It took a few days before Dabadye got the courage up to go back to the beach and hunt for more of the seaweed he was low on. This time there were no dark strangers on the cliffs and there'd been plenty of the specific plant he'd been looking for which allowed him to make a lot more of the healing rub that was always in need in the pride, whether it was a hunt gone wrong or a builder who scraped their leg on a log. The blue male's relief was palpable as he made his way through the jungle, a makeshift basket between his teeth and a grin on his face.

"Hello!" he called out as he reached the den he'd been heading for, poking into the entrance a bit before setting the basket down so he could speak more clearly. "I've brought more of the healing rub for you!"

From within the den something moved and a few moments later a lioness stepped into the light. She glanced over the contents of the basket with a little smile on her face and she gave a nod of approval after a moment.

"Well done," Celerieth said as she lifted a paw to nudge the various hollowed out coconut shells that housed the rub. "I was just about out. It certainly did take a while for you to replenish the supply." She glanced up with a curious look on her face, her tone interested rather than accusatory. Dabadye was one of her reliable Hlare and it was rare for him to let his supplies drop so low.

The statement - or rather, question in disguise - made Dabadye laugh weakly as he sat down before the lioness. "Yeah...funny story, actually. I would have had more a few days ago but...uh." He trailed off, unsure if she'd believe him if he told her what had happened. Celerieth was a fairly new member of the pride and while she had taken to living here like a fish to water - pun intended - some of the deeper beliefs and superstitions of the pride were often scoffed at or misunderstood by those who weren't born here. The expectant look on her face spurred him onward, though, and he sighed as he dropped his head down.

"I was out collecting the seaweed I need for the base of the rub and...IwasbeingwatchedbyastrangerandfoundamermaidpurseonthebeachsoIgotscaredandleft."

"...pardon?"

Dabadye winced and glanced up from under his curly mane to see Celerieth observing him with an absolutely confused look on her face. Right...deep breath in, deep breath out.

"I was collecting the seaweed I need," he began again, pausing to make sure Celerieth understood. She nodded and motioned for him to continue. "And when I was on the beach there was...a stranger. By the cliffs. I couldn't tell if they were part of the pride, but I could see they were a dark color...it was hard to tell if they were black or brown or what because of the lighting, but before you came we had that group of dark lions that attacked the pride..."

Celerieth nodded in understanding, having heard the story a few times by now. She'd also had the whole thing explained to her by Auberon and she felt like she might know more about what had truly happened than some of those that had been here before her. Still, she didn't let it show on her face, keeping her cards close to her chest.

"That must have been frightening," she said softly, sympathetically. Dabadye nodded and pressed on.

"Right after I realized they were watching me, a mermaid's purse washed up right behind me on the beach. It's...a bad omen, usually. For the future. So that, combined with the stranger...well. I was all out of sorts. I got the mermaid's purse back into the water and when I got back to the beach the stranger had gone, but I decided that was enough searching for the night and went home. And then the past few days...I just...I haven't had the heart to go back."

Celerieth gave a soft hum of understanding though she didn't quite see why the mermaid's purse had been so upsetting to him. One of the many things she'd learn with time, she was sure. A stranger watching her would have been enough to put her off her hunt, so to have two rather uncomfortable things happen at once was more than a good enough reason for Dabadye to be a bit late with his delivery.

"Well, I'm glad you were unharmed during the whole ordeal," she said, trying to lift Dabadye's spirits. "And you did succeed in finding more of the seaweed, and the rub you've brought will last for quite some time so all isn't lost." Leaning in, she gave his shoulder a little shove with her paw to bring the smile back to his face. Dabadye wasn't known for being down in the dumps or worried and she didn't want to see him leave without a grin.

"Yeah, I guess," he hummed, looking a bit better now that he knew Celerieth wasn't upset with him for being late. "I did tell the guards about the stranger. They said they haven't found anyone like that, but they're on the lookout. I just hope it's nothing serious...maybe a stranger that found a way around the cliffs from the rogue lands and didn't realize they'd be in a pride's territory."

"Yes, that sounds like a feasible answer," Celerieth agreed, although she knew just how treacherous it was around the base of that cliff. "Well, I'm thankful you managed to bring me so much, Dabadye. I'll let you know when I start to run low again."

"Ah, great. Thanks," the male said as he stood once more, looking a bit more chipper than he had minutes ago. "Let me know if there's anything else you need, too. I know you've got others making things as well but I can do more than just healing rubs."

Celerieth gave a little laugh as Dabadye sauntered off and watched him go before letting her expression fall. That stranger sounded odd, to say the least. She'd definitely need to let Auberon know the next time they crossed paths. Taking the little basket between her teeth, Celerieth headed back into her den to restock her supplies.

WC: 1053