me right?

Saint Of Demons

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:24 pm
The basic image for sheilding is something surrounding you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Well when I said High, I mean that is the way I appear to others; usually because I just feel damn good. I'm happy, like extremely happy... Usually because the first step for me (rather then center) is to empty myself of negative energy, and then fill my self with a neat little combo of earth and Positive energy.

Mostly Positive.

If anything were to have the effect of leaving me purified, balanced and with a feeling of contentment is when I practice a Ritual I call "The Howling". Similar principle of emptying one self and then filling back up with a different energy.  

Rookherst[KOS]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 am
Interesting enough- my first experience "grounding" was actually a combination of "grounding" and "airing".

It was taught to me by the leader of the OTO Vortex camp and it fit with my cosmology so perfectly I haven't looked back- I mean, a practice that draws both Amari De and o Del into oneself!?

Her shielding didn't work so well for me, but a formal prayer for St Sarah filled in some of the gaps.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:24 pm
My experience in grounding involves a lot of issues with getting halfway there and going "Oh, look, a shiny!" or something similar and totally losing it. At best, my attempt just fizzles and I'm back to where I started, and at worst, I've made myself feel blechy. I haven't really tried the air or water concept, but it's definitely got my interest. I suspect I'm not really all that earthy anyway.  

TatteredAngel

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:52 pm
I don't ground, or promote any other sort of essence bleed.
It can pollute the local geomancy if not done with care and consideration.
As far as induction based balancing... that energy has to come from somewhere, and again, it can adversely affect delicate geomancies.

Now, in a properly controlled and prepared environ, it's just fine... but that is so difficult (read: expensive) for me as to be unpractical on anything more than a seasonal basis.
Other people may have better techniques, but I am limited in both knowledge and training.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:01 am
TatteredAngel
My experience in grounding involves a lot of issues with getting halfway there and going "Oh, look, a shiny!" or something similar and totally losing it. At best, my attempt just fizzles and I'm back to where I started, and at worst, I've made myself feel blechy. I haven't really tried the air or water concept, but it's definitely got my interest. I suspect I'm not really all that earthy anyway.
This is where centering can be very helpful.

My experience says that the "Oh! Shiny!" experience comes from having awareness that isn't where it needs to be.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:07 pm
I don't think I ground, I just center. I've been in rituals where "ground and center" is the first and last order of the day, but mine involves steady breathing and becoming aware of my delineations, and, depending on the ritual, where I can blur them (dotted lines FTW)--not opening a ground line to any element or object.

The only time I've done something like it sounds other people do was a frisbee tournament to keep my energy up for the last game--but I asked Nut, Geb, and Shu before doing it so I don't know if that counts--and I guess I sort of "earth-and-skied." lol  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff