Homestuck inspired troll related b/c 

Tags: homestuck, troll, breedables, mspa, alternia 

Reply OOC Stuff
skype to discord potential chat transfer Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

are you completely unable to move over from skype to discord?
yes
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:08 pm
i've been debating moving hivestuck chat over from skype to discord for a while

if you don't know what discord is:

Quote:
discord is a chat program! it's primary focus is gamers, but they've been working to make it appealing to everyone.
https://discordapp.com/

discord has:
a downloadable program
an app (ios & android)
a web browser version

pros and cons of moving hivestuck chat over

pros:
connect your skype to re-add your skype friends as they join discord
we get an entire server!
can have multiple small chatrooms as well as a primary one (keep meta group chats more organized, etc)
voice channels that you can enter and leave at any time so voice chat is easier than skype
custom troll emojis /eyebrow wiggle
ping others with @username rather than skype's awkward keywords
embedded gifs /more eyebrow wiggling

cons:
no search feature (ctrl+f) to find old messages - though this is supposed to come in 2017
migrating to another program
???

if you've read this, please comment below with your opinion. ALSO if you have any questions, comments, concerns, (or cons that i've overlooked) please bring them up! unless there's a complete overwhelming positive response, i'll probably make the decision in a month.

learn discord!

update! how to add skype friends!!! check the spoiler below for a handy dandy guide!!!

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:15 pm

//sliiiides on in here

personally i prefer discord to skype! its not as wonky and its way more reliable. we migrated from skype to discord in the shop i co-own and its been really reliable and helped us actually see questions posted in the chat/manage meta chats better/have specific areas for off-topic chatter to be since... you can have like 30 channels per server. + you can make certain channels only visible to certain members so we were also able to get rid of having two different chats for general shop stuff and staff things. @ u @;;

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

leon_a_darkangel

Dedicated Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:26 pm
-shuffles in- like i mentioned in skype i'll go with if the majority wants to migrate that way. ive used it during raiding time in WoW and can validate its a solid program.

in the long run it would be worth the effort even if its a bit of a big move for everyone and would require some to download/install and it also means running multiple chat clients potentially for some who use skype mostly/exclusively of course.

then of course there's the whole skype as a phone/tablet device is accessible when people are on the go to be fair. BUUUT it has compatibility and can be installed to my phone so that solves my concern /shrugs  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 pm
I can't really say I'm completely unable to move to discord because I do have an account and use it for something else already, but I do massively prefer skype and would honestly like to stay in it if possible. That's more personal preference than anything though, so I'll make the attempt if the majority wants to go. I just probably won't like it much for a while, but I'd get used to it eventually.  

KitsuneAura

Magical Detective

purplerosesbeauty

Springtime Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:22 pm
As much as I love skype (as a creature of habit) I am in favor of a move. My poor wife can't use skype without it crashing their computer, and I love the idea of having our own serve with custom emojis and gifs, and the ability to separate into smaller chats easier.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm
My issue is that I have always struggled to remember to log onto alternate messengers. I do have a Discord account and two chats I'm in, but if you were to ask any of those people if I still logged in or remembered, they'd say no. |D If we were to migrate to Discord, I would likely miss a lot of discussion simply because I'm forgetful.

However, this isn't something that should block the use of Discord. If this is what you guys want to do, that's up to you and it's cool. I just know that I'll need to adjust and try to remember.

Bouquet of Diamonds

Fantastic Kitten

penemueIntuition

Magical Bro

23,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:47 pm
I like Discord a lot! I am alright-ish with skype, but if we moved to Discord I certainly wouldn't be upset. <3 It has a whole lot less crashing issues for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm
I'm fine with whatever, but I am curious, does discord allow you to send files like skype does?  

Unaru

Destitute Gawker

DraconicFeline

Hilarious Genius

9,175 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:49 pm
KitsuneAura
I can't really say I'm completely unable to move to discord because I do have an account and use it for something else already, but I do massively prefer skype and would honestly like to stay in it if possible. That's more personal preference than anything though, so I'll make the attempt if the majority wants to go. I just probably won't like it much for a while, but I'd get used to it eventually.

i second aura, but part of it is that im not good with big change... and the other part is that I dont know discord. Its an unfamiliar program.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm
Unaru
I'm fine with whatever, but I am curious, does discord allow you to send files like skype does?
yes! it allows you to send pictures/files like skype.

it basically has every skype feature except for search (which is coming early 2017)  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

Snoofington

Merry Krampus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:18 pm
i'm not in the skype group but for group chats i VASTLY prefer discord and would actually be willing to join in on the group chat if it moved to discord

i deal with skype mainly but it overwhelms me with group chats there and it's not very user friendly as is, nor resource friendly, so even though i'm not in the chat as yet i am putting in a vote for moving to discord!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm
I like discord and skype but I do like major changes and adaptions. Also skype tends to glitch on me PLENTIFUL so if migration were to happen, count me in.
User Image

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Gl!tch~

Fashionable Genius

4,475 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:38 pm
I feel like migration is inevitable but I am not super into change so if there ends up being only a month's time to switch over, it'll be very stressful for me personally . -.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 pm
Please, please migrate chat to discord. Skype freezes on me constantly since a few months ago.  

Buzzwulf

Sami-Fire

Devoted Senshi

9,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Over Easy 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:31 pm
I'm in favor of a move to Discord, if only so that I don't have to deal with Skype. I hate Skype. X'D  
OOC Stuff

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff