The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:22 pm
All things must come to an end eventually. Even cranky old ladies’ time hitting people in the shins and terrifying young people. At the age of 67 it has been decided by the higher-ups that the time has come for Sh’shi to retire from her position as Weyrling-Master. The brownrider will remain as the Weyrlingmaster for the Bastion class as they have already finished actively taught Weyrlinghood. This means that a new Weyrlingmaster must be appointed for the teaching of the Force of Nature and Colour classes, as well as any future clutches. The candidate will have to have experience working with weyrlings but may hail from any Weyr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:23 pm
Entry Rules
- Filling out the entire form will improve your chances of winning.
- You may enter multiple times.
- Unsuccessful applicants may be made into Weyrlingmaster Assistants and wave the usual ranking character creation requirements.
- The winner will be expected to be active. A period of 3 months without staff contact will result in the character being ICly terminated and replaced.
- The winning application will receive a fully custom dragon.
- Any entered characters will still have to post and be reviewed in character applications before playing.
- Entrants will be accepted until 1st August 2019

Character Rules
- Rider must be at minimum 35 turns old
- Be ICly suitable for the role
- Must have some experience as Weyrlingmaster or Weyrlingmaster Assistant
- Be willing and eager to take the role
- Can be an existing character if they fit the criteria  

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:25 pm
Application Form

Character Name:
Character Age:
Appearance:
Personality:
History:

Dragon Name:
Dragon Age:
Dragon appearance:
Dragon Personality:

--------------------------

[i]Character Prompts[/i]

[b]A pair has failed to reappear during [i]between[/i] training. These events aren’t uncommon in training weyrlings. How do you respond?[/b]

[b]Rumours are circulating that one of the weyrlings is engaged in a physical relationship with a rider. How do you respond?[/b]

[b]A dragon that mauled several candidates and their rider are becoming more and more isolated from their class. How do you respond?[/b]

[b]What made you want to be Weyrlingmaster?[/b]

[b]What makes you suitable to be Weyrlingmaster?[/b]

[b]How do you feel about the clutching greens and how they change your role?[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:18 pm
Character Name: R'ulfr
Character Age: 42
Appearance: R'ulfr is nothing short of striking in appearance, but it is not through flashiness or social and political exploits. A tall and sturdy rider, he has a strong but quiet disposition that is apparent in his stance. He wears the High Reaches blue with pride, trimmed in lined brown leather and heavy black fabrics and regional knits. Wool and furs come from llamas or traded from his own family's stock.

His naturally dark skin is deeply creased at the corners of his light-brown eyes, which are more used to squinting in harsh mountain weather than widening in the warmth of the Weyr. Long, pony-tailed tawny hair is streaked with shocks of white, possibly more so from making close calls than his age alone has otherwise earned. Yes, the beard is braided, and no, he will not part with it unless ordered to do so.

Personality: Loyal to the Weyr in general if not to specific riders, he has proven himself time and again as a dependable wingrider. What happens in the air does not relate directly to what happens on the ground, however. He does not get chummy with his wingmates unless personality on the ground has earned this kind of behavior. Likewise, just because a flight is happening does not mean he cannot choose a partner. Any weyrmate he may have at the time gets his attentions alone. These traits have understandably caused some rifts with other riders over the Turns.

Positive Trait List: Logical, Thorough, Practical, Punctual, Loyal, Integrous.
Negative Trait List: Too quiet about his feelings and opinions but also shares too honestly, tactless; Married to his work; Traditional to the point of hidebound
Myers-Briggs: ISTJ, Protectors: Examiner

History: Rathoulfer and his first love Garmeyla grew up together, having come from the same small Hold in the mountains around Fort. It was, and continues to be, a multi-family and many-generational effort. It is one of several Holds in the region specializing in sturdy pack llamas that produce silky, high-quality wool. The herds need minimal shepherding but the life is hard: the weather is unpredictable, the terrain treacherous. Only the strongest beasts and humans survive for long, and some among his family can be counted among the lost, including his father, two siblings, and a number of cousins. Garmeyla's family suffers similar numbers, and she spent much of her time as a child huddled up with Rathoulfer and his siblings when everybody was very young.

His family also known for dragonriders who knew how to either take orders or rise quickly in the ranks. It had its own dangers, to say the least. Having Impressed a blue, Rathoulfer, now R'ulfr, set aside any ambition he may have possessed, though politics and ranks never interested him as much as his craft. Blue came almost as a relief. Then, with visions of making harrowing rescues in the snow and ice, even these fantasies of being a Searchrider were dashed when Isbranth's aptitudes fell short. It was a rough beginning, but he still felt immense pride as a dragonrider and put his all into being the best he --and Isbranth-- could be.

R'ulfr thought that someday Weyr life would prove to be stable enough to start a family. It was a hold-born wish, perhaps. After he had graduated his classes therefore, R'ulfr was young enough to believe that he and Garmeyla could "make it work." Over the Turns they had several children together, including one daughter and three sons: Raumaney, Ronilthou, Rothgar, and Raunilguo, respectively. But they were born spaced apart because their parents spent much time apart. Eventually both parents realized that their lives and personalities had grown too different from when they were children. This was perhaps the biggest let-down yet, and he had trouble accepting the truth. But like the other unavoidable disappointments in his life, he pressed on and made the best of it. So their kids, including Rothgar, enjoyed both the life of a Weyrbrat and a shepherd-brat. Rothgar enjoyed the quirky llamas at home, reminding Garmeyla of his father, but as he grew older yearned for a dragon and the life of a rider.

Eventually Garmeyla did more than distance herself, connecting with a BeastCrafter whose work schedule was hectic but aligned with hers and most importantly always present in the Hold. They had a daughter together, Gamlee. It was perhaps the birth of her daughter that made R'ulfr finally give up on her. He had a daughter about a year later when he tried to start a family with a lower caverns woman named Monalie, but her promiscuity was too painful for him to endure. What he did not leave behind was his tie with their daughter Ronalthie, and she, like other half-siblings, enjoyed life a little differently than her other Weyrbred peers.

Though R'ulfr has three sons and two daughters that he knows of; one or two others may exist from his time as a "brat," but within a Weyr it is not always possible to be certain. One thing that is mostly true, is R'ulfr's loyalty to one mate at a time. Of the ones he knows, his children were always sired with his weyrmate at that time, or a good friend usually conceived as a result of a mating flight. He enjoys a fairly close relationship with his kids, all things considered, and as far as he knows they are all proud to know their father well.

He believed the stories about returning thread and has trained extensively most of his life. He has mentally prepared for it. Each of his rider offspring take it equally seriously, though he does worry about other perils with them. R'thou was badly burned across the face by another's dragon, but he healed well. Rothgar has been studying as a BeastCrafter with the Weyr's herd and was recently officially Searched. And his youngest rider offspring, R'guo, the one he worries about the most, is doing well in their first adult dragon wing. If Rothgar Impresses too, will he enjoy similar good fortune? He is so reckless, angering a watch-Wher that one time and suffering claws to the face.

Every year on his mother's Nameday R'ulfr brings a tiered basket of steaming-hot bubbly and meat pies. Sometimes some of the kids can make it over and even Garmeyla and her mate have made appearances as well. He has brought his youngest daughter, Ronalthie, on occasion, and she seems to get along well with Garmeyla's daughter Gamlee. And they all can have a nice lunch together by the fire, catching up on life and how the children have grown. Even though it may be for just a short afternoon, this togetherness seems to make the matriarch quite joyous and content no matter how loud the wind howls outside.

Dragon Name: Isbranth
Dragon Age: 24
Dragon appearance: Isbranth is a collection of desaturated blues. Medium-blue predominates his upper head, neck, body and tail, corresponding underparts in pale powder-blue. Sails are the same pale blue, with medium-blue wing arms and tines. Along the wing edges are medium-blue "torn" markings that run parallel to the tine. His spine ridges are desaturated as well, but in dark-blue. The markings of his face are a bit more complicated. The bridge of his nose is medium-blue, the muzzle and cheeks pale. Around his eyes, the brow up to his head-knobs pale, separated from the rest with a medium-blue curly-cue that touches the corner of his eye.

Dragon Personality: Subtly elegant and frosty coloring aside, Isbranth is a nervous creature. He avoids conflict with other dragons and humans if at all possible. Mating flights involving a green are of course one of the few exceptions. He takes orders without question, but sometimes his anxiety, which R'ulfr has actually managed to curb over time, prevents stellar performance. For example, his shallower breathing must be mitigated with special breathing exercises; with his deep chest (for a blue) as a counter-balance, he is only of average stamina for a blue of his size. And his training as a search dragon was short-lived and nearly disastrous, as his empathic gift lead him to sense too many "possible candidates."

Positive Trait List: Peacemaker, Dutiful, Empathic
Negative Trait List: Cowardly, Nervous, Lazy

--------------------------

Character Prompts

A pair has failed to reappear during between training. These events aren’t uncommon in training weyrlings. How do you respond?
Have the dragons been keening? If not, a search party must be organized promptly. Contact with the dragon should be made, if possible to aid in their rescue. If the dragons have mourned, however, the students must be reached out to, their fears and grief addressed. A mind healer will help some of them. For the others, we will find a solution together. We can talk about it. We can hold a memorial if that will help. We can keep them extra busy. But they really do need a gentle hand with this, otherwise they will be traumatized.

Rumours are circulating that one of the weyrlings is engaged in a physical relationship with a rider. How do you respond?
Naturally I will confront the rider first. They are the adult in this situation, and they are responsible for my student's well-being. If the rumor is true, I believe a trip to the Weyrwoman or Weyrleader is warranted. It is not that I distrust that the rider can stop or delay the relationship, which I do judging by their choices thus far, it is that it is a serious case of misconduct and punishment is necessary.

A dragon that mauled several candidates and their rider are becoming more and more isolated from their class. How do you respond?
All involved, including candidates and the rider, should be carefully followed and worked with to gain their confidence back. I would work with the candidate master and a mind healer to help these kids heal from the trauma. I would also discuss with the rest of the class the incident and how to handle things going forward. It doesn't help to just tell them what to do, they have to understand and agree.

What made you want to be Weyrlingmaster?
I used to be content with being just a wingrider. No special rank or responsibility. It was not because ambition is foreign to me, it was simply because I believed Blueriders do not belong in the higher ranks. But I know now that this was a folly and I contented myself with stagnation. I still do not burn to be a Wingleader or more, but I do wish to be an important part of the Weyr. A Weyrlingmaster is a job I believe I am suited for, not because of the rank but because I enjoy helping others grow.

What makes you suitable to be Weyrlingmaster?
I am a father and care very much for my family. My children, my former weyrmate. I have been integral to their lives. In the case of my weyrmate we are still on friendly terms, there is no animosity, just respect and care. For my children I have been their papa in all stages of life so far, including adulthood. Watching them mature and gain knowledge and understanding has been a great privilege. I believe that the relationship between a Weyrlingmaster and their students is similar to a family. Everyone is there for each other. Everyone grows and learns together until they take flight and become the adults they have burned to become. The Weyrlingmaster, like a parent, is responsible for them and integral to their development. They must be available, respectful, and caring of each and every student, even the most troublesome. I have been this foundational person in the lives of five children and I believe I can be that person for weyrlings as well.

How do you feel about the clutching greens and how they change your role?
They prove that chromatics are just as important and deserving of respect as the metallics. Greens clutching are become Queens, and their riders weyrwomen and -men. Blues can catch a Queen and sire a clutch while they could not have done before. Isbranth siring a clutch would give me immense pride. Overall, it is difficult for me to comprehend or know how to respond. However, this is a very important and delicate matter that must be taken seriously in all areas of Weyr society.  

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 pm
Great entry Melo, R'ulfr is our new Weyrlingmaster! Feel free to play him in the hatching and related event threads and we'll get him officially reviewed asap.  
Event Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games