The weather was tumultuous today. The skies were dark, the winds were intense, the seas were angry, and yet Dabadye found himself squinting into the rain as he walked along the edge of the beach where sand met trees. He'd been seeking shelter in his den, his mate somehow asleep through the thunder and wind, when a pale creature had walked into the entrance of his home and stood silently, staring in at them.

He'd sat up quickly and asked the horned creature what it wanted, and all it had done was stare a bit longer before turning to go. It had paused at the mouth of the cave, looked over its shoulder as if waiting for Dabadye to follow it, and then stepped out into the storm. Dabadye had warred with himself internally for a few moments but something about the waterbuck - that's what he'd thought it had been at least - made him want to give chase.

And so here he was, soaked to the bone, following a set of hoofprints and a flash of white that occasionally appeared in the trees. Wherever he was being led, he hoped it was close.

Meanwhile, Junsuina picked his way carefully through the jungle, pausing now and then to assure the lion was following him. He kept a safe distance between himself and the other male, not wanting to be physically caught, because that would not only hurt, but it wouldn't align with what Meishin had asked him to do. He'd been asked to bring the blue lion to her, nothing more, nothing less. Junsuina was very good at having creatures follow him, especially when they were predators, but this lion had a hard time keeping up with him despite being on his home turf. Probably the weather, he thought to himself as he shook his rainbow fringe from his eyes.

Finally his hooves clip-clopped on stone as he reached where the cliffs began, wet rock making his going a bit more slippery. He hopped up a few of the rocky outcroppings to where Meishin waited, somewhat sheltered from the rain thanks to the cliff and some overhanging ledges. She gazed down at him as he dropped to one knee, his head bowing in supplication.

"He is coming," he said, his voice demure and rather monotone. The goddess glanced up and spotted the blue speck among the trees, golden eyes watched as the lion froze. Ah...so he did recognize her.

"Very good," she said, her own voice surprisingly deep and it seemed to reverberate a bit, though if that was natural or just the surrounding rocks making it echo was a mystery. "You may rise." Junsuina did just that and shifted to stand beside the dark lioness, dwarfed by her size despite his own impressive height.

Dabadye, for his part, had just realized who was waiting for him up on the cliffs. A goddess. A literal goddess. No other lion would be that large, nor have horns growing from her head. Gods weren't unknown to the Bahari but he was only familiar with the main four that were worshiped, all of which had something to do with the sea. He'd also never seen a god in person before though he knew from stories they were usually large and had features other lions did not posses. Some even had wings!

Swallowing thickly, Dabadye made his way towards the cliffs, his paws slipping on the wet rocks as he brought himself closer. That odd sensation of something being off overwhelmed him once more, just as it had all those weeks ago on the beach with the dark stranger. It was then that he realized who that stranger had been.

"Come closer, mortal," Meishin said as Dabadye's pace slowed. Her command made the lion quickly hop up the rocky ledges, his whole body trembling a bit as he reached her level. He quickly lowered himself to the ground, belly on the rocks, eyes making contact with her massive paws and the four pale hooves behind her. Junsuina gave a soft snort and shook his head, ridding his fur of more of the rain that had soaked him as well during the journey.

"I- forgive me," Dabadye said weakly. "Have I done something wrong?"

That drew another snort from Junsuina and even Meishin felt a wry smile tug at her lips. She and her familiar both knew she had a rather unpleasant affect on mortals, her presence causing them to feel mild unease, so the fact that this lion was speaking at all was impressive.

"No," Meishin said after a few moments to the relief of Dabadye. Junsuina shifted his weight on his hooves as the wind roared a bit louder, waves crashing into the cliff not far from where they stood. Had it been a sunny day and the waves were this high all three of the creatures on the rocks would have felt the spray from the sea. As it was, the droplets mixed with the rain and went unnoticed.

"Then...then why am I here?"

"Because you believe," Junsuina said after a few moments. "Meishin appreciates those that do."

Dabadye had to raise his gaze at that, looking at the waterbuck first, then the goddess. He swallowed thickly as he met her golden eyes, trying to figure out what it was that he believed in to draw her attention.

"Sorry, I don't think I quite follow," he admitted, his ears drooping a bit at the obvious failure.

"She is the goddess of superstition," Junsuina supplied. "Of which the pride seems to have in droves."

"This is my first time in this area since a pride has inhabited the forest," Meishin said, and in her words Dabadye could feel the age of her. Before the Bahari had been here? That was...a very long time, to say the least. "I was quite pleased to feel how strongly a majority of the pride feels. You were the first I saw that put the practice into action, and therefore you have my thanks."

It was in that moment that Dabadye realized the gravity of the situation he was in. A goddess was thanking him, of all lions! He gaped at her for a few moments before realizing he must look rather foolish and quickly clamped his mouth shut just as a flash of lightning was followed by a boom of thunder. He trembled from the force of it, feeling very small in the presence of the goddess and the waterbuck.

"O-oh...well...uh...you're welcome?" he squeaked out, terrified of the weather and the goddess herself. Superstition? Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Sure, the Bahari had certain beliefs about things - like the mermaid's purse, he realized belatedly - but...what was she here to do, then? Soak in the superstitious behaviors and beliefs? Or cause them to happen? Oh dear...

"You need not worry," Junsuina said, picking up on Dabadye's anxiety. "She is not here to curse you nor your pride. She is simply here to watch and enjoy the presence of your pride and your beliefs."

Meishin nodded slowly, keeping her eyes on Dabadye. It was clear the mortal was uncomfortable, not only from her presence but from the storm, but the fact that he hadn't turned and fled was a promising one.

"I will be in the area for some time," she said, her voice quiet but somehow crystal clear over the storm. "And, should you wish it, I will give you a token of my gratitude. A favor, if you will. You need not think of something now," she added, seeing the blank expression on Dabadye's face. "But if you think of something, I won't be far. Neither will Junsuina." She nodded back to the waterbuck who bowed his head slightly in greeting. "Simply seek us out and we shall find you."

Dabadye couldn't believe what he was hearing. A favor? From a goddess?! What was he going to do with a blessing like that?

"I- ah- er- thank you!" he stammered, bowing his head again. All because he'd had the bad luck of stumbling over a mermaid's purse...perhaps she'd had something to do with it? He shook his head, trying to clear his mind. "I...I'll think about it. And- and if I haven't thought of anything before you decide to leave, then. Then um. That's fine."

Meishin thought about that for a few moments before glancing at Junsuina. The waterbuck nodded and stepped forward, reaching with his teeth for Meishin's knee. He carefully plucked a scale from the goddess and moved forward, offering it to Dabadye. The lion reached out with a paw to let the shiny, hard scale fall onto his pad and, once it was out of his mouth, Junsuina spoke.

"Keep this safe," he urged. "Should you wish to speak to Meishin, simply hold it and I will come to lead you to her."

Dabadye stared down at the scale with wonder, his eyes bright despite the darkness of the sky. "I'll keep it safe," he promised, looking up at the pair again. "Thank you."

Meishin nodded her head slowly before glancing up at the sky. The clouds were only getting thicker and more intense and although she had no trouble with the storm, she knew Dabadye would struggle to get down the cliff if it got much worse.

"Go home, then," she said. "We will meet again when you have considered your favor." Dabadye nodded and after a few more bows and thank yous he turned to make his precarious way back down the cliff, the precious scale between his teeth. Once he reached the sand he turned to look up at the goddess and her familiar once more, but they were both gone.

"...no one is going to believe me," he groaned around his delicate prize before trotting into the jungle to try to avoid some of the wind on his way back to his den.

WC: 1659