Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
History of Magic I (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:08 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Faina got to class fairly early, and found Rhett was already there, and took a seat not far from his. She'd always been good at history at her old school, and hoped she would be able to continue that here at Hogwarts. Unlike her Head of House or the Potions teacher, this instructor didn't look particularly stern, scary or just plain ol' malevolent, so Faina figured it was wise to just pay attention, do her work, and no funny business.

When class started, Faina waited her turn to give an answer. With straightforward Russian pragmatism, she offered, "I'm Faina Patrovna-Harcroft from Slytherin House. Since we seem to have great difficulty learning the lessons of the past, and are condemned to repeat our mistakes, we need to learn history so we have a better idea of what will happen to us next."

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "You're lost little girl, you're lost little girl
                  You're lost, tell me who are you?"

"I think that you know what to do
                  Impossible? Yes, but it's true
                  I think that you know what to do, yeah
                  I'm sure that you know what to do "

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am
User Image

E L I Z A B E T HxxxW H Y T E

FIRSTxYEAR xxxxxxHUFFLEPUFFxxxxxxMUGGLEBORN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Lizzy didn't mind history, all she needed to do was memorise and that wasn't too hard. It had been among her favourite subjects before Hogwarts, but that was mostly because the teacher was really kind and patient with her. This professor didn't look nearly as inviting as her previous teacher, but compared to some of the other professors (like Professor Hill, Lizzy thought with a shiver), he was, okay? The didn't have to do any introductions yet at least. She took a seat near the middle and let her head rest on her folded arms on the table as she listened to the professor and her classmates talk.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c u r r e n t l yxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                            ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
                                                            a txxHoM classroomxxxxxw i t hxxthe professor, her classmates
                                                            f e e l i n gxxscaredxxxxxw e a r i n gxxher uniform

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

o o c
                                                        ━━━━
                                                        - - - - - - - - -

username

oyehh

Feral Fairy

24,500 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Candy Fiend 150

The Shiny Furret

Merry Muse

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm
User Image
                                                Would you do anything for me? Buy a big diamond ring for me?
                                                Would you get down on your knees for me? Pop that pretty question right now, baby.

🌼 𝑅𝒶𝒸𝒽𝑒𝓁𝑒 𝒦𝒶𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒶 𝐹𝒾𝑜𝓇𝒶𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒾 🌼
                                                Hufflepuff / First Year / Halfblood

Beauty queen on a silver screen. Living life like I'm in a dream.
                                                I know I've got a big ego. I really don't know why it's such a big deal, though.

╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

Rachele hurried into her first class of the term, History of Magic. She was never one for history, finding memorizing dates, names and places to be quite tedious and boring, but it was a core class and she had to take it, so here she was. The girl sat down near the back of the class, next to a Gryffindor boy who introduced himself as Rhett. As the professor spoke, he went over the general rules of the class and called for everyone to introduce themselves. He also asked why history needed to be learned, an interesting question that made Rachele think. However, when it came down to it, she found that she agreed with what Rhett had said previously. "Rachele Fioravanti of Hufflepuff, sir, and I agree with what Rhett said," she said simply. She didn't have much to add, so she sat back and listened to what the other students had to say on the subject.

╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

'Cause I'm a primadonna girl, yeah. All I ever wanted was the world.
                                                I can't help that I need it all. The primadonna life, the rise and fall.
                                                You say that I'm kinda difficult, but it's always someone else's fault.
                                                Got you wrapped around my finger, babe. You can count on me to misbehave.

🌼 xx 🌼 xx 🌼

OOC: . . .

mc2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:04 pm
First things first
I'ma say all the words inside my head
I'm fired up and tired of the way that things have been, oh ooh
The way that things have been, oh ooh
User Image
User Image

Hαℓƒвℓσσ∂ Ɠяуƒƒιη∂σя Ƒιяѕт Ƴєαя Ƒємιηιѕт

╰☆╮Gi was torn about going to History; on one hand it should be somewhat easy since all they'd be doing is regurgitating facts like she did back in her other school, but on the other hand it would also be boring because it was regurgitating facts. Maybe because they're magical facts the class would be slightly better. Maybehopefully. She took a seat again besides Lizzy and pulled out her supplies she thought were needed and waited for professor to start. When he first told them to put away their wands she pouted but did as she was told before paying more attention to his words. Her eyes widened a bit as she learned about witch burnings-she hadn't known those had been an actual thing!-which lead to their statue of secrecy before being asked why they should learn history. Well for that obviously! "Hello professor, I'm Gi-Seung Cho, Gryffindor and we learn history because some people don't know what happened in the past, good or bad. Maybe it should be more about you know, learning from mistakes and all that but really, history is like our biography as a species almost. Like Rhett said it's our origin story. It helps us learn about ourselves and teach our future about our past and keep our past relevant. Or prevalent.One of those." she answered with a sheepish shrug.

Diamond Wales

Second thing
Second, don't you tell me what you think that I can be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea, oh ooh
The master of my sea, oh ooh

User Image  

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 pm
User Image
                                                  And I can't stop 'til the whole world knows my name
                                                  'Cause I was only born inside my dreams
                                                  Until you die for me, as long as there's a light, my shadow's over you
                                                  'Cause I, I am the opposite of amnesia
                                                  And you're a cherry blossom
                                                  You're about to bloom
                                                  You look so pretty, but you're gone so soon

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

Mᴜɢɢʟᴇʙᴏʀɴ || Fɪʀsᴛ Yᴇᴀʀ || Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ

════════════════════════

Akira had flopped into his seat, already bored with the class and it hadn't even really started yet. Of course the professor didn't make the subject more interesting, as he gave3 the whole 'What does learning history really do for us' spiel. The answers were pretty straightforward, though one of his housemates offered the bleakest assessment of why history needed to be learned. He rolled his eyes, thinking that someone had to have rolled over her favourite pet or something, because no one his age was really that depressing, were they? Even he wasn't that bad, and he'd witnessed a pretty awful event in his young life.

Clearing his throat, he decided to speak up in defence of the rest of his classmates against the raging emo.
                                                  "Akira Yamazaki, Slytherin, and wow, someone has a really dour outlook on life. If you're so convinced that humanity's condemned to repeat mistakes, then why are we even here trying to learn about the past? Obviously that insinuates that we're stuck in a vicious cycle we're doomed to be a part of for eternity, so why bother, right? Oh wait, that suggests that humanity's going to be around that long, right? Another point against that logic. While yeah, we could get a better idea of what to expect next, maybe we could look at old problems, look at what didn't work before, and try and find a new vantage point for what could work. You know, good old Thomas Edison and the whole 'I have not failed ten thousand times. I have successfully found ten thousand ways that will not work.' saying? Technically speaking, we only need to find the solution that will work rather than assume that there is no solution to be found and we're doomed to repeat mistakes for eternity." Akira then sat back and crossed his arms, thinking that hey, if she was going to be a complete pessimist, he might as well tell her why she was being one.

════════════════════════

Thinking: And here I thought I was going to be bored...
                                                  OOC:

- ◎ -

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

We've been here forever
                                                  And here's the frozen proof
                                                  I could scream forever
                                                  We are the poisoned youth

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft

As Faina listened to what others in class had to say, she heard Akira's answer, and was duly ... unsurprised; not given the way he and Callista went at it during the Sorting Feast the night before. While she might have wanted to defend her position, she didn't want to start a squabble and get detentions on her first freakin' day of class. 'Yeah, Cousin Sergei would be real thrilled to get that notice, wouldn't he? First day of school an' starting in on it with other kids, and right in front of a teacher,' she thought. Besides, the teacher wanted a simple answer to a simple question; no teacher she knew was interested in a debate among a bunch of eleven year-old students. No, she decided, let Akira commit the first unforced error; it would be a good test of their history teacher's patience, and willingness to allow for debate. Her response was simply to shrug.

OOC:
Diamond Wales

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, eyes examining the room as he steps up to the board to write something in large letters before placing the chalk down and standing before the class.

Professor Powell
                                              History Of Hogwarts

"Hello class, and welcome back. Today, we're going to go over the history of Hogwarts."

"Hogwarts was founded in the ninth to tenth century by its founders, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They came together to build the school due to increased suspicion of muggles and magic, and wanted to teach students without fear of prosecution. However, not all of them agreed on which students should be accepted into the school. Salazar Slytherin wanted to only admit purebloods, which was at odds with the other founders. He left the school, and never returned.

"Hogwarts was one of the finest institutes for magical learning by the thirteenth century, and together with Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, started the Triwizard Tournament. However, due to injuries and deaths resulting from the tournament, it was disbanded six centuries after it started. There have been many attempts to reinstate it, but none have been successful.

"More recently, the school has been the site for many different incidents in the last century. It was here that Voldemort learned his magic, and here that Harry Potter defeated him in the Battle for Hogwarts. It has also been the site for the most recent attempt for the Triwizard Tournament, and obviously remains a major school for magic today."

He looked about the class. "Now I know that some of you may have questions, so don't hesitate to ask. I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability."

════════════════════════
                                              Location: History of Magic classroom
                                              Thinking: New year, new faces...
                                              Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                              OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:22 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft

After her last history class, Faina almost dreaded coming to this one. She'd promised Cousin Sergei she'd stay out of trouble, and thus far she'd managed to do so, although the actions and comments of some of her classmates caused her to be tempted to break that promise. So far as she was concerned, the jury was still out as to Professor Powell. He seemed kindly enough, but she wasn't going to be goaded into a verbal battle with Akira in his class. No, if she was to draw a detention, then, by golly, it would be for some act worthy of it, and talking out of turn just didn't fit the bill.

She was diligent in her note-taking, her handwriting being neat and concise, and at some point the lecture gave way to questions. Faina raised her hand, and waited to be acknowledged before asking, "Professor, why did the Founders choose this location to build the school? Is it on a ley-line or a nexus of some sort?" She'd seen a number of large standing stones on the grounds, and the thought had crossed her mind. It would explain much if it were so.

OOC:
Quote:

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 am
User Image
Rhett Fang Ye
<1st year>

Rhett returned to History not because he was excited for the class, but because he didn't want to get in trouble for skipping. He didn't have that many classes so the least he could do is show up. Besides it would be rude not to come to class and rudeness was unacceptable, it made him feel itchy if he was purposely rude. He was sure it was his mother's nature that was the reason because others did not seem to have his problem. Akira was more critical of Faina than Rhett would ever dream of being to someone and he didn't seem bothered by it one bit. Faina seemed bothered though and that is why Rhett decided to sit next to Faina. This way she knew she had someone supporting her even if her outlook was a bit bleak at times.

Sitting down and taking out parchment and paper, Rhett listened to Professor Powell who began the lecture. Rhett was relieved it was basics but figured it would be since there would be muggleborns here who never learned about Hogwarts or its history or the rest of the magic world. Rhett tried his best to pay attention and take notes but half of his paper was made up of really poor sketches that were mostly stick figures playing quidditch, or that was what it looked like if you squinted and used a lot of imagination.

Rhett listened to Faina's question and once that was answered offered his own question, "Sir, is the school doing anything specific to influence students not to go bad like You-Know-Who was? I mean it wasn't too long ago that he came to power and had all those followers." Rhett was curious if there was some change in moral teaching or something, especially considering if someone came to power like Voldemort, Rhett and people like him would probably be offed even before muggleborns.

Time: 2036-2037
                  Looking: Ready for Adventure

Hello, then, Rhett
                  Hm, adventurous and reckless,
                  And you like pranks and can't sit still
                  Yes, I know just where to place you

Gryffindor!

{OoC: }
                  Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 pm
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:38 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson looked up from his book as he noticed the students coming in. He didn't know how long he had been sitting reading, but the effect was always the same. Usually it would end with him being confused about what was going on, but today was different. He was supposed to be teaching the class, and as usual, it left him a bit awkward as to how to go about it. He however decided to go about doing it the simple way.

"Hello, class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your professor, Grayson Powell. In this class, there is no wandwork, since magic doesn't help you to learn about history. Therefore, your wands will need to be put away." He stood, taking his feet from off the desk and faced the children directly. "History is a collection of events, as I'm sure you are all well aware of. However, these events help to shape the world around us. If not for the witch burnings of the sixteen hundreds, we would not have the Statue of Secrecy. If not for the crises of the last century, we would not have cooperation of all magical folk." He glanced around the class, letting his gaze fall over each of the students. "Now, can someone tell me, besides what I have stated, why history needs to be learned?"

════════════════════════
                                              OOC:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Maximillian Leonis,First year,Ravenclaw

Max walked into the room and sat down in the second row, he liked history, but he didn't want to draw too much attention to himself. Max laid his notebook and quill on the desk in front of him and waited for the class to start he thought about how laid back this professor seemed and wondered if they would all be like that. When the teacher addressed the class Max thought for a minute and then raised his hand "Maximillian Leonis, Ravenclaw, professor I believe that we must learn our history in order to understand how and why things are the way they are and that by knowing our history hopefully, we can avoid repeating our... mistakes or crimes." Max knew his answer was simple but those were the reasons he was told for the importance of Muggle history and felt that they could apply to magic history as well.  

true bboy

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm
~ New Year ~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson looked up from his book as he noticed the students coming in. He didn't know how long he had been sitting reading, but the effect was always the same. Usually it would end with him being confused about what was going on, but today was different. He was supposed to be teaching the class, and as usual, it left him a bit awkward as to how to go about it. He however decided to go about doing it the simple way.

"Hello, class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your professor, Grayson Powell. In this class, there is no wandwork, since magic doesn't help you to learn about history. Therefore, your wands will need to be put away." He stood, taking his feet from off the desk and faced the children directly. "History is a collection of events, as I'm sure you are all well aware of. However, these events help to shape the world around us. If not for the witch burnings of the sixteen hundreds, we would not have the Statue of Secrecy. If not for the crises of the last century, we would not have cooperation of all magical folk." He glanced around the class, letting his gaze fall over each of the students. "Now, can someone tell me, besides what I have stated, why history needs to be learned?"

════════════════════════
                                              OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm
User Image
xCian Quinlan xxxx Slytherin xxxx First Year

You hear the door slam
                                                          And realize there's nowhere left to run
                                                          You feel the cold hand
                                                          And wonder if you'll ever see the sun
                                                          You close your eyes

Cian came to class ready to go. Book? Check. Bag? Check. Brain? .... Well he was mostly ready. He found a spot at the middle area of desks. Perhaps he could save a seat for his friends? Once class began he would be ready with an awnser. "Well if we did something stupid in the past we dont want to do it again or we can be better prepared when something simaler happens." He said once he was called upon. History even magic history should be easy. He just needed to remember facts and not fall asleep. Just cause he knew it was important didnt mean he nessasarly find it interesting

And hope that this is just imagination
                                                                            Girl but all the while
                                                                            You hear a creature creeping up behind
                                                                            You're out of time

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff