Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:47 am
Melany smiled at the ground, a little watery. "Yeah, I just, it's easier to think like that and feel safe... I'm sorry if it scared anyone."

She didn't look up. "I think she's on the other side, now," she said, "I think, I haven't seen her since I came to the library. She was at my apartment."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm
"Nah, numbers aren't scary. You were just a puzzle. But we've solved that." He waggled his fingers at the librarian as they scooted past. Luckily, it was a guy now, who couldn't judge Horace for his quick in-and-out.

The doors clanged closed behind then, the bracing air shivering across his skin. There was definitely magic involved here, but he wasn't sure how much was magic and how much was... Melany. Horace shrugged his coat higher up on his shoulders. "Well, I hope she stays there - that other place, yeah? Maybe you should avoid your apartment for now. You said someone knows your thoughts... do you want to close your eyes while I drive? That way even you don't know exactly where you are... I can text where you are to someone you trust, too, though." Horace rubbed the side of head thoughtfully.

"I dunno, it's up to you, Melany."

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm
"I don't even know if Shiloh wants to hear from me ever again," said Melany. "Closing my eyes sounds like a good idea and anyway it's okay if you do want to axe murder me, I don't care, I want to not hurt anyone else. If I'm dead that's not a problem anymore."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:38 pm
"I'm afraid I can't axe murder you. All my axes are out at the sharpener's." He opened the car door for Melany. "Plus, I think you're quite alright alive - there's always another solution." Before getting in, he sent a quick text to Shiloh, thankful he'd actually met the dude.

Text to Shiloh
hey got ur girl melany im taking her to my place. [address]. she was the numbers in the listserv. real shook up, said someones followin her. peace out

Then, he sent the text to Oliver. Might as well in case he came to a bad end.

Text to Oliver
19051404 1421040519, 151209220518

Then he got in and started the car. "Want any music? It's not a long drive." Though he was definitely going to take some extra turns, just in case.

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:24 pm
Melany shook her head. "I don't know what triggers it and I don't want to hurt anyone else," she said, pulling her hood down over her eyes and closing them for good measure. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:10 pm
"It's okay. It's the decisions you're making now that define who you are. You're not inherently a bad person. We'll figure it out." He started the car.

Horace drove quickly, but not foolishly (Oliver would beg to differ). He ran around several blocks to, uh, confuse the magic, he supposed. Shortly, however, they pulled to a stop.

"We're here. When we get inside, I want you to tell me about the woman following you, first - if that's okay." He hopped out of the car and went round to grab the door for Melany.

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 pm
"Yeah," said Melany. "I, uh, yes. Okay." She got out of the car, un-hiding her face. "I am really so sorry, I don't want to be a burden, I don't know what else to do..."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 pm
"If I'd thought you were a burden, I wouldn't have come to get you," he reminded her. "Don't worry about it." Even though he said those words, he knew she would. The feeling of being a burden never just faded because someone said it was okay. He opened the door and gestured for her to come in.

"Pop a squat on the couch. Want any coffee or a blanket or something? Whether or not she did, he definitely could use a cup, so Horace set about brewing a quick pot. Frowning, he grabbed something from the drawer and was back into the living room. It was pretty sparsely decorated, despite the fact that he'd been living her some years. Old habits died hard, he guessed.

He set a notepad on the coffee table, a pen stuck in it's spiral binding. Just in case. "Melany, do you feel comfortable telling me about the woman following you?"

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm
"Okay," said Melany to the coffee.

She picked up the notepad. "She looks kind of like this..." She spent a moment drawing on the notepad, and then showed the result to Horace. "I don't know her name. But she has a British accent, it's kind of RP?... and she always seems to know what I'm thinking..."

Melany hesitated. "It sounds crazy, I know."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Kind of RP - what was that? "R-roleplay?" he said incredulously, exposing a bit of his sordid online past. "I don't recognize her, but I'm not surprised." Horace frowned at the drawing. It was hard to recognize people from drawings, and for all he knew, this was some super magic b***h who appeared differently to different people.

"It doesn't sound crazy so much as magical." Like always, Horace preferred to believe until proven otherwise. "What sorts of stuff does she talk to you about? Also, have you told anyone else about her? I don't... if she's magic-based I'm sure how much help the police would be, but your apartment is obviously not safe."

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:46 pm
"Received Pronunciation," said Melany. "You know, the Brits that talk all posh? Like, not the ones who're like, oi bruv let's go for a cheeky nandos. The ones that are like Oh and would you like a spot of tea I went to an expensive private school and wear a belstaff." Her British accent, by the way, was spot-on.

Humor aside, Melany squirmed in her seat. "She told me to stay away from Shiloh, and from the police, too. I haven't told anybody... I mean I said someone was following me to someone who asked. She said that my freedom was temporary and she'd have me back under control soon." She swallowed, with difficulty, and looked at Horace's floor like it was really interesting.

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm
He laughed. "Have you ever been to Nando's?" It was not cheeky in the least. But it had good chicken, so there was that. Horace got up to grab the coffee, plunking a cup in front of Melany with some sugars.

"Well, she needs to <******** right on off, then," he said with feeling. Melany's British accents were damn good and he had smiled a bit... before she'd gotten to the part about control. "No one owns you. And we need to figure out a way magic bitches don't grab you." He frowned.

"For now, though, you can stay here for as long as you wish, really. I've got two bedrooms I don't even use. If you don't want to stay, I'll take you someplace else, though, uh maybe not your apartment?" He chewed his lips. "Secondly, we need to figure out who she is and how to circumvent her. And... thirdly. I want you to think vaguely about the sorts of things you were doing when the other you happens. But if you feel any sort of weird pressure or anything, stop." Magical DID... if that was a thing. Was that a thing? Horace was doing a lot of frowning as he talked.

He touched the drawing. "Can I have this? I can ask around and not mention you, of course, but to see if anyone knows her."

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm
"Nope," said Melany. "I've been to Hooters, though." Those were not the same thing at all, Melany. What the hell.

She took the coffee for something to do, and drank it black, because that was her way. "Okay," she said, and she pushed the notebook over towards Horace. "The problem is that once I start hearing her, I don't stop. Like, the only time I've heard her and not passed out was this one time, with Shiloh? He was scared, and he clutched my hand really tight, so tight it bruised!, and she... disappeared." Melany shrugged helplessly. "I can do all that, though. She's just... really imperious... hard to ignore."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:11 pm
"...Hooters. That's probably the most Oklahoman thing I've heard since moving here." Hooters were a dime a dozen there and there was some sort of rite of passage thing among boys in his home state with going to Hooters. Hell, he knew a girl in high school who'd set foot in a Hooters and was told if she came back on her 18th birthday she'd be hired. Kind of gross.... no, totally gross.

He neatly tore off the page and, after folding it, slid it inside his wallet. "Do you want me to ask Shiloh to come over? I mean, I can try to pull you back, I might shock you, though." He held up his hands. "It's a thing I have."

shibrogane

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 pm
Melany frowned at him. "It was a Hooters in New Jersey, okay, I've never even been to Oklahoma on a layover..." She shook her head. "She threatened to kill him," she said. "I'd rather be dead than hurt him, and she hurt him really badly, and I think just being around when she's there hurts him, and--"

Melany kind of shrunk in on herself, staring into her coffee.

"If it's okay," she said, "I would like to stay here. You can shock me if you've gotta."

The Semblance of Unity

ashdown

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces