Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 am
User Image
JONAH LANE
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years Old

═══════════════════XXXX═══════════════════

Jonah nearly leapt out of his skin when Eiji flopped into the seat beside him suddenly, not prepared for someone else to be as late as he was. He glanced towards the boy next to him… He looked as nervous as he did, and that was honestly a relief. Must have been ‘late kid solidarity’ or something. He decided since he was here he may as well try to make friends with his fellow delinquent, scribbling a note on the bottom corner of his notebook that Eiji would be able to see when he casually scooted his notebook just a little closer towards his classmate but not enough to make it obvious. He nudged Eiji lightly with his elbow, nodding inconspicuously towards his notebook as if signaling for him to read his note. He would have went through the whole process of ripping out a page, writing the note, folding it and passing it under the table, but somehow he had a feeling they would be caught immediately if he did so... Even from the back row.

‘I’m Jonah. Did you sleep in too? I just got in a couple minutes ago, don’t worry, I don’t think the prof. is too upset on the first day maybe… Hasn’t said anything at least.’

═════════════════════════════════════════════

Status
When // Fall 2042
Where // DADA
With // Eiji and First Years
Feeling // Startled
Thinking // I hope this doesn't come off as annoying...

OOC: Hope you don't mind, I've been waiting for an opportunity to interract w/ Eiji >3>
shadow_the_kit

Hm, a curious mind, an adventurous spirit!
Oh, you could do so well in so many places, my boy
Legacy or not, I see you going far
But, let's see then... I think, for you, it'll be

Ravenclaw!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eiji Clarke
1st Year | Half-Blood | Hufflepuff

Eiji gave an embarrassed smile and scratched his head. He angled the note book a little closer and jaunted down a quick note.

'Yeah. I feel asleep. Didn't think I'd sleep for a few days but I think the excitement of finally being here got to me.'

Eiji grinned at Jonah and offered him one of his sugar quills. He peaked up at the professor to make sure neither of them would be caught. Eiji then pulled out his wand and began to mimic the want movements from earlier to make sure it looked like he was actually focused on class.

OOC: - No prob. Excited to have some interaction with my fellow year mates.

Trickblues

When | Fall 2042
Where | DADA
With | 1st years
Feeling | Slightly jittery

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:10 pm
User Image
JONAH LANE
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years Old

When Jonah read Eiji’s note his eyebrows shot straight up. ‘This kid is just now getting sleep?!’ He screamed to himself internally, instantly worried for his new acquaintance. ‘And they say my sleep schedule is a mess…’ He needed to get this kid some coffee, STAT. Sadly, this was nor the time or place to do so. He didn’t even get the boy’s name, but he hoped his nerves would calm so he could get a decent night’s sleep soon. Although, he did seem to be doing pretty well with only a few hour's rest. Good on him.

When offered the sugar quill, Jonah gave a friendly smile and accepted the candy gratefully, mouthing a small ‘thanks’ before turning his attention back to the teacher, making the motions with his wand in his non-dominate hand while he scribbled another short note for Eiji:

‘Please tell me you’re going to sleep eventually, or else I’m going to have to bring you coffee or something next time.’

He didn’t plan to pushing much further with the notes; he knew full well these teachers would not be as easy to get past as his primary school teachers back at home… Hopefully he’d learn some sort of concealment spell eventually, or maybe invest in some invisible ink.

Status
When // Fall 2042
Where // DADA
With // Eiji and Classmates
Feeling // Mildly Concerned

OOC:
shadow_the_kit

Ravenclaw!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:15 pm
User Image

This was bad, this was really really bad. To be late to class was putting a bad name for his house. How is he going to be a good student by being tardy? He rushed into the class with a few people entering the door like him. As he came in, he heard that Ravenclaw received 10 points and saw Sonora here as well. No doubt that she is the one that answered the question. If Alex didn't come in late he would have answered that. He listened to the professor and knew that this class will be very helpful in the mere future being in this school and after he graduated.

Quote:

Quote:

CEOxJOE

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 am

Eiji Clarke

Eiji grinned at Jonah's note. He couldn't help but feel touched. He'd never had a stranger be concerned about him before. Most strangers tended to avoid him because he was so hyper. Though if the kid was going to worry about him sleeping... he'd be gray by the end of the year.

Eiji winked at Jonah and jotted down another quick note. 'I don't really sleep. I'm a chronic insomniac. You only really need to worry if I drop off mid-conversation. If I do just leave me where I land.' Eiji chuckled quietly. 'By the way, my name is Eiji.'

OOC: -

Trickblues

When | Fall 2042
Where | DADA Class
With | Jonah and classmates
Feeling | Touched

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon almost languished at her desk, looking vaguely irked as the students came in and took their seats. Finally, with a small sigh, she stood up, stretched a little, and wand in hand, began her pacing up and down the rows of desks and chairs, careful not to trip over anyone's bag. "You're all in luck, as today we'll be learning one of the most simple- and essential- spells known to wizards. Some of you may already be familiar with this, as it's not unusual to simply pick it up from older students as you go about your daily lives." She held her wand aloft, made sure they were all looking at it, and enunciated carefully, "LOO-mos," while moving it in a loop:

And then a sharp wave-like motion, saying, "NOCK-ss,":

The bright light extinguished itself immediately. "That," said Fanchon, "Is the wand lighting and extinguishing charm. As you can see, it's obviously very useful when you are in a dark place, or going about at night. It was not, surprisingly, invented until the year 1772, by a witch named Levina Monkstanley, who worked for the Ministry of Magic, and first used it to find a fallen quill. However, credit was almost stolen from her a German wizard name Garvin Lugner, who said he had invented the spell while developing his Instant Darkness Powder. He was lying, of course, and his powder was found to only dim a room slightly, rather than throw it into darkness."

She stowed her wand away. "Now, one of the positive side effects of the charm is that it also repels many spectral creatures, as well as any dark spirits, so it can be very useful to keep your wand lit when in a place where you may encounter anything of that nature. There's really nothing much to this- the wand movements are most important, as well as making sure your wand stays lit. It's no good if you can only keep the charm up for a few moments, so I want to see everyone's wand lit for at least five minutes. I'll set a timer."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

CEOxJOE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:03 pm
User Image

Unlike last time, Alex was ready for class and one of the first ones to arrive. He got to his desk and prepare for today's lesson. It wasn't going to be like last time. When Professor Cohen showed them the wand-lighting charm and explained what it was and used for as well as capabilities; Alex took note on everything that was said especially the spell and motion of it,'Lumos' and 'Nox':

After Alex wrote his notes he did run through the wand motions quickly, since he had never used them before. After three tries he felt he was ready to perform a practice run. "Lumos." His wand lit up, just as he had expected it to. Quickly, he said, "Nox," just to make sure he knew both spells. After his practice run, it was a rather easy spell to do. Keeping it for five minutes was the only thing to worry about. The professor set the timer and when she did, Alex did the motion for Lumos. "Lumos." the tip of his wand lit and he did his best to keep it so for five minutes. He closed his eyes and tried to block out all sound. He was fully concentrated on his spell.

After a short while, he opened them and noticed that more than five minutes had gone by; 6 minutes and 11 seconds to be exact. He felt proud to have gotten it right immediately. It was very useful, too, especially when dealing with what the professor said, 'spectral creatures'.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 am
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
User ImageFirst Year SlytherinUser Image
▬▬"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. " ▬▬

Vespera once again sat in the back of the classroom and began writing notes on the lecture, Lumos = Light Nox = Dark, light and dark in each wand, it is the user who decides which is more important.

They had five minutes to need to hold Lumos out, Vespera frowned. She had only ever held it out for a few seconds at a time, because she didn't need it for longer than that. Although, if she snuck out of the common room at night and needed something.. this could be useful. "Lumos!" She said sternly to her wand while doing the loops of the spell, her wand came on with light, and stayed that way for a few seconds, but then it went out again. She started again, "Lumos!" the wand came on again, and stayed on a bit longer, she would get this before the class was over...or just use a flashlight the rest of her time in her life.

▬▬ "Within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil." ▬▬

Where: DADA
With Whom: Students
Thinking about: Classes
Vespera Description: Short 4' even, blond hair, green eyes and slight tan.
Wearing: School Uniform
OOC:Feel free to talk with Ves

_____

_____

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 pm
User Image
JONAH LANE
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years OldReserve Beater

So far, this class was going much better than last week’s. Jonah was on time, and best of all, he already picked up this spell during his time in the Ravenclaw common room. Lumos was probably the most useful spell when it came to late night reading… But the fact that it aids against spectral creatures and spirits? Talk about a plus.

“Lumos.” From his seat in the back, Jonah made the motions and cast the spell with ease… Now it was simply playing the waiting game. He knew he had used the spell for at least five minutes before, so he wasn’t too concerned about this particular lesson.

Status
When // Fall 2042
Where // DADA
With // First Years
Feeling // Confident
Thinking // So if I were to cast this in the Forbidden Forest... How useful would it be in there?

OOC:
Username

Ravenclaw!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 pm
The sky we’re looking at today

♪♫ Sonora Li
first year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Reserve Keeper

Sonora was so absorbed copying notes from Professor Cohen's lecture that she had a bit of a late start. "Lumos," she murmured quickly and held it off to the side while she finished copying the notes. She usually used it to guide her way through the halls in the early morning when she crept outside to read on the Pitch.

As she double-checked her notes though, she realized that she hadn't tried using other spells with it. It seemed easy enough by now to cast Lumos alone, but surely if it was to be effective defensively, then they would have to be able to cast it with another spell? She stared at the successful casting requirements from Charms and the equation from Transfiguration again, wondering nervously what this monstrosity might looked like if there were multiple spells to consider at once.

”QUOTING”

could be brighter tomorrow.

addaellis

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:44 pm
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon waited until the first years were seated before she started the day's lesson, Jacques prowling around the edge of the classroom. "Flipendo, or the Knockback Jinx, is a very useful spell, especially for a young and inexperienced witch or wizard. It's not difficult to cast and it can be very handy when you find yourself backed into a corner." The Haitian woman gestured with her wand at an unoccupied chair close to her. "Flipendo!" the chair skittered backwards, toppling over with a wooden thud.

"As you can see, it works on objects as well as people. However, people can still get up, even after you knock them over, so I wouldn't expect to win any fights with this jinx," she said dryly. "Depending on the force used, it might just shove someone back roughly, or knock them completely off their feet. I wouldn't expect to send anyone- or anything- flying on your first few tries, however. And be aware that it can be blocked with a simple shield charm or just dodged." The professor nodded to the board. "There's what your wand movement should look like."

"And the light of the jinx should be blue. Now, I don't want you accidentally- or intentionally- hurting each other, so I want a row of desks across the room and everyone behind them. On my count, try to knock the desks back- after I'm behind them as well," Fanchon said hastily. "Alright, en, de, twa-,"

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am

Eiji Clarke

Eiji hurried into DADA classroom. He was running late since the moving staircase had decided to take him to the wrong floor and didn't seem to want to take him back. He really hoped the professor would be too mad. He like her and thought she was tidy. Eiji hurried to the closest desk and pulled all his supplies out. He jotted down the professors words and sketched the wand movements.

After he was done writing down his notes, Eiji hurried to take his place behind the desk already set up for spell work. He waited until the professor was out of the way until he began to practice the wand movements, just in case. "Flipendo!"Eiji exclaimed when he did the wand movements this time. Eiji's desk barely moved though. Eiji frowned and mumbled the spell a few times to make sure he had the pronunciation right.

"Flipendo." Eiji called out again. This time the desk did push back a bit and tipped over. Eiji grinned and quickly set the desk up again. He then proceeded to try the spell a few more times. Each time the spell grew progressively more powerful, even if the desk didn't move as far as the professor's chair had.

OOC: -

When | Fall 2042
Where | DADA class
With | 1st years
Feeling | Worried

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 pm
The sky we’re looking at today

♪♫ Sonora Li
first year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Reserve Keeper

Notes done, Sonora scurried to stand and practice. "Flipendo," she directed at the desk in front of her when she was sure she had both pronunciation and wand movement down. The desk moved as though someone had bumped into it. She looked away, skimming over her notes again. This time, she envisioned a bludger slamming full speed into the desk. "Flipendo!".The desk skittered back a little more feet squeaking against the floor, but not nearly as much as she'd hoped or thought. No matter. Practice would make proficient. A few more practices later she still felt discontent with her practice.

She ended up just watching the student next to her working for a bit. "You make it look so simple,"" she greeted with a compliment."If you don't mind, what do you envision when you're casting?"

It took her a moment longer to realize why he looked familiar. "Oh! You're the boy with the candy-quills in History! The one who drew chibis! Do you draw a lot?" She had meant to find him again after she found out the Daily Dragon didn't have a dedicated comic artist yet-- and what a wonderful addition to the paper that could be--if, of course, the boy was who she thought he was and was willing.

shadow_the_kit

could be brighter tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:39 pm
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
User ImageFirst Year SlytherinUser Image
▬▬"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. " ▬▬

Vespera ran into class late, of course she did. She had just fallen asleep for a minute and then suddenly it was past time for Defense. She looked for a seat and saw all the desks were pushed back, and the students behind them. She stood back, and watched the other students, trying to figure out the jinx. She nodded to herself and wrote down a note to research 'Flipendo' since she had missed the lecture. She really wasn't doing that well with showing up for classes this first year, maybe next year would be better. She began to work on her wand motion, and mouthing the words, she didn't want to mess this up especially after being late.

▬▬ "Within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil." ▬▬

Where: DADA
With Whom: Students
Thinking about: Classes
Vespera Description: Short 4' even, blond hair, green eyes and slight tan.
Wearing: School Uniform
OOC:Feel free to talk with Ves

_____

_____

[/align

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 pm
User Image
JONAH LANE
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years OldReserve Beater

Jonah has barely made it to class in time, out of breath from his sprint through the halls by the time he got in for the lecture. He really had to get better about this, he knew, but at least his grades were holding up to make up for it… Right?

In any case, this was a spell Jonah had been looking forward to practicing. A knock back jinx would prove to be extremely useful to combat any of Vespera’s future hi-jinks, he wagered. When it was time to practice, Jonah chose his desk and mimicked the movements from the board. “Flipendo.”

The desk budged, but not quite the desired effect. Maybe if he imagined something forceful… The boy huffed, taking a moment to think of something that may work for him. He often fought with his brother, maybe tackling Orion would be a useful image to conjour? Trying again, Jonah casted the spell with a little more force. “Flipendo!” Sure enough, the desk toppled over, but it didn’t exactly knock back. The spell would definitely take some practicing.

Status
When // Fall 2042
Where // DADA
With // First Years
Feeling // Focused
Thinking // This will take some work.

OOC:
Username

Ravenclaw!

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items