Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am
Calling All Colorists!

Welcome to the Echoes of Pern Hiring Thread!

This shop has grown and once again, we need some more colorists to help lighten the load! We're looking for staff who are self-starters, can adhere to (sometimes) strict rules, and are team players! We need colorists who are happy to color up firelizards, dragons, whers, and produce fire-lizard breedings from time to time. If you're happy to color Nameday wishes, NPCs, and are ready to help out, we definitely need you.

As a colorist, you don't do much by way of giving out the pets (flit breedings or approval for palette dergs or semi-custom giveaways aside), but you make stockpiles so Uta & Cheri can use them for meta purposes, games, hatchings, etc.

Please be aware this is mostly a freebie position. We don't do much by way of making gold or platinum here, and so it's kind of a labor of love. What you do get are pets to make yourself and friends, and the possibilty of customing into hatchings.

Interested?

Begins: Now
Ends: April 20th @ 1pm PT -- we could possibly push this out if we need more applicants.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:42 am
Rules, Expectations, and Rewards

In Echoes of Pern we're looking for skilled individuals who are wiling to dedicate their time and abilities to the shop. We're looking for people who can be team players, will be drama free, and want to keep the game fun. Before you apply, I do want to let you know of some general rules, expectations, and rewards.

Hiring Rules

• All posted work must be your own.
  • All shop templates belong to Masterharper/Uta and Echoes of Pern. Do not share these templates or use them for your own personal gain.
  • Please do not edit the lines outside of expression edits or scarring and tattered wings, etc. This is primarily an unedited shop, so we don't need to see much by way of editing.
  • This position is colorist only. This means if hired you will be expected to color dragons in a timely fashion. You will not get any say over the actual running of the shop, its game play, the givin away of created pets (there are some exceptions of course) or its plot.
  • If you want to help out with lists, running games, or other miscellaneous activities Uta or Mr Cheri will approach you about it.
  • I repeat, your job is the one we hired you for. Mr Cheri and I are very protective of our shop, and how we do things. Even as a colorist, you don't get to just give out pets you make -- Cheri and I tend to have ideas of when and how we give out pets. You are coloring for the shop, so we can run it as we see fit.
  • You must be able to open folders and .PSD files.
  • You must be able to save files as PNGs and know how to upload files to our Post Image account.
  • You must be able to take criticism and possibly fix or tweak your art or cert when asked by Cheri or Uta.
  • You must be able to get along with people you don't like or are upset with. This is imperative. We don't want personal drama to get in the way of running a smooth and friendly shop. You don't have to like everybody, but you do have to work with the, either as fellow staff members or players.
  • Should we hire a colorist we will give away their designed dragons in some sort of event. Colorists should not plan on keeping them or homing them themselves! They will go to players and will go out in a way Cheri and I decide.
  • Please make sure you have the time to devote to the shop. If you miss deadlines or aren't producing enough work, we will let you go.
  • Please make sure you communicate. If RL gets busy please let Uta know so they don't think you're shirking your duties.

Colorist Expectations

• You must be able to color complex patterns on large templates.
  • You must not be solely dependent on brushes. It's one thing to use them to design dragons but we also want the work to look original and have brushes blend naturally with hand drawn designs.
  • You must be willing to design at minimum five (5) adult dragons a month.
  • You will be required to pick up, or be assigned, clutch dagons. This means designing dragons based on predetermined colors and themes. Clutch dragons have three stages, and all must be completed prior to the Hatching.
  • You will be required to run Firelizard and Wher breeding raffles.
  • You will be required to help pick up Transfer Thread dragons, Starter Pack Dragons (you must make all 3 for an individual player), and Staff/Player Customs as needed.
  • You should be a self starter. While Uta will sometimes have specific tasks she'd like you to work on, you need to be able to keep yourself productive between large scale events and Hatchings. This usually means taking on flit breedings or making future puts of various colors to deposit into our future-pet-thread
  • You will need to run all giveaways by Uta and Cheri. Most dragons are given out in some sort of event and often by us -- so colorists don't often get a say on where or who their freebie dragons go, and we have a right to say no to ideas or suggestions you have. You are being paid to color, not to run the shop, sorry!
  • You must hang around the thread and Discord if possible. Players (and Staff) gets nervous when colorists are nothing more than ghosts. You don't need to RP but hanging in the thread and Discord would be great when possible.
  • You MUST keep shop secrets! This means not telling ANYONE about future clutches, colors of baby dragons, or spilling the beans! A lot of the fun in this shop is surprises, so this means screaming in staff Discord and NOT letting players know until there's a reveal. If anyone is caught spilling staff secrets, you will be fired immediately.

Rewards and Shop Perks
I will be the first to say, don't join if you think you're going to be paid a lot. This shop is probably 99% free. While I usually try to run one paid raffle or some sort of auction or money-making-event to split evenly among all active staff, for the most part, staff do this because they want to color, cert, or help the shop succeed.

What we do pay you in, though, is a primarily drama free setting, with cool players, chill staff, and relatively easy-going and understanding management.
We can also promise a lot of dragons and flits and other pets.

• Colorists are able to custom into future Hatchings provided you're active.
  • Colorists are able to color your own pets as payment, after Uta approval.
  • Colorists are able to color pets for your friends as payment, after Uta approval.
  • Colorists will be given a cut of Shop Event paid bribes, auctions, raffles, etc.
  • Colorists get 100% profit from customs, breedings, and paid flatsales or flaffles.

Honestly, this shop is more of a volunteer gig. If you're here looking for fast ways to get gold or items you might not find as much. We will compensate you primarily through pixel pets and gold/items when we run paid gigs, but we do give out a lot of free pets for people. Like a lot.

Please, please keep that in mind when applying.

Lastly, Uta & Cheri have the right not to hire anyone, no matter the amount of samples we get. If we don't feel someone will be an appropriate fit, we have every right to not hire anyone at all.

Have any questions? PM Uta!

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 am
The Applications

If you're still interested we ask that you fill out this form and post it to this thread. We may not hire everybody, so even if there are applicants that have amazing art ability we may not get to choose everyone. We'll be looking at shop support, colorist skill, and whether or not we think you'll be a good fit with the current staff.

Please fill out the entire form and don't despair if we don't choose you. We may be in touch with you later down the road or open up hiring again later.

For colorists, here are some pro-tips:
1. Color the shadows
2. Color the lines (though black can be used on super dark dragons)
3. Make sure the lines, shadow, and base color are all easily seen.
4. Make interesting and more complex designs and patterns! Don't give us simple. Give us something special! While simple dragons can be designed and given out, we do like dragons that wow mostly for Hatchings and larger Events.

Colorist App
Flying Dragon
Seeking Dragon Template

Please don't use these templates for your own use or outside shop hiring. Please don't share these templates or use them as reference material.
If you tried out in past events, please create NEW pets as we'd like to see if your style has changed. You may hang onto the old pets and tweak them up if you're hired, but please make new samples for this time around.

[size=28][b][color=green]Let's Get Coloring![/color][/b][/size]
[b]Username:[/b]

[b]How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week?[/b]

[b]We use Discord a lot. Will you have problems logging into it regularly? [/b]

[b]Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings?
This means picking up Transfers, Nameday Wishes, Flit Breedings, and just designing dragons for future giveaways, etc.[/b]

[b]Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Mr Cheri or a player were to ask? We tend to critique Hatchlings the hardest, but any pet might be asked for changes, especially early on while you're getting used to how we work![/b]

[b]Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones?[/b]

[b]What photo editor / digital art program do you use?[/b]

[b]We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue?[/b]

[b]Do you understand our Staff Secrecy policy? And that breaking it will result in termination if we find out? [/b]

[b]Are you sure you're okay with being told no by Cheri or Uta? We tend to have firm boundaries, but we also give our staff some wiggle room. We just want our shop run a certain way![/b]

[b]Do you understand and accept we are trying to make a really chill, and drama-free shop? Behavior is important, and if you can't play nice, or keep the chill, this shop won't be a good fit for you[/b]

[b]Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern?[/b]

[b]Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples:[/b] [Use thumbnails or links since the uncerts are large. Remember, we will want to give them away in some fashion if you're hired!]

[b]Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider:[/b] [It is okay if you don't have any.]

[b]Anything else you'd like to add?[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 am
Open!  

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Lunar Mirage

Invisible Phantom

24,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: Lunar Mirage

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? I usually at least poke my head in (try to) every day. For how depends on if I'm working that night, and what I'm doing in my college classes (I do them online)

We use Discord a lot. Will you have problems logging into it regularly? Absolutely not! It's always got me online, cause I'm always checking in on my phone anyways.

Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings?
This means picking up Transfers, Nameday Wishes, Flit Breedings, and just designing dragons for future giveaways, etc.
Sure!

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Mr Cheri or a player were to ask? We tend to critique Hatchlings the hardest, but any pet might be asked for changes, especially early on while you're getting used to how we work! No, of course not. My dragons are perfect! (*shot* I'm SO totally up for critiques, especially since it's been a few years since I picked up my tablet pen sweatdrop I'm sorta outa practice sweatdrop )

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Herds of Azreth (co-owner/colorist there), Pridelands, (owner/colorist), a whole slew of others I can't even think of right now...

What photo editor / digital art program do you use?

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? Photoshop (CS 6)

Do you understand our Staff Secrecy policy? And that breaking it will result in termination if we find out? What secrets? ninja (j/k yes, I do agree and understand heart )

Are you sure you're okay with being told no by Cheri or Uta? We tend to have firm boundaries, but we also give our staff some wiggle room. We just want our shop run a certain way! I am your slave....I do as you command. (Hey, believe me when I say it's actually nice to NOT be owner for once xd )

Do you understand and accept we are trying to make a really chill, and drama-free shop? Behavior is important, and if you can't play nice, or keep the chill, this shop won't be a good fit for you Yep!

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I love the dragons and the people, who could ask for more?

Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples: [Use thumbnails or links since the uncerts are large. Remember, we will want to give them away in some fashion if you're hired!]
User Image User Image User Image

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider: [It is okay if you don't have any.]

Anything else you'd like to add? ducks go quack.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:41 pm
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: faesinger

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? Usually every day

We use Discord a lot. Will you have problems logging into it regularly? I am on every day unless at least to check in once.

This means picking up Transfers, Nameday Wishes, Flit Breedings, and just designing dragons for future giveaways, etc.
Yes. All the gifts for everyone!

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Mr Cheri or a player were to ask? We tend to critique Hatchlings the hardest, but any pet might be asked for changes, especially early on while you're getting used to how we work! Of course.

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Soquili under spelldancer

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Photoshop CC

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? No

Do you understand our Staff Secrecy policy? And that breaking it will result in termination if we find out? Yes

Are you sure you're okay with being told no by Cheri or Uta? We tend to have firm boundaries, but we also give our staff some wiggle room. We just want our shop run a certain way! Please tell me my crazy ideas are crazy. Some one has too.

Do you understand and accept we are trying to make a really chill, and drama-free shop? Behavior is important, and if you can't play nice, or keep the chill, this shop won't be a good fit for you Yes and I love you for it.

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? The community is amazing and I want to see this shop thrive. If I can help free up some time to allow other staffers/Cheri and Uta to get things running Meta wise or otherwise I would be thrilled.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider:

Anything else you'd like to add?  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

MxMischief

Beloved Nymph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:27 pm
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: MxMischief

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? At least 2hrs daily

We use Discord a lot. Will you have problems logging into it regularly? Nope, my discord is signed in 24/7 unless power's out

Yesss!

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Mr Cheri or a player were to ask? We tend to critique Hatchlings the hardest, but any pet might be asked for changes, especially early on while you're getting used to how we work! Yeeep!

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? All closed now; Co-owner/colorist for Aera Lupus Ailus Centum, Colorist for Viam Caelum

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Clip Studio Paint & Procreate on the ipad, Photoshop CS6 on laptop

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? Nope no issue there

Do you understand our Staff Secrecy policy? And that breaking it will result in termination if we find out? Yep

Are you sure you're okay with being told no by Cheri or Uta? We tend to have firm boundaries, but we also give our staff some wiggle room. We just want our shop run a certain way! Yep

Do you understand and accept we are trying to make a really chill, and drama-free shop? Behavior is important, and if you can't play nice, or keep the chill, this shop won't be a good fit for you

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I have entirely too much time on my hands and I'd love to lessen the staff's work load if possible!

Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples: [1][2][3][4][5]

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider: Tumblr art tag! | Personal Pern Dragons - Ikeyath & Houvuth

Anything else you'd like to add? newp newp  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:08 pm
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: Meepfur

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? C-constantly...

We use Discord a lot. Will you have problems logging into it regularly? Nope!

Yes

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Mr Cheri or a player were to ask? We tend to critique Hatchlings the hardest, but any pet might be asked for changes, especially early on while you're getting used to how we work! Yes

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones?
Shadows of Africa, owner/colorist 2005-current
Dragonflight, colorist/some writing 2012-2015 (closed)
several others but over a decade ago (Erras Aviary, owner/colorist; Sinbound, owner/colorist; Siira Sepulchery, owner/colorist; Aiko, colorist; Aerlian Pooka, colorist; Tarot Story, RP manager)

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Adobe Photoshop CS6

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? Nope!

Do you understand our Staff Secrecy policy? And that breaking it will result in termination if we find out? Yes!

Are you sure you're okay with being told no by Cheri or Uta? We tend to have firm boundaries, but we also give our staff some wiggle room. We just want our shop run a certain way! Yes!

Do you understand and accept we are trying to make a really chill, and drama-free shop? Behavior is important, and if you can't play nice, or keep the chill, this shop won't be a good fit for you. Absolutely. <3

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I love it and I really want to help somehow. EoP has given me so, so much.

Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider: current SoA album if you want to browse

Anything else you'd like to add? emotion_bigheart  

Meepfur
Crew

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey guys!

So first and foremost, we want to thank y'all for trying out hiring! We definitely need some new blood in the shop and couldn't be here without individuals interested in coloring for us and volunteering time to keep this place alive, so thank you!

After looking through the entries, we would like to congratulate Meepfur as our new colorist! We think you'll make a solid addition to the shop and thoroughly enjoyed the pets you created. Uta will send you a PM with information and details, as well as invite you to the guild shortly! We may have some critique/clean up for some of the pets you created so we'll get that to you, too! Welcome on board!

As for Faesinger & Mx Mischief we did see some potential in your pets. If the two of you are interested, we wanted to give you a bit of feedback and then let you do a Round 2, so to speak. We feel that maybe with some direction and some tips we could see a few more pieces. You'll have another two weeks to complete Round 2 based on when we give you your individualized feedback.

If you're interested, quote me, and I can give you your assignments and the feedback on what we'd like to see! If you're not interested, that's okay too!

Lunar Mirage, I'm sorry to say but you didn't complete the 5 dragons needed, so your application was unfinished. That said, we understand and appreciate you trying out at all. We'll likely do more hiring down the road in case you're interested!

Meepfur

Mx Mischief

faesinger

MxMischief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Uta

Hello! I would be happy to have some feedback and assignments!  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 pm
faesinger
Uta

Hello! I would be happy to have some feedback and assignments!

Thank you!

Basically, Cheri and I are hoping you can paint us up another 5 dragons by 8:00pm PT May 4th.

• We really liked the bronze with the tribal markings on the tail, neck, and arms. It looked clean and drew the eye. We'd definitely prefer to see more tribal designs, or intricate markings that are solid and clean. Henna, paisley, lace, etc.

xXx

• We'd like to see less brush work and more hand-painted designs, especially given some of our dragons require following some sort of solid theme. I don't know if these were hand painted-markings or brushes, but they looked a touch unfinished especially with two weeks to work on them.

xXx xXx

If I were giving feedback, as I do with all Hatchling designs, I'd say they need something to make them pop, and some overall cleanup i.e. where pale from the stomach and underbelly hits the legs or the shoulders, etc.. If you could rework one of them and either re-color them or add clear designs to them to help round them out, that would be awesome.

• A lot of the dragons look like they either have markings focused on the wings, or parts of the body, but not both. If you could try to make us some pets that have interesting designs that cover the whole of them or look a bit more solid that would be awesome!

• We would like to see more spots, stripes, splotches, swirls, galaxy/stars, etc. Right now a lot of the dragons have abstract patterns or looked like they have random markings painted with no rhyme or reason. It would be nice to see some more complex patterns that are intentionally placed. We definitely get not wanting the dragon to be overly crowded, but not ones that look unfinished, either. :3

We DO allow for simple patterns for Start Packs and other giveaways, so not every dragon you make would need to be like this. But in other cases we require a bit more and that's what we're testing you on right now! We know you can make solid dragons, we just want to see what more you can do if we needed to ask for it. biggrin

Overall, we just feel like we want to see cleaner designs on the pets! Again, these tips aren't meant to harm, or insult, or offend. We just wanted to push your limits a bit and give you some more guidance in what we're hoping to see in Round 2!

Feel free to just post here with your five pets. We'll judge you once all five are posted =or= if the time runs out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm
MxMischief

Just quoting you one more time because I may have goofed quoting you the first time, and don't want this to go unnoticed. heart  

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

MxMischief

Beloved Nymph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:22 am
Uta

I'd love some feedback and assignments ^^ heart  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:06 am
MxMischief

Hey MxMischief!

We would love if we could get an addition 5 dragons from you! They will be due to be posted by 10:00am PT, May 5th! If you get them done sooner, we will judge them as soon as they're completed and posted, so make sure that you're only posting finished entries. :3

• Please watch the line colors on your pets! We would like to see dragons that have line colors that look good against them. One of your pets has blue lines, despite being a green -- either you forgot to color them or you didn't notice. We try not to be super strict when it comes to line colors, the colors should match the pet, and shouldn't be paler than the color it's meant to represent or too dark if it's a paler base color.

• We'd like to see more clearly defined patterns and some more detailed designs. Many of the designs don't look like you had a clear intention of what you wanted to color and that it was just thrown on a bit slap-dash. One of your dragons has splotch markings, but the markings look like a stamp because it doesn't follow the contours of the art or matches perfectly against wingsails and areas that are no where near one another, if it were a 3 dimensional being. This flattens the pet and also makes it look like a brush or hastily done.

• We'd like to see some pets that fit some common and shop-loved themes such as stripes, spots, galaxy/stars, swirls, henna, lace, tribal, etc. Many of the markings on your Round 1 pets have thickly colored markings or the appearance of a brush or stamp. We want to see more detailed markings. Also, please ensure these are hand-painted and not a stamp or brush. We want to see what you can do.

• Some of the coloring looks hastily finished i.e. it's running into areas that weren't meant to have the markings, or the pressure goes from thick to tiny in such a swift time that what was meant to be a smooth is blocky. Slow down a bit when you're coloring. Just take a minute to review your pets before you post them to ensure markings aren't falling outside of their assigned body parts, so to speak. : D

• Please explore more detailed or clean markings similar to the Personal Pern pets you created, that would be great. It's clear you can make sharp and visually interesting markings based on these samples. The blue is very lovely, and the brown has a very nice visually interesting appeal that I feel somehow is missed in the pets you created us.

xXx xXx

• Please make at least one white with appealing markings, but that follows the shop approved colors. While we do allow some faint colors in our whites, they still must follow the traditional Pern colors. Right now the white you created looks very purple and pink, color-wise (at least on my monitor, haha). Whites also don't need color to be shop approved. Pale greys are allowed to be used so as to stand out against the white, but if folks deviate and throw in very faint other colors, they must follow gold, bronze, brown, green, and blue. We have had a few blues that were a touch more purple which were allowed through, but we are trying to tighten up ship. :3

A lot of the dragons you colored would be great to give away with some clean up! But we want to see what you can do when we need pets that are for Hatchings or special giveaways! We don't require those on every dragon created, but that's what we're really testing here! :3

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:25 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
uta

Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces