Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm
The_Muffin_Puppy

With her bestest half distracted, Careese turned towards the occurance as her ears drew warm with their words. ~A gold... In the north? WITH EGGS!?~ She stared dumbfounded at the exchange, one arm on her hip while the other trailed through her hair. Was that a good sign, or-

She felt a weight on her arm and looked up at her big bronze, his bulky head lain delicately on the flat of her arm, and getting heavier by the moment. ~Pretty girlie bring little babs?~ Careese stared at him for a moment before her brow tilted. "I don't think I'll ever understan' 'ow you speak sometime, big boy." ~Excitement for little candidates! Lotsa eggies comin'!~ She stared at him for a moment, long enough for his 'weight' to grow strong enough to push her to the ground, where he curled around her and churred pleasantly. ~Pretty hide to chase, too.~ "I... wouldn't be so sure, bud. We'll see."  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:31 pm
D'lana and Liarth

"A clutch?" D'lana was a consummate political born and raised but even she couldn't help the exclamation of surprise. An ailing rider,old supporters who knew their time was limited in any case - Shards! It made complete sense but she still found herself at a loss for words. Even if some of the clutch perished -
who could say how many might? - a handful of greens in these early turns of their efforts would make a huge difference to their prospects of repopulating all the northern weyrs before the Thread returned.

After a few moments D'lana's wide eyes stare gave way to a beaming smile and she shook her head slowly. "J'hm I scarcely know what to say, I can't imagine this was done with the blessing of Julith and M'rio's seniors?" The south too was preparing for the new Pass, every clutch was precious especially with the flow of new settlers who didn't believe the northern weyrs would pull through for them. How could she take all of this in?

"How long since she clutched?" asked W'dol, ever pragmatic. "As D'lana says we're shocked and honoured by this risk you've taken - we're more than ready to respond."

" Yes, " D'lana picked up smoothly, "a dozen greens would be a great blessing, and we have plenty of candidates at present as two of our second generation greens rose recently... This almost sounds too good to be true, J'hm." Was there a catch?  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 pm
Melomar

"Right," V' agreed with a grunt and then,like D'io, she strode onward.

She strode onward just in time to hear what the old man was bringing to them with her own ears.

Far too good to be true, Lithustoth said on behalf of herself and her rider. They can't just be... Can they? What would she do if she was in that gold's position?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:25 pm
Candidate Chellemana

Chelle was fairly stunned by Nas'an's sudden control of the situation. It looked like it had never occured to her that crying might get through that overstuffed tunnelsnake's tough hide, and certainly not on purpose. She just wasn't the sort to cry. But it worked. Chellemana would certainly advise her to learn to use those tears in the future, a sentiment they shared with Careese.

Speaking of Careese, she and her Bronze were another strange pair. They watched the dragon's antics, and the rider's attempt to control him, with a grin. "Right. I'll get on that."

Chelle had no intention of going back inside, though. Instead they eased in to the crowd of Lower Caverns staff. Once there, they heard the news of the clutched Gold at Igen. Igen! Would they send Candidates there? Would coming back to Fort be an option if they Impressed at Igen?

Ruhane Chiisai
Mention of Careese

D'io and Amaryssoth

A Queen at Igen! With a male rider! D'io almost let out a whoop! He kept his composure, however, for now.

No, there's a catch. There has to be. We just have to find it before it's too late to act. D'io sent to V' by way of their dragons.

"How are we expected to get our candidates out there if your group is from the South? We can't very well expose them with our dragons."

The_Muffin_Puppy
For J'hm
TawnyAngel
For D'lana

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 am
J'hm returned D'lana's smile, giving a shrug to her question. "I've always thought it was better to ask forgiveness than permission. There wasn't a guarantee Julith would rise anyway, and I reckon you've got more to gain from this clutch." Southern would have gotten twnety-six fighting dragons, if all had survived to adulthood, which was no guarantee. The North had so much more at stake in those 26 eggs. The South had more than twenty healthy golds, they could stand to lose one clutch.

"S'been two sevendays," the rider replied, looking to W'dol. "We stayed put as long as possible, but the eggs are ready for touching. We're ready when you are." Keeping Julith away had been important, but the youngsters would be exposed eventually. They'd given them the best fighting chance they were able to. D'io's question was answered with an understanding, soft, smile. "All of us that came over knew what we were getting ourselves into. It's been hard enough avoiding all of you in the month we've been here. Once me and Foreyath head back they'll already have been exposed. We've agreed that it's best just to get on with it now the eggs are old enough." Behind the old rider, his blue gave a deep rumble of agreement.

TawnyAngel

Melomar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:18 am
D'lana and Liarth

Twenty six eggs ready to be touched. Could it really be true? If it was a lie, some sort of trap, it was a fardling stupid one and so D'lana was inclined to believe that J'hm was telling the truth. She still struggled to take it in. They would have to send the search dragons out again to ensure that there were enough candidates for the upcoming green clutches, and of course some candidates might be resistant to the idea of standing for Julith's clutch as there was no guarantee of immunity....

But those were problems to deal with in the coming hours and days; for this moment in time D'lana stepped forward, took J'hm's bony hands in her own and squeezed them in a gesture of silent thanks and joy.

"Julith will have her candidates, we will organise a party of them as soon as it suits her. I would like to meet with M'rio beforehand though, to pass on my personal thanks - perhaps you would like to accompany me D'io?" To give thanks, to double check that they weren't sending their candidates into a feline's den, it never hurt to be cautious. "Will you come inside and take refreshments with us before you return J'hm? And Foreyath," she smiled at the old blue, "do you need to feed? Our herds are at your disposal."

"Absolutely, I will remain here and start making arrangements with our candidatemaster," W'dol continued smoothly with a slight incline of his head.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:25 am
D'io frowned slightly as he processed all of this. Like D'lana he came to the conclusion that it was more likely the truth than a lie because it was so far-fetched. There were riders at Igen who were waiting for them. Waiting for their Candidates. And those Candidates would have to be tough as nails because it was almost guaranteed that their hatchlings would die if they became sickened by the plague.

"I would love to meet M'rio and Julith as well. We," he indicated V' as well, "can be ready in short order." Yes, and it would be the best course of action to check things out before sending Candidates or anyone else along.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 am
Melomar
D'io.

V' and Lithustoth

They'd just got invited along on an important diplomatic meeting, or at the very least it both looked and sounded important.

Before anything else could be said V' crossed her arms over her chest in a manner that would have emphasised her biceps if she hadn't been wearing her jacket and nodded as she confirmed; "Always ready."

In the back of her mind she felt Lithustoth's vindication, tailing one of the weyrseconds had definitely been a good move. Sitting up a little taller the green rumbled her own agreement, she was more than ready to go now if they weren't going to do the refreshments thing.  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm
A tender smile was on J'hm's face as he squeezed the young woman's hands in return. There wasn't need to explain the gesture. This was what people, what riders, were supposed to do. Come through for each other. Help one another.

"The sooner the better was what they said as I left." More time for touching, which usually led to more peaceful hatchings. "Foreyath'll send word back now and ask Julith if they're ready. Reckon they're all on tenderhooks back there anyway." Foreyath lifted his head, looking to the East, in the rough direction of Igen. The old blue looked back when D'lana spoke his name, letting out an excited warble and looking towards J'hm with large, pleading, eyes.

"Aye, you great mess, we'll stay." The old rider waved the dragon off as he purred happily. "We'd be honoured. You'll have to forgive 'im. Not got much left in the way of teeth, and says wild caught stuff's got too much bone to it." As if to demonstrate, Foreyath's mouth dropped open, revealing the telltale worn damage caused for dragons from a lifetime of firestone chewing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 am
"In that case we'll make a group of candidates ready to be with you tomorrow evening, Igen time," W'dol's smile was more restrained than D'lana's but no less genuine.

"Excellent, then let's go inside into the warm and let Foreyath choose his meal." D'lana turned then to the waiting crowd, and though her rather diminutive height meant that she wouldn't be visible to many people she projected her voice well. "A rest day for all riders and candidates, I hope some of you will join us in the dininghall for impromptu celebrations; to M'rio, Julith, and all of their brave companions! Tomorrow the first group of candidates will fly to Igen to meet Julith's clutch!"  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:52 pm
Lunathor

"What?" The colour had drained from Lunathor's face and he stood stock still, eyes wide and hands clenched tight by his sides as he stared across at the unfolding scene. "They came here... They came from the South. They came with an unborn clutch. What were they thinking?" Some of those eggs might never hatch. Some of the weyrlings who did hatch could die. Malsalth's surviving children had seemed to be immune, and so did her children's children, but these would not be - would they? Would being born to a healthy mother protect them somehow? But Malsalth had been sick, not healthy, and many of her eggs hadn't hatched but those who had hadn't ever shown signs of illness but- But it might? He didn't know, didn't know anything, but he felt - he felt panic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:19 pm
M'li of Green Starelth
Starelth shifted her position and tilted her head. The rider says the gold’s rider isn’t well. This might be her last clutch, the green added to her rider. It probably will be now that she’s here in the north. M’li thought sadly.

He says there is 26 eggs mine! Maybe a dozen greens. M’li raised her eyebrow. That would certainly add to their numbers. Not bad. But how many will survive? Even if only a couple lived….. but what about the riders of those who didn’t? It would be a tragedy.

The green was continuing to keep track of the conversation. They say it is time for the Touching. M’li was surprised. They’d been here that long? That was impressive. The candidates would certainly be excited. Three clutches!

L'yan of Bronze Washawath
Washawath laid down at the entrance and rested his head on his feet. Do you think they will let the candidates go? Not sure. It doesn’t really concern me or you.

Candidate Turanves

Turanves glanced over his shoulder at his younger brother. "I doubt we have any resources they could want." He watched as Lunathor sent his firelizard in instead. That was a brilliant idea. Huxali gave a happy chirp as he flitted off. "Good idea." He grinned at the other candidate then looked toward the gathering around the blue and his rider.

He was surprised when Lunathor spoke again. "The south? Maybe he was hiding somewhere in the north? Who would be stupid enough to risk his dragon?" So many questions he wanted answered.

Huxali did his job well. Turanves couldn’t believe his ears. “A gold clutch?!” Visions of gold laid bronzes danced in his head. He was excited to say the least.

TawnyAngel
Lunathor

Thaliawen
Tordare

F'ked of Blue Lerenth
They have a gold with 26 eggs, the blue informed his rider. It was probably spreading around the weyr like wildfire. Soon the candidates would know. “Hmmmmm,” was the quiet reply. Would there be a gold among those eggs? Would the queen survive if there was? Had the plague vanished? A dragon hadn’t died from the plague in some time now.

Was this their chance? What about the clutching greens? Would they be forced to chew firestone or be allowed to clutch just to help repopulate?  

magnadearel

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 am
Candidate Sonulobai
Candidate Chellemana

"Are you going?"

It was unexpected. They glanced around until they saw a fellow candidate looking at them. The voice directed at Chellemana came form a young man they were not well acquainted with. Nevertheless, they recognized him. "Ah. I don't know. It seems risky. Do we have a choice?"

"I don't know." Sonulobai frowned and shook his head. "I mean, probably not. But we may not Impress, that's always a possibility."

They had both been through hatchings, so they knew what it was like to be left on the Sands. Maybe this time would feel better about it because the eggs had such a low likelihood of reaching adulthood.

"Are you going to the feast?" Chelle asked him. It seemed polite to do so.

"Probably. Though I'll probably sit in the back somewhere," he replied with a small smirk. He was not known for standing out. The fact that he was even recognized was surprising to him.

"Hm..." Chelle snickered. "My brother and sister won't let me sit in the back."

(( Note: These two are NOT in the barracks. They are in the Bowl. ))  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm
Candidate Tollar

When you're raised to hunt sneaky, quick little beasts, you often take on some of their habits, so it perhaps wasn't unusual to see Tollar in the candidate barracks listening to the conversation. He was wrapped around a corner, one ear turned towards the conversation while his eyes danced over the others in the room, gleaning the excitement as it began a wave across the room. Surely conversation would soon be much and easy to hear, but for now... Something about a clutch. A sizeable one!

'Are we going? ... Do we have a choice?' ... Do you want one? He didn't dare speak alloud, but his eyes did focus on the pair and tilt at odd angles as if to pose the question. Well, he was going. He'd been searched for a dragon, and that guy'd had a lovely connection with his dragon. That had to be an amazing feeling, even if it was going to be a short-lived one. Choice be shelled, he was going!  

Ruhane Chiisai

Clockwork Rodent

21,850 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Magical Gems 500

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 pm
Lunathor

When Turanves exclaimed, seemingly excited, Lunathor whipped around to stare at him but before he could open his mouth to say- what? To ask if he'd lost his mind? Another candidate spoke up, and then Chellemana. As the pair of them batted thoughts back and fore Lunathor's jaw slowly tensed, and his hands clenched into fists so tight that the tendons showed clearly.

"Wild runners couldn't drag me there," he hissed emphatically, his voice shaking with shock and a building anger. "How could he do that to his dragon's hatchlings? If they tell me I have to Stand I'll-" What? Weyrlife was all he knew but he knew there was no way on this world or in the depths of between that he was going to Igen. That certainty didn't give him an end to his sentence though and so he found himself just rooted to the spot, nails digging into his palms and heart pounding so hard he could hear the blood rushing in his ears.

Alerted by his human's sudden distress Rukbat appeared with a tiny roar and landed on Lunathor's shoulders with his eyes blazing, his wings flared, and his head pointed towards the stranger who seemed to have caused the upset.  
Event Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff