Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Phrux

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 pm
Name: Morian Adriga
Blood colour: Redblood! #5a0000 █████

Symbol: User Image.

Profile:
Morian is a rebel against death. At a young age his lusus brought him to the hive of a past charge, where he obtained a journal. The journal described the life a good man, forever faithful to his one true love, risking his life for others- and he suffered for it. His love was murdered and the man sought justice. He ended his life battered and broken, crippled and in pain, mourning his lost love.

Morian immediately decided to become absolutely nothing like him.

Reading the journal has given him a phobia of death and aging. As such he has a great goal: to become immortal. He wouldn't mind being invincible as well. To this end he has studied the journal and learned the academical and medicinal formulas his lusus had lead him to behind. He isn't very good at it yet.

Driven by his obsession Morian goes through phases of gregariousness and introverted study, unable to decide whether he wants to experience everything that life can offer him or concentrate on overcoming the limits of his caste.

Morian envies highbloods for their strength and longevity. In addition, he has aspirations to transcend his caste- he sees himself as the equal of any highblood- or at least he WILL be. That's balanced by the logical fear of highbloods power and volatility. He tends to treat midbloods casually, is friendly towards lowbloods, and initially cautious around highbloods, at least until he determines the limits of their patience.

Morian is somewhat afraid of emotional attachments, seeing them as dangerous, but he's a naturally warm and caring person who can't help but form bonds. This leads to a bit of hot and cold, push and pull behavior and he forms friendships and then tries to drive people aware before they become too important to him.

His hobbies are reading and digging. Reading is for knowledge and self-improvement, digging mostly just because. Morian likes the feeling of burying himself into manual labour and not thinking about anything.

Strengths:
Quick Thinking: Morian is both smart and clever, having both book smarts and the ability to judge a situation and think of solutions. He's well read for his age on a variety of subjects, especially on traditional medicine, due to the journal.

Energetic: His fear of death has given Morian a lust for life. He tends to pour himself into whatever he does eagerly. This gives him a certain amount of charisma as well, at least when he's not being eager about something awkward.

Bravado: He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Even when he's doubtful and afraid Morian tries to project an aura of confidence and fearlessness. He knows that oftentimes the best way to prevent a fight is to pretend to be stronger than you are. When things do go wrong, he immediately flips to his flaw though- cowardice.

Flaws:
Cowardly: Morian fears death greatly and tends to avoid risks. He will especially flee battle, only fighting or taking risks to his life if cornered or there's something that he wants more than he fears death. And he fears death a lot.

Impulsive: The flip side to his energetic nature, Morian tends to leap first and look second. He feels it's more honest and true to himself to do and say the first thing to come to mind, even if that's rather unwise.

Curious: Curiousity killed the cat. If there is no immediately obvious danger Morian will often ignore warning signs to investigate something interesting, only to scramble back with all his speed when it blows up in his face.

Weapon: Entrenching tool. A lightweight collapsable shovel that he uses mostly to dig, but it also works to whack people with.

Appearance: User Image Except, of course, younger at the moment. He hasn't grown out his hair as a child- just enough for his bangs to cover his eyes.

Home: Located near Busthind Mountain, Morian lives in a burrow constructed by his lusus. It has a furnished core- Morian tries to scavenge things and build his own furniture, but the majority of it is just a complex winding tunnel system constructed by Moledad and Morian to fulfill both their paranoid need for back-exits and their sincere enjoyment of randomly digging tunnels.

Lusus: Cow-sized Star-nosed Mole. While he does his duties as a lusus, moledad is rather quiet. When he's not hunting for food or expanding the burrow he tends to laze around Morian as Morian does whatever Morian does. Distrusts the open sky- for the first few sweeps of his life Morian never exited the burrows at all, developing a sensitivity to light as a result. Now that he's capable of moving around himself Moledad lets Morian out of the burrow, but tends to be anxious and overprotective.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 am
Hello, hello! And welcome to Hivestuck!

Morian is looking great and most my crits are going to be geared towards Hivestuck canon, since differentiates a bit from Homestuck. That in mind, please don't be afraid if this gets a bit long, as I am by nature a bit of a Blathers.

1) First generation trolls (AKA the whole shop as of this point in time) don't have ancestors. It's a stage that's unlocked later via growth, which could then be referred to from trolls obtained by breedings later down the line. I think if you wanted to give Morian's interest in the alchemical and immortality a starting place, you could certainly say it came from research journals, literature, film, et cetera.

2) To spare everyone from having to kill off their lowblooded characters, all trolls have the potential to live long lives. That said, statistically lowbloods are more likely to get culled just by being lowbloods. (;

3) Powers are obtained through events! Either you can win a fresh baby troll with powers, or they can be unlocked via meta opportunities. I know this year is an exception, being slated for smaller events, but the shop usually hosts one meta event per year, where on average a minimum of three trolls unlock powers. So it's definitely something that could happen a little later!

Okay, moving onto the actual profile itself!

The Salamire Outpost is the main base of operations for the rebels. Welcome to our really cool, hip and happening, absolutely lonely and desolute, stinky, smelly bog home! Ahem. That said, how does he feel about the rebel philosophy in contrast with what he might have heard about the rest of Alternia? This is something I'd be happy to fill you in on over discord if you'd like a little more information.

I really like his push and pull attitude. Morian, be my friend, please. Wait, why are you running?

"Intelligent" is a trait we try to lean away from for strengths, since it has a wide range of meaning and intelligence comes in many different forms. Given your description I might try something like "quick thinking".

Nice job on implementing his cowardice into his other strengths and flaws! I love to see that kind of balance.

THE SHOVEL! <3

My last crit was gonna be for his hive, as Salamire is a swamp so I was worried about the burrowing situation, but I did some research and it all checks out so... That's all I got! Feel free to quote me when you're ready for another review, or ping me on discord if you have any questions!

Phrux

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Green Minuet

Greedy Trickster

seekingCylem
Crew

Ice-Cold Cultist

9,875 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:01 pm
Just a minor world-building point: in Hivestuck we tend to not bring up the lifespans of castes IC if we can help it. Due to the nature of B/C shop RPs, characters end up aging at all different rates. We don't want to get into some kind of continuity snarl down the road, so we just kind of ignore it. That said! Lowbloods living shorter lives by virtue of being the government's cannon fodder is totally legit. Just in general, Morian's conflict between wanting to experience life versus pouring his time and energy into preserving it is excellent. I'd like to hear more about what kinds of things Morian does in his pursuit of improved social/physical limitations.

I'd also like to hear more about how Morian's cowardice interacts with his impulsiveness and curiosity. As-is I would think being cowardly would prevent him from making snap decisions and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. At the same time, Morian's cowardice actually reads as a strength, especially given that he's a redblood who reasonably shouldn't be taking many risks in the first place. I feel like the pieces can all fit together--they just need some rearranging.

Unrelated to the profile, but I noticed in your crit applications you seemed kinda confused about the official Hivestuck art. You're officially able to RP once your character has been accepted and they have official art from amicableAggressor. (As seen in the main thread.) You "buy" the art with event points, or EP, which you get either through participating in events or donations from existing members. The community here is pretty charitable! I recommend joining the guild Discord server if you wanna meet'n'greet.  
Application Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games