Reply ashdown
[PRP] Hiding by the Ocean (Jamie & Kaleb) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:59 pm
Kaleb might have discovered a new favourite place.

When he first arrived in Ashdown he had avoided the beachfront. The end of the summer had given way to fall, but the weather had been nice enough to support all sorts of activity at the ocean. People had been everywhere, and that was enough of a reason for the shy bookworm to avoid the bay.

However, this time of year it was still fairly chilly, and the beach was surprisingly deserted when Kaleb brought his books there after class. He even managed to find a rocky alcove near the water's edge that kept him sheltered from the wind. As he settled in to read that day's assigned chapters in his biology textbook, the only sounds he could hear were the relaxing rhythm of the waves and the distant calls of seabirds. All in all, a perfectly peaceful reading spot.

saedusk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:39 am
If anyone could claim to know all the best nooks and crannies the beachfront had to offer, it was Jamie. He was a lot like Kaleb, not super fond of the large crowds that flocked there in the summertime, even if a majority of them were locals. It was always too much of a conflict mentally and emotionally; he wanted to be noticed, wanted to be something other than invisible, but if anyone looked at him there was an immediate anxiety in the pit of his stomach.

If nothing else, Jamie could say he was getting better about that. With Shiloh's help, with the help of everyone who treated him with the respect any ol' human being deserved, he was adapting.

Didn't mean he'd stopped savoring these moments when the air was crisp and the beach was all but abandoned.

Bundled in his dark grey peacoat, a pale pink scarf hiding his neck, he happened around the side of a rock and into the very same alcove Kaleb had already claimed. It was an unexpected twist of fate that caught Jamie off guard, leaving him momentarily silent, his mind trying to decide whether to lead him somewhere else or say hello.

It didn't register immediately that guy was vaguely familiar.

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 pm
Kaleb also stared for a second, blinking up at the other youth with surprise. But he was at least somewhat quicker to pull up an association. Try as he might, it was hard for Kaleb to ever truly forget that frightening night in the woods, when they all jumped into a giant void. No name came to mind, but he remembered the young man's face all quiet and determined, and trusting.

He hadn't expected anyone to actually find him there, all hidden away as he was. His discovery even brought an unexpected pang of shame, like he had been caught hiding away with his books like the socially inept nerd he was.

"Hi," Kaleb started, still sounding a little surprised, and a little awkward. "You're Shiloh's friend, right?"

saedusk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:38 pm
That he wasn't the first to speak was what eventually brought Jamie back into the present and back into a mindset right for conversation. It was fine, even if he felt a touch bad for intruding. They were past the point of no return now that pleasantries had been made.

"Oh, um, yeah!" he answered a little too enthusiastically, then reigned it in. "We..." he tongue danced around the idea of directly bringing up the whole void episode now that it clicked where they'd met (in the loosest sense of the word). Instead, he shook his head and tried again as he took a step or two closer, "I'm Jamie. Hi," cue a small, timid sort of 'I'm trying, sorry I'm not very good at this' laugh, "Nice to see you..." he trailed off, fishing for a name.

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 pm
The telltale signs of lingering social awkwardness immediately put Kaleb at ease. Even without consciously registering the familiar mannerisms, he recognized them from his own behaviour and was reassured that his own overly shy personality would not be regarded poorly.

"Kaleb, it's nice to meet you, properly this time," he replied, similarly omitting the Halloween episode. All discomfort aside, it was safer to be vague about magical occurrences in this new world. "I'm sorry if I startled you... It's... a really good place for reading here."

He glanced at the biology textbook in his lap, and then the other two books from other courses sitting in the sand next to him. What a way to state the obvious. Kaleb sheepishly pushed his glasses up on the bridge of his nose.

saedusk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:27 pm
"Oh, no, it's no problem," Jamie assured, hands raised and waving in a don't worry about it sort of way. "I just don't usually see a lot of people at the beach this time of year. Or over this way. It... caught me off guard."

There was something to be said for camaraderie in awkwardness. At least that way, even if the conversation wasn't super snappy, no one was expecting a lot, anyway.

"It's great back here," he agreed as he moved to sit on a rock near Kaleb. "For reading and um, well, I like to play games back here and stuff. Especially during the, y'know, busier months."

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 pm
With a shy smile, Kaleb moved a couple of his books to make more room for Jamie to sit nearby, as though there wasn't already enough room for the both of them to take advantage of the quiet alcove.

"I avoided the beach a lot when I got here," he admitted, glancing out over the water. "There were so many people out, and not always the sort you want to run into..." Kaleb didn't specify, but he could clearly remember the type. High school had been fresh in his mind even a whole summer after graduation, with it's cliques and popularity contests, and the unfavourable labels one such as himself tended to attract. He had no desire to risk the attention of Ashdown's 'popular' teens after finally escaping those in the city.

He shifted his glance to look around the sheltered rocky niche, almost seeming to withdraw into himself like a nervous turtle. "But if this is your place I wouldn't want to intrude or anything, quiet places like this can be hard to find..."

saedusk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am
Even implied, Jamie thought he understood to a degree. If nothing else, he and Kaleb would've likely agreed on the whole 'popularity' thing. High school had been an uncomfortable competition for many, but for Jamie it had been a fight to stay under the radar long enough to avoid getting shoved into a locker. It hadn't been fun.

At the same time, he'd met Shiloh there. Senior year had made up for everything else he faced before that.

"Oh, no no, it's not my place," he assured quickly. "I mean, I come here a lot, but it's, um, just a place, y'know? So we could both come here whenever." He scuffed the toe of his shoe into the sand. "It's like you said, quiet places are hard to find, so we should... take advantage of it."

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:38 pm
Kaleb's lopsided smile seemed a little less forced than his usual shy expression. Perhaps it was the mutual appreciation of really nice quiet places, in addition to the willingness to share. Sometimes when people found something they liked they would want to keep it to themselves, and Kaleb was just happy he wouldn't have to give up the little alcove.

"I promise I won't be too loud," he replied, smiling, but still deferring to Jamie's first-to-find seniority.

The freckled teen was quiet for a few seconds, brushing a stray bit of sand off his book as thoughts ran awkwardly through his mind. He kinda wanted to ask about magic, because Jamie had been there on Halloween... But even if he wasn't so nervous when it came to social interaction, magic was now a hard topic to approach without raising any suspicions. It seemed there as more at stake now that just being thought of as a weirdo.

"How have things been, since November?" He asked timidly, now picking at the book's binding, and entirely unable to meet Jamie's eyes.

saedusk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am
That promise, unnecessary as it was, made Jamie smile. Now that they weren't in the middle of an earth-shattering, end of the world experience, he felt confident in what he'd thought about Kaleb during their brief meeting at the edge of the crater. They were pretty set to get along.

Of course, they had more in common than likes or dislikes or even personality. Kaleb was the first to delve into it deeper, albeit vaguely, and Jamie knew it wasn't an easy thing to talk about when you had to worry about people overhearing. Back in the day, when people didn't know magic was really, really real, the worst that would happen was someone thinking you were a little strange.

"Different," he said, testing the word, "Things have been different. Some things are the same, but a lot changed. Sometimes I feel... pretty unsure what to do. I apparently had my life pretty well together, but that... wasn't me, y'know?"

Meaning the 'him' he'd replaced in this world, of course. Everyone he'd spoken to from the void had the same experience, so he guessed it was the same for Kaleb, too.

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:02 pm
Kaleb nodded. "The other me made a friend while I was away... And found a roommate." He pushed up his glasses on his nose, although they immediately slid back down to their usual resting place. "Sometimes I'm afraid of bringing up something that never really happened, but most people don't really notice a difference. I guess I'm just too quiet either way."

He traced an idle circle in the sand next to him. Although he wasn't exactly an artist, it was a well formed circle. "I'm glad the... other side isn't always rainy now. It's a little less creepy."

saedusk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 pm
"I know that feeling," he said with an audible sigh. Even around his own parents he was cautious, unwilling to make them suspicious, and even more so unwilling to make them unhappy despite knowing they'd be there to support him no matter what. There were things he knew were different—the exact way he became a moonwalker, for example, or when and how he got his fish—and the last thing he wanted to do was contradict something he should've known. Unfortunately, it was hard to ignore his own memories.

"It's nice to have someone to talk to who knows," he emphasized that as he chanced a glance at Kaleb. "I agree, though, I don't mind going to the Otherworld as much now. It feels more normal." He laughed. "But what even is normal anymore?"

Now his gaze wandered, lingering on the books Kaleb had piled up in the sand. He tongued once at his lip ring in thought before saying, "I guess school is still kinda normal. What're you studying?"

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:14 pm
Kaleb nodded with fervent agreement. Despite now having talked with a couple people who had memories of before the change, he was still surprised at how much that made him feel like a part of something. A part of a group. And even though the commonality between them all was big and scary and secretive, it was a relief to have that commonality at least.

"Normal is definitely a moving target," he agreed with a smile. "I think I'll just be satisfied with not spooking myself over nothing when I visit."

He followed Jamie's line of sight to the books. "Right now it's mostly Biology, but I haven't really pinned down a focus..." Kaleb said, his cheeks turning slightly pink. Since arriving at Ashdown, his leisure reading had spanned quite a range of topics across both life sciences and physical sciences. "You also attend the college?"

saedusk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 pm
"I do," he said as he used his palm for a chin rest. "Except I didn't even know it at first. I guess I'm sorta settling into the routine, but..." It wasn't easy going from zero to sixty in a second. Finding out he had a job and school on top of trying to move out of his parents' place had been rough.

"I'm going for environmental sciences. At least I can say it's what I wanted to do." That lit his eyes up a bit, thinking about one day living the dream. Hopefully that would be a dream without magical struggle and strife, too. "I wanna be a park ranger."

Grey Dragon

saedusk

Dedicated Bunny

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm
The title of park ranger brought to mind all sorts of exciting thoughts, far beyond the reach of a shy bookworm such as himself. Fighting accidental fires from errant campers, freeing fish and wildlife from bits of trash, hiking up a mountain with pink scarf and brown hair blowing in the breeze... It sounded fun and outdoorsy in a way Kaleb would never be able to handle.

"Wow, that's amazing," he replied with a smile. Both the goal of being a park ranger and actually having a goal was pretty impressive as far as Kaleb was concerned. "I like to read outside, away from all the city noises, but I think I would just get lost in a real park."

saedusk

ashdown

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces