• Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am
Pop music 101
Some simple instructions
For a good first impression
Now let's start with verse one

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A minor chord, tensions grow
Fade in the bass like so
Now with momentum go "stop"
And bring the beat back...

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:23 am
Polair had been struggling with her performance. She wasn't sure what she should do. Sure she more or less knew what she could say-- speeches were something she always did. She only needed flair for it. Why did Claud wanted her to be in this?

Upon receiving sponsorship confirmations, Polair also received a letter from Cerpin. This time, he was offering his help. The highblood knew that with his mannerisms and ideas, he could definitely get her out of this struggle. It was funny though, she couldn't help feel nervous about the whole thing. Arriving Underworld, Polair folded back her retractable cane and set her things down.

"Cerpin?" She called out. "I'm here."
Yamashii
repokes!!

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Yamashii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:17 am
"Glad you could make it, Pol." He had clearly been waiting for her. Cerpin was determined to make sure the trolls he was sponsoring made it far through this competition. He knew his old friend Polair would be great if she needed to explain the cycles of the moons or the physics behind an ocean wave. Now they just needed to make that a little more accessible to the average troll. A little more catchy and a little more sexy.

"Tonight! We! Are! Gonna! Dance!" He grinned and grabbed different parts of her body and positioned them in a stance as he spoke. She was a quick learner and he had no doubts she would pick up the choreography quick. He mostly just needed to convince her this was a good idea..

"What'dya say? You gonna let me teach you the Underworld dance moves?"

There was an audible click as the sound system turned on and began to play a track and Cerpin's voice soon joined in!

ImaginationsParadise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 pm
Being manipulated like a mannequin sure felt weird, but if this was part of the whole ordeal... Then Polair had to deal with that weird feeling. "Uh... Sure. You're the expert here." She said, holding the pose for a moment and then going back to her natural stance. The seadweller knew Cerpin was smart in his areas of interest and she was willing to learn from the best. More since he seemed ok with her condition. Unless he didn't remember about it...

She hadn't really talked much about the whole blind thing. "Remeber that I'm..." She breathed in slightly, running her fingers through her hair as she heard him sing. Really, she liked how Cerpin's voice sounded and how her bracelets picked it up. It's a nice frequency and all. "Remember this might be a bit harder. I appreciate you wanting to teach me though. Please, bear with any inconveniences I might bring."

"Do you think I'm cut out for it? I mean-- I'm not really popular with the party trolls and... Well I don't think I could ever see myself dancing like them." Science and Popular culture never really mixed well together. It was like trying to mix oil and water.

"I'm considered too boring I guess? But if you can explain the concept of fun and, uh, funky... You know, concepts commonly found in a party and fun-filled environment that might help me out as well."

Yamashii

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Yamashii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm
"You'll be fine, Pol. You're a fast learner." Cerpin laughed, waving away her concerns about her disability. Probably the hardest part of teaching her would be getting her to lower her inhibitions enough to look goofy, not her blindness. Dance was a lot of trial and error, a lot of silly and suave.

"I know you're super smart. So just think of it like math. Music is math and dance is just motion to music." Cerpin was not versed in math enough to explain deep nuances in the relationship about how sound waves worked and such but he knew Polair would be able to understand rhythm and beats from this connection. He placed his hands on her hips and shifted her hips to sway to the beat.

"You don't have to dance like everyone else. But I'm not gonna let you go on the show and sing without moving around the stage a bit. So I'll teach you the basic moves." He wasn't sure if Polair would retain this information past Superstar Authority but he wanted to make sure she didn't embarrass herself in front of the cameras.

"The first one is a slide. Step to the side with your right foot and slide your left one to meet it on the beat. We'll go back and forth a few times before adding arms, cool?"

ImaginationsParadise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 pm
"Think of it like math?" She said confused. Separating the variables to see if what Cerpin said was correct. Could this be mapped as a vector? And if so, what variables should she calculate? Polair scratched her arm while she put some thought into it.

His voice pushed her our of her train of thoughts though, only making her catch that last part where he had stated he'd be teaching her the basics. "A-alright." That would do for now anyways, she had time to practice and she sure as hell would do so every night until the performance.

The highblood was thankful for his clear instructions. Initially Polair thought this would be very confusing and alienating but, the way the purpleblood specified "the slide", it seemed as simple as a linear motion formula.

"Okay... You mean like this?" She simply stepped one foot to the side, no grace, flair or style and proceeded to slide the other foot (again, no grace/flair/style whatsoever). "I mean, if I were to relate this to math, I'd say this is more or less a straight line. Straight lines are usually associated with slopes, number lines and 180˚ degrees angles. And if I were to think if this on a physical plane, it would be correct to say that no object has ever traveled in a straight line with constant acceleration anywhere in the universe at any time— not today, not yesterday, not tomorrow, not five billion sweeps ago, not thirty billion sweeps in the future, never. This I can say with absolute metaphysical certainty."

She did another slide to prove her point. It could appear as if it traveled in a straight line, but that could also be optical tricks. Not that she could really see those. "Do you understand? Basically I'm trying to grasp the concept of "the slide" by deriving equations that can be used to describe the motion of an object, in this case my foot, in terms of its three kinematic variables: velocity, displacement, and time." He was right about one thing-- Math could be applied to this, which was a good thing for her.

Yamashii

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Yamashii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:42 pm
"As long as you're doing it to the beat, you'll be fine." Cerpin would not lie and say that Polair's dancing was the freshest or hippest thing he'd ever seen but thankfully they weren't aiming to win a dancing contest. It just had to be good enough so that people wouldn't think she was a complete nerd (even if she was). He reached down to guide her leg and control the speed of it.

"Something like this. Doesn't have to be at a constant speed, you can start slow and move faster as you hit the next beat. Make sense?" Music continued to play in the background, providing a basic rhythm for them to practice to. He hoped her song choice for the show wouldn't be something crazy fast and difficult to dance to.

"Think you've got the hang of it?" They'd move on once she was comfortable with this. He was a little nervous how she would take to the next move but it was an important one for any representative of Underworld!

ImaginationsParadise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:12 pm
"I see..." She said as Cerpin guided her leg, making sure she understood what he meant. At that moment, the seadweller was changing formulas and seeking out those that didn't involve constant speed. "That means I should use either speed or velocity for this... Interesting. I should probably try to find the time it takes to do this-- calculate it with the amount of minutes I'll have available." She muttered while analyzing the situation through and through.

Polair tried the move a few times until she thought she had the hang of it. Just follow the beat, and use math... Simple. She thought. "Hm, this is quite easy." She said with a small smirk on her face. And she thought this would be a challenge! Hah. With a brilliant thinkpan, this mere physical movement was nothing tho the equations she tried solving!

"Ok, I think I understood the Slide." Polair said with confidence. "Just need to determine the speed and time to find the right distance for my foot to travel. That would be Distance = Speed x Time. Basic physics, if you ask me." She chuckled.

"What's next Cerpin?"

Yamashii

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Yamashii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:15 pm
"Next one's a bit harder. It's called a body roll." He gave the girl's hand an encouraging squeeze after her success with the slide. Polair was doing a lot better than he had expected and he was proud of her for that. Blindness wasn't slowing her down at all. Music continued to play in the background as he positioned her body in a neutral stance.

"I want you to roll your shoulders back and push your chest forward." His hand went to her back to help guide the motion. "Roll the movement downward through your torso like you're sitting down. That's one roll." It was more complicated than the first step which probably meant more complicated confusing math equations that he wouldn't understand. But that was okay, whatever it took to help her understand it.

"Once you get the hang of it, you can do it a few times in a row." He would've demonstrated for her but he wasn't sure if that would help or not seeing as she couldn't, well, see him.

"Maybe think of it like a wave?"

ImaginationsParadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:33 pm
"Body Roll, okay..." She said to herself as Cerpin explained the next move. The highblood had to admit it sounded complicated. Again, she was guided just like the first move but whenever she tried on her own, Polair would get stuck. It was as if her upper body and her lower body weren't in sync. "Hmm... A wave moving vertically perhaps but... I can't quite grasp on the concept."

Back in a neutral pose Polair placed her hands together, forefingers touching her lips as she analyzed the situation and the move in her brain. It probably would have been better to use her inside voices, but hey, Cerpin was the expert her and he would indicate if her deductions were right. "Rolling shoulders back would imply using circular motions... Circular motions can be either centripetal or centrifugal forces which acceleration plays an important role... Force will always be mass times acceleration. In this case I would need to keep in mind my weight, which is still a force."

It was probably not such a good idea to involve this much science into dancing. Why was she stressing out like this? Was it fear of not understanding or simply didn't want to disappoint Cerpin? She hated both things, she really hated being a disappointment and hated not being able to grasp on some concepts. She was taking the steps necessary so why wasn't her body responding like it should?

"F sub g, which is simply called 'the force of gravity' or 'the weight' is equal to mass times acceleration due to gravity. Answers will always be measured in newtons... Oh glub, must calculate it with Alternia's gravitational force which is 9.8 m/s^2!" Polair was beginning to feel like her brain was overheating from this.

"However, circular motions will always involve circles and those are all about circumference, radius-- But the circumference of what exactly, the clavicle, the scapula? No. Those on their own cannot possibly deliver the movement. But maybe using my musculoskeletal system as a whole instead of individual pieces would work? Cerpin, am I on the right track?" She asked and moved her hair to the front, touching and naming the muscles and bones one her back while confirming which ones moved in this dance step.

"But then again I can't seem to move them right... Anatomically, the transverse, frontal and sagittal planes are they key to this and... wait... Wait, I think I got it."
Polair snapped her fingers and placed her feet shoulder-width apart.

"You mentioned downward motions, sitting down was just an example of this which I completely forgot with all these formulas. I guess I can make sense of this if I visualize this in a spatiotemporal way. You know, picturing the movement in a three-dimensional instead of two-dimensional and using x, y and z-axis to coordinate things might do the trick." The highblood cleared her mind some and did a few squats until she felt a bit comfortable moving to the next step.

"Just being aware of where my pelvis is. Okay..." Polair cleared her throat, untied her sarong and tossed it to the side. Right now, she couldn't have any other variables interrupting her movements. The seadweller took a deep breath in while remembering Cerpin's instructions once more and pushed her chest forward. She placed her hands on her hips and sort of felt as if she would fall backwards. However, instead of giving in to gravity, Polair pushed the weight back using her lower back body. It was a bit clumsy but, hey, it was a first!

"Like that?" Pol couldn't help but smile a bit. This was ridiculous, this was something new and kind of... fun? "Wait, let me try it again." She said, trying out the move a couple more times until her giggles got the best of her. Polair couldn't believe that after so many complicated formulas and theories, it came down to simple ones. Did she always over-complicated things for herself?

"I'm sorry, I'm just... I'm just messing around. Mind helping me a bit?"
Truth to be told, she felt more comfortable and confident than before.

Yamashii
I am so sorry for her rambling

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Yamashii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm
He honestly didn't understand a damn thing she was saying. Cerpin watched her make sense of it all in her own unique way, swapping formulas and variables until she grasped the general concepts of what was going on. It certainly sounded impressive, Tevini probably would've understood and been able to help translate. He clapped when she completed her first clumsy but decent roll.

"You're doing great, Pol. Sure, I'll help you out." He pressed against the backside of her body, figuring this was the best way he could physically show her the flow of motion in the step. Positioning her would only do so much for a fluid movement like a body roll. Cerpin placed his hands on her waist to guide it as he began the step. The two of them rolled together in relaxed unison to the music. It was a very intimate position but he didn't mind. He'd known her so long that such closeness felt normal and fine.

"Make sense?" He could tell Polair was a quick learner, she probably would easily pick this up now. The seadweller was very adaptable and flexible. He smiled and hid a chuckle at the innuendo.

"Once you get this down, it's time to freestyle!" More like, time for a surprise. He had something very special ready. He couldn't wait to show it to her!

ImaginationsParadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:15 pm
This was actually fun and educational. Polair wasn't bothered by having her personal space invaded, as she allowed this to happen and she was learning. So while bodies rolled in unison, Polair analyzed each and every movement delivered It made such sense now.

"Yes!" She said, while her mind processed the whole movement one last time before doing it herself more fluidly than the last time. "Just need to practice a few more times before getting it right." The seadweller was determined to get it right.

Now it was time for... freestyle? Oh no.

Polair's confident aura suddenly dissipated as a small wave of anxiety took over her. Dancing concepts? Those were fine, anything that had a name, that had some known restrictions... Those she could process but something improvised or something done in an unrestricted fashion? Those were always dangerous. Claud always said so and... He got that point across years ago, she was surprised that she even managed to survive that.

With clammy hands she rubbed the back of her neck. "I-I... don't do freestyle very well." The highblood gulped. "I'll mess it up... I always have."
Yamashii

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Alternia RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers