[drp] time trials (eve / volunteers) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 pm
Accidentally Coincidental

Kaleb sipped the tea and watched Eve sort through the bag he had brought. It was a calming combination. At the mention of fixing the glasses his cheeks began to turn pink.

"You can do that?" He asked, raising one hand to push them up on his nose. "I'm not sure where to go in Ashdown to get new glasses, I haven't had a chance to even think about it yet. These ones are from last year, before I came for school... I'm... pretty hopeless without them."

cibarium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm
Help me help you

"You performed the actual casting," said Eve. "The rest is just semantics, which anyone can develop in time. I'd be happy to help get you started sometime."

"I'm refining a reversal spell as part of my project," Eve answered. "Fixing a pair of glasses should be straightforward in theory... and I know you're already handy with ritual magic." She remembered the binding spell he'd done with Leila and America, and fondly.

The notebook she'd been using to document her research was close at hand, and she opened it to the page with the rewind spell design for Kaleb to look at. "Want to give it a try?"

melancholies
yeah! :D

grey dragon

cibarium
Crew

Noob

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

"If it's not too much trouble," Kaleb agreed with a shy, hopeful smile. Even the tiniest vote of confidence was enough to give him encouragement.

He looked over at the spell design, reluctant to take off his glasses until they were ready to actually perform the magic. "So this is... the shape the magic will take?" He asked, glancing up at Eve for a second before looking back down at the page. "I've never worked from a diagram before..."

cibarium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Eve nodded thoughtfully. "I've found that ritual magic is like coding," she said, "but you're communicating with the world around you instead of a computer. This is just some of the programming language I've chosen."

She traced the elements of it with a fingertip and began to translate: "The circle's drawn counter-clockwise to indicate reversal, and the Zodiac sign and moon phase you add determine the day the subject is being reversed to. If your glasses broke today, though, we might want to try adding something else for the time of day..." Now her finger was tapping on the paper thoughtfully. "Hadn't thought of that until just now. What do you think?"

Her attention turned back to Kaleb, open to suggestion.

grey dragon

cibarium
Crew

Noob

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 pm

"Wow," he muttered in amazement, at face value it sounded so simple, but this was literally turning back time on something. The power commanded by that diagram was definitely not simple.

He glanced up from the notebook. "Only reversing it a short time might make the casting easier, but more symbols would also make it a bit more complex, one more variable that might cause it to fail?"

"It actually just happened while I was on my way over, so within the last half hour or so..." Kaleb admitted sheepishly. "A guy on a skateboard ran into me on the street and knocked me over. But the glasses were the worst of it, thankfully I'm not bleeding or anything." The freckled teen smiled and gingerly touched the angry scrape on his cheek in demonstration. The abrasion was painful, but safe enough as far as Kaleb was concerned.

cibarium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

"If you think of your symbology as adding variables, that might be the case," Eve shrugged. "Personally, I'm trying to account for them."

After listening to Kaleb's account, she thought a little more. "Half an hour? You could conceptualize that amount of time in your thoughts when you cast, or add something to the casting space to signify it. What sounds easier to you?"

grey dragn

cibarium
Crew

Noob

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 pm

That made sense, if the variables required were already there, specifying their value might add more control rather than an extra source of instability.

"Writing it down sounds easier, is there a method for specifying time of day that might be best? Like the angle of the sun or... or a sundial, if the face of a clock itself won't work?" He looked back down at the page, there was still so much he didn't know about magic!

cibarium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:25 pm
bbyface

Jeremiah nodded, though tempted to say that a week was not actually enough- Well, there was a reason why he kept it at a carefully calculated level of stubble but a week was probably better and not too much.

He didn't need to end up with a Dumbledore beard or something.

His hand was pressed to where she said, Jeremiah reaching and tugging at the magic within him to focus. Except that nothing happened. At least, it seemed like something was going to and then ... nada.

Jeremiah blinked, a bit perplexed, and looked over to Eve.

fix-it-up

"I never knew that flying squirrels were opportunistic eaters until I had one as a familiar," admitted Nasir. He was fidgeting before he finally pulled out the container of baked goods he had brought along.

His thumb was twisting a ring on his finger before he tugged it off. The damage done from the fight with the Burning Man was obvious, the metal warped and puckered. There was even a burn mark on his finger as well but that he did not seem bothered by (as it was just now part of the collection).

"Could you- I mean ... this is my promise ring from Wil," his voice was soft, "Do you think we could fix it?"

c1barium

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

cibarium
Crew

Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:59 am
bbyface

Nothing?

Eve frowned, aggressively. She hadn't had nothing happen in months, and that was more frustrating than the mishaps. "Could you get some white poplar from Hellbine? Crushing the flowers in the circle should do something."

fix-it-up

"With a bit of risk, yes," Eve answered. She didn't want Nasir to try a rewind on something so valuable without a warning. "Such a personal item... wish I had some lily-of-the-valley," she pondered, looking through the floriography notes in her journal.

"I do have some wallflowers, though. They communicate fidelity in adversity and through misfortune. What do you think?"

"We already have a circle, so a clock face sounds just fine," Eve answered, writing that down in the journal. Then she drew the design out on a fresh sheet of paper, adding hour and minute hands. "Can you see well enough without them to do the casting?" she then asked, retrieving another seed pod from her moonwort plant. "All you need to do is visualize while breaking this open over the circle."

grey dragon

azuredreams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 am
sanic

Chester didn't actually know quite how to help with time magic, despite having offered to do so before. He brought one of his creations to the tea shop hoping Eve might be able to use it anyway, a shiny little spider made from an old raffle drum, plenty of otherworld gears and springs, and far too many tiny Hot Wheels tires.

"It can be ruined," he assured her, resting it on the table. "I make so many of them that I'm not particularly attached. I don't really know what to do with it though. Take it backwards until it falls apart? Forward until it rusts? It's up to you."

cibarium

Smerdle

Scamp

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 am

Kaleb looked hesitant, and then took off his glasses. It made him seem even more like a kid, especially when he made a face, and then shook his head. "Sorry, my vision is really bad... I think I can memorize it though, would that be enough?"

cibarium
Turn him loose and I will roll the thing! ^o^

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

"I think so," Eve nodded. "Give it a try, then."

sanic

The little magical spider-mech charmed Eve immediately, and she lit up a bit while observing it. "This is what you've been working on, then? It's certainly nontraditional..."

She meant it as a compliment. This was well outside of her own realm of imagined possibility, and that made her curious about its potential. "What can it do? We could try setting it to a simple task and speeding it up... it would take some extra work, but I think it'd be worth it to try."

grey dragon

smerdle

cibarium
Crew

Noob

Grey Dragon rolled 1 4-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-4)

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Kaleb nodded. He set the glasses down and accepted the seed pod, holding it close to his face to examine it rather owlishly, and then took a deep breath. When he closed his eyes the diagram was clear in his mind, along with the goal. All it needed was a little rewind.

It didn't take him long to find the quiet focus he had learned was important in works of magic, and when he cracked the moonwort seed pod open he felt the magic running through the lines under his hands. It felt like a glass replica of the design, flowing inexplicably in place, and was accompanied by a slight cracking sensation that might have been just another detail in his perception. Then it was gone.

He opened his eyes, glanced at the glasses, and then back at Eve with an unfocused look and a concerned expression. "Did it work?"

cibarium
3- Success!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:12 am
sanic

He smiled. "It's just a hobby." Chester doubted they could stop the cycles with a bunch of skittering scrap creatures. "Though maybe if I could get them to follow simple commands, they could take on suicide missions. Deliver secret notes where no familiar dares to tread." He already had the encryption power to pull something like that off, though since he was the only one who could decrypt his code that he knew of, sending messages to anyone else that way would be kind of useless.

"But that's beside the point. For now, this one just... goes. So I could set it on a course and speed it up, sure." It would be amusing to watch it zip away, especially on such small wheels.

cibarium

Smerdle

Scamp

cibarium
Crew

Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am

First try again, it looked like. "It seems to have worked," she answered proudly. "You'll know for sure if you put them back on."

sanic

"Could we do this outside, then? So it doesn't end up getting tripped on by somebody." And she didn't end up sued because of it.

grey dragon

smerdle

ashdown

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas