Blasphemoose

Sugary Trash

18,300 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Egg Collector 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:26 pm
                      Name:Desmun Pterop

Desmodus rotundus- a leaf nosed vampire bat that is native to the americas.
                      Pteropus - a genus of megabat. Includes flying foxes

Blood colour:▇▇▇ #33999E

Symbol:User Image

Personality: Desmun is a quiet and easily flustered troll with immense curiosity. His curiosity leads to him often leaving his hive to go explore the world around him, much to chagrin of his lusus. This attitude from his lusus isn't without reason, Desmun doesn’t often have a huge amount of self-control or survival instinct and this usually leads to some troublesome outcomes such as; awkwardly explaining to a farmer or local worker why he took apart an engine of any sort or coming face to face with some horrible creature that he happened to accidentally disturb. But things like this don’t seem to deter him from indulging his curiosity and exploration as his curiosity has a heavy hold on his mind.

While exploring ruins or other places, Desmun likes to collect things that he finds. He brings these items home out of a sense that they might be useful someday or that he might use them for something else. But really, this is anything he happens to any junk or parts that he can lay his hands on. So his hive is quite messy with all sorts of knick-knacks and spare parts just laying around, waiting to be used for any future project. He enjoys trying to build new things out of the dismantled materials he found or rebuilding things that he took apart. Often, these things end up not running and not properly if at all, but it doesn't stop him from trying.

Desmun also takes a very keen interest in his fellow trolls, but often has to deal with his own anxieties and shyness before even talking to others. As for the hemospectrum, he doesn't really think on it too much. He knows as a tealblood, he's got a pretty decent lot in life and that there are some trolls he really shouldn't bother, but often times he's too busy, wrapped in his own little world to realize that it means something significant. He tends to take advantage, unwittingly, of his highblood status and doesn't often face off much with other highbloods since, most his neighbors in chittentown are lower than him. He doesn't feel contention towards lowerbloods, but he doesn't really treat them nicely either. He is entirely oblivious to the effect he and his choices have on others, but it is important to note that were he to be stripped of his status he would do anything in his power to get it back.

When talking with others, Desmun has an incredibly hard time with conversation, he can hold one, but it's very easy to fluster him into silence or tears. This is largely due to his inexperience with anyone outside of his lusus. Not knowing how to react or the proper things to say leads to distress in this particular. He knows that being unable to approach and talk to trolls won’t give him any sort of edge in the world and being too awkward to explain himself to someone who happens upon his shenanigans, won’t keep him from getting culled, even for a tealblood.

With this in mind, he desperately wants to go from being a totally shy troll, to a troll that could be charming, strong and even feared. Often times, he does his best to imitate various figures he's seen on the TV who seem like they know what their doing. Through these practices, he's become great at imitating them in the mirror and has picked up the ability of somewhat decent vocal impressions and memorizing cheesy lines from shows, movies and games. Whether these actually help him overcome his weaknesses, remains to be seen. He may be shy, but that doesn't deter him from his ideal. His progress is slow, but once Desmun has his sights set on something he'll get to that goal through sheer power of will. This drives his dream of self-change as well as his unbridled curiosity to just push forward.

Desmun has a bag on his back that resembles a very deep drawstring hood. Inside this bag are his tools and three journals. One journal is a dream journal, with his aspirations and accomplishments, another one is for trolls he meets and reminders about said trolls, the last one is for his feelings during the nights a place where his innermost feelings and fantasies are written.

Strengths:

Curious - Desmun's core drive is his curiosity. He's prone to exploring his interest in technology by taking apart what he can, whether bought or collected and his interest in others through his attempts at change.

Studious - Desmun is good at studying and remembering information and careful to have back up reminders for what he knows in case his memory fails him. His anxiety and fear leads him to collecting many useful facts and recalling them when necessary

Determined - Though an anxious mess, Desmun is very good at setting his mind to tasks and will not back down when he truly wants something, He may stop temporarily, but never permanently. This drives him through his anxiety towards getting things done and meeting new people.

Flaws:

Short-sighted - Desmun often does not think about the consequences of his actions until they are right in front of him or an immediate danger to his well being. This goes for his goals and choices.

Anxious - It is very easy to scare Desmun and he's almost always nervous in some aspect or another. This leads to bad decision making and knee jerk reactions instead of well thought out plans or dealing with problems calmly.
                      A very bad thing to do when in danger or around someone that could do harm.

Oblivious - He is not very good at picking up on social cues and even worse at realizing he's hurting feelings or stepping on toes in the metaphorical sense. He abuses his status unintentionally and doesn't often take others into regard.

Weapon: A socket wrench

Appearance:Desmun has messy hair that flips up from the bottom, the top is pretty straight except for two locks of stray hair that stick up, his bangs resemble folded bird wings and there is two symmetrically longer locks of hair that go down to his chin. His horns curl to the back, curve up and have three prongs at the end. something like this. He has a pointed tooth that sticks out. He wears a dark gray long sleeve, there is a green bag that acts as his hood and doubles as extra carrying space if he needs it. He wears a pair of cargo pants and his shoes are a simple black color, made expressly for exploring.

Home: Desert. His hive looks something like an upside down staircase with a bulge at the top. The bulge has an opening and looks like a cavern, Inside the actual structure is rather plain, with a few projects here and there.
                      The inside of his home is meant to be easy to access with enough room to stuff all of his findings and machines.

Lusus: A giant, long fanged flying fox with a pit viper as a tail. About 7x the size of a normal flying fox.

Bruce is a social and affectionate creature, doting on his charge and ensuring his safety. Often Bruce keeps Desmun as close as possible for as long as possible. There was even a time where Bruce kept Desmun within the hive for a while after leaving the caverns. This has been the largest cause of Desmun's poor social and decision making skills. Because of Bruce's doting and obsessive care, Desmun has become a lot less capable of proper decision making and social conduct.

But it also leads to Desmun needing Bruce close by to keep him out of trouble since his child is so danger prone.The cycle tends to repeat itself a lot and Bruce doesn't seem to understand the problem with his parenting towards Desmun. When they aren't out and about, Bruce usually grooms Desmun and tries to aid Desmun in his various projects. He scolds Desmun for his carelessness, but dotes on his child.

Power:none to speak of

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:21 pm
Desmun is looking pretty alright! There are only a handful of things that need a little more detail before I think he's pretty solid.

1. He doesn't think much on the hemospectrum but does he abide by it (for now) due to the media influence on him? Does he ignore it and treat people without a hemospectrum lens because it's hard enough to socialize without the additional stress of hemospectrum rankings and stereotypes? It's okay for him to not have a strong political viewpoint on the topic but the hemospectrum is something he has to deal with so it'd be good to figure out if he keeps his head down to avoid stirring up trouble or if he's too excited about his curiosities to remember to follow social norms surrounding the hemospectrum. There are a lot of ways to go with this that allow you to keep him from being an extremist but it's too integral to daily life on Alternia for him to not deal with it in some way.

2. Hivestuck tends to avoid using "intelligent" or "knowledgeable" as a strength/flaw. I think the description you have is great though and would suggest renaming it "studious" or "prepared"! He sounds adorable and I think these would fit well with him and explain that he looks for information in a proactive way to soothe his anxiety about failure.

That's all! I am curious to know what those aspirations are in his journals but it's not really a necessary thing to add, just a curiosity of my own!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Yamashii

Blasphemoose

Sugary Trash

18,300 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Egg Collector 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 am
Yamashii

He does abide by it to the best of his ability, it's not that he doesn't care for the spectrum or that he'd rebel against the system on purpose. It's just such an intangible concept that he forgets that there are rules surrounding it and how to act until he's in trouble. It falls under his not so great judgement skills. But I'll try and make that more specific.

for the second one: THANK YOU, I wasn't sure what other adjective to use for that one. But what you have is better.

and in his Aspriations journal, Right now it's a list of... like new years resolution type stuff, like:

Remember people more often
make better choices
don't be stupid (how?)
pay attention to trolls/hemospectrum stuff (how?)
etc etc etc  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm
I'm loving what a horror game protagonist Desmun is. I definitely laughed at him chronically collecting useless junk. Please tell me he has a stockpile of lighter fluid/lantern oil/batteries for flashlights.

My only point of crit is more a semantics thing than anything. I like what you're saying with Desmun's flaws, but I think the wording on Short-Sighted and Poor Judgement are too similar right now. Personally, I'd suggest expanding on Desmun's anxiety as a flaw, since that's a very Desmun-specific reason for his poor judgement.

Other than that, he's good!  

seekingCylem
Crew

Ice-Cold Cultist

9,875 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hygienic 200

Blasphemoose

Sugary Trash

18,300 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Egg Collector 100
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm
seekingCylem
I

BD then my goal has been accomplished. Heck, he probably has a bunch of flashlights/lanterns/lighters to use those. Maybe even a handful of first aid kits. Unfortunately, he can't squeeze those all into his tool bag, so he just carries a flashlight and batteries

Okay, so, I traded out his poor judgment flaw for Anxious. Since he does have a lot of Knee jerk reactions and very little sense of calm. Hope that works better!  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

seekingCylem
Crew

Ice-Cold Cultist

9,875 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hygienic 200
Completed Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers